My Tokuyama station layout

Eurostar25

Hi Paul, yes these are the greenmax 2115 portals.

I've got them pressed up against the viaduct track inside the tunnel, and have made custom viaduct sides for the portions outside the tunnel. I did have to chip away a bit of the portal frame to get them to sit in one gap but nothing a sharp craft knife couldn't handle.

They come as gray moulded plastic and will need a bit of dirtying up with pastels if they're to look like the picture on the packet but the groove lines are there so they'll take pastel dust well I imagine. All that to come later on when I weather the entire module

Hi Scott,

Yeah,I m going to weather mine all in one go when I get around to it,as well as looking very grey at the moment,it looks very new! Almost like a city been rebuilt after a demolition job!

Paul

Another day of progress, painting the plaster green then applying ground foam.

A couple of tomytec buildings have arrived and been put into place.

The temple also arrived but it's was out of shot drying on its panel that sits on top of the hill.

There will be a walkway up from the car park up to the temple once I get around to it.

Another vacuum session and touch up tomorrow and then more painting and possibly weathering too.

post-921-0-86933800-1458537236_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Oh wow! That's just perfect! I REALLY should be ashamed of my progress... The mountain looks great now! Can I ask what's going to go in the centre hole?

Hi JR500, this is the temple sitting on its base.

Yet to have any scenic material or walls to help hide it within the mountain.

post-921-0-82801600-1458539450_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I think you need to have it hinge off with the hidden rocket base under it in the mountain! Yes mr Blofeld, yes...

Jeff

Ps excellent scenery device to hide your access hatch!

Edited by cteno4

I had a go at fitting the module next to the station module. Didn't quite line up as seamlessly as I thought but I can live with it.

It's not entirely finished, still plenty more people and vehicles to be added and street lights too but I'm ok with the state its at at present. Life's got a bit busy at present so I'll hold off doing any work on it for a month or so but am hopeful to pick up a few detail parts when I travel to Japan next week.

I'll get the river scene connected too at some stage, perhaps when I've bought another table to place it on. Plenty of the kato transition pieces are certainly on the to buy list!

post-921-0-81239300-1459248441_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-83431900-1459248460_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Haven't done a lot of modelling of late, as I had my wedding to get done,( which apparently was more important :-p !)

I had a lot of my wife's family stay recently and it was great to see their reaction when they instantly recognised their home station with a bunch of shinkansen running through it.

We've just arrived in Japan to do round 2 this week, the cherry blossoms are still in bloom but gee it's cold in Narita, so I don't expect them to last much longer!

Won't have much time to go shopping but I've noticed one evening spare in our schedule when we're back in Tokyo so I've already created a shopping list of detail items that I want to pick up, mainly buildings and a couple of power packs due to the cost of shipping these items to NZ.

Will post about my purchases in due course!

• Like 2

Congrats.

I would really love some time roaming around Yamaguchi - Tsuwano, Akiyoshido, Hagi, a lap on the Nishikicko Railway, etc.  I have much envy. haha

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

Big Congrats on your wedding. Just celebrated 34yr anniversary with my lovely wife who probably agrees with your partner re significance of model railways, but usually just rolls her eyes or sighs or gives me that look ( what asylum did they release you from)Lol!

Noticed some very good prices for travel to Japan recently, but my wife knows why I wish to go!!drat!

• Like 1

Congrats Eurostar!! Best wishes! If she married you while you were playing with trains then it's no worry there was full disclosure! She is stuck with it/you, no fixing that property of you!

Enjoy the Japan trip.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 2

Thanks guys! Yup the trains have always been lurking in the background, not sure if she accepts them so to speak but she knows they're there!

Ironically I'm in a hotel this evening overlooking Tokuyama station but from the opposite side to which I modelled it!

• Like 2

Thanks guys! Yup the trains have always been lurking in the background, not sure if she accepts them so to speak but she knows they're there!

Ironically I'm in a hotel this evening overlooking Tokuyama station but from the opposite side to which I modelled it!

Green with envy!

• Like 1

Back in New Zealand now, and time for another module to begin.

This time it's also a corner module, that will connect to the other half of tokuyama station which is yet to be built.

This scene will be of the shrine grounds that we got married on (best way to keep her happy)

It's based in tokuyama and is just down the road from the station itself so it fits in well. My orientation will be flipped 180 though in fitting with the planned loop of the layout

It gives plenty of possibilities, twin tracks, viaduct and local, the gas works in the background, and the shrine being the main feature. I've bought a few kits which I think i can kitbashed together to make the scene plausible.

I hope to replicate a wedding shot we took which caught a N700 shinkansen speeding past in the background.

Will post updates in due course.

post-921-0-29842600-1461619922_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-80938900-1461619981_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-03023900-1461620003_thumb.jpg

post-921-0-93280400-1461627381_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eurostar25
  • Like 4
Smallrailbs

Looking fantastic. Great planning and modelling technique. Love how you finish each module b4 going on. How do you join each module both physically and electrically? Love your work envious of your Japan trips.

Bernie

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hi Bernie, thanks for the comments. The modules are connected by the Kato expansion rails which can vary from 78mm to 108mm so they're very handy as I find most gaps are 85-95mm with the way I've attached the rails down and the distance from the rear side of the module. The modules themselves just sit on trestle tables at present, but hopefully in the future I'll look at a more permanent way of attaching them to one another by some form of clips perhaps.

As for power, it's basic at this stage, only a KATO powerpack with feeder track that gets attached at various module ends to test that the track is ok particularly as I weather the tracks to hide the plastic look. There will be feeder tracks added to upcoming modules for a more permanent power supply and ultimately I'll need 4 power packs for the 4 separate loops but I'll probably look at picking them up while overseas to avoid the postage costs.