" Smooth DC Power Pack " .......help !

signalmanson

signalmanson

Hi everyone.

I'm in the process of setting up DC and DCC control - I know why would I do that ?

I'm devoting one track to DC for exclusive use with Kato Soundbox.

That leaves me with 2 tracks for DCC.

My Digitrax Zephyr DCS50 manual states " You can add any Loconet throttle to your DCS50 or you can use one or two smooth DC power packs as Jump throttles "

Any help would be most welcome.

EDIT....... " By smooth I think they mean one that is not a pulse type power pack."

So can anyone help please ?

Edited by signalmanson

The just ports are for controlling DCC trains.  You have the controller on the Zephyr, and you can add up to 2 throttles.  So you assign a DCC train to the jump port throttle.  So you can control 3 DCC trains with 3 throttles simultaneously.

If you are wanting to use the sound box, then you wouldn't do this.  You would set it up the normal DC way.

Edited by katoftw

For the Kato sound box, you need a Kato or similar throttle. Connect them together and completly isolate the DC loop from the DCC ones. If you want to control 2 more DCC locomotives on the DCC side of your layout, then you can use any old non pulse power packs or just a potmeter and a polarity switch powered off a 12V DC auxiliary source.

signalmanson

The just ports are for controlling DCC trains.  You have the controller on the Zephyr, and you can add up to 2 throttles.  So you assign a DCC train to the jump port throttle.  So you can control 3 DCC trains with 3 throttles simultaneously.

If you are wanting to use the sound box, then you wouldn't do this.  You would set it up the normal DC way.

Yes, sorry but my question is whether the DC Power Pack I have is suitable to connect to the Jump Port. I am trying to establish what is meant by a " Smooth DC Power Pack "

signalmanson

For the Kato sound box, you need a Kato or similar throttle. Connect them together and completly isolate the DC loop from the DCC ones. If you want to control 2 more DCC locomotives on the DCC side of your layout, then you can use any old non pulse power packs or just a potmeter and a polarity switch powered off a 12V DC auxiliary source.

Ah thanks kvp.

Showing my ignorance but what does 'non pulse' mean

what does 'non pulse' mean

A power pack the emits a constant voltage. So if you look at the signal through an oscilloscope, you see a smooth constant voltage that can be be set on the power pack. A pulse pack on the other hand has a non horizontal waveform because it either emits a pulsing sinus line signal or a pulse width modulated rectangle wave. They can't be beasured easily, so the DCC unit can't use the voltage as a speed input.

If you power pack is similar to a Kato example, then yes you can use it.

Imho the Kato pack is using a form of pulse power:

http://www.sumidacrossing.org/Musings/files/131222_Kato%20DC%20Power%20Pack.php

(the waveform is anything but smooth)

signalmanson

Well I intend to use my Kato Power Pack for the separate DC loop with Soundbox.

The power pack I was considering using for additional throttles with the Zephyr is a Guagemaster Series D Twin Track ( British made )

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't likely to cause any damage.

I guess the worst that could happen is the operation would not be ' smooth '  ?

Either the DCC controller mentioned by Kato accepts pulse power or something is wrong. Anyway smooth DC doesn't look like a rectified sinus wave. However if the Kato pack is powered from smooth DC instead of AC, then the output will be smooth DC too.

The Gaugemaster outputs a similar waveform to the Kato. (i have a solo unit) Yes, the worst thing that can happen is getting unstable speed settings for the two DCC locos.

Well I intend to use my Kato Power Pack for the separate DC loop with Soundbox.

Yes, that's probably what Kato would suggest for the Soundbox.