Noob question - Need help

JR 500系

Sorry for the noob question, but I was thinking, where do you guys send your defective train sets for repair? My newest addition the Tomix E1 Max is neither moving nor has front/ rear lights. I tried dismantling the end cars but the bulbs were not even lighting up. The motor car is worse, it refuses to move at all.

Is it possible to send items to their respective brand service centres: Kato to Kato shop, or Tomix to Tomix world, don't know where to send GreenMax or MicroAce models, and they will actually repair the model for you for a fee? I don't mind paying a little fee to get my E1 up and running again, but I hope Tomix will accept repairs as I was thinking of bringing the model to Japan in 2 weeks time to get it repaired.

Or do normal retailers, like Tam Tam or Hobbyland Pochi or Popondetta do repairs, even if the set is not bought from them?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

From a not so happy E1 owner...

• Like 1
HantuBlauLOL

To whom you got it from.

Btw does the motor works? Or completely not responding?

Can you open the motor and lightboard, put the contacts on the rail, and turn it on and it works? If yes, it's copper pickup/spring must be the problem.

Edited by HantuBlauLOL

Sorry for the noob question, but I was thinking, where do you guys send your defective train sets for repair? My newest addition the Tomix E1 Max is neither moving nor has front/ rear lights. I tried dismantling the end cars but the bulbs were not even lighting up. The motor car is worse, it refuses to move at all.

Is it possible to send items to their respective brand service centres: Kato to Kato shop, or Tomix to Tomix world, don't know where to send GreenMax or MicroAce models, and they will actually repair the model for you for a fee? I don't mind paying a little fee to get my E1 up and running again, but I hope Tomix will accept repairs as I was thinking of bringing the model to Japan in 2 weeks time to get it repaired.

Or do normal retailers, like Tam Tam or Hobbyland Pochi or Popondetta do repairs, even if the set is not bought from them?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

From a not so happy E1 owner...

MicroAce seem to offer a repair service: http://www.microace-arii.co.jp/query/after.html

but don't ask me for details, I came across it while looking for spare parts, which that page says they don't provide.

Kato also offer a repair service: http://www.katomodels.com/info/repair.shtml , again I can only point out its existence.

Is this the “Old Color” E1 Max you mentioned in the other thread?  According to Google it was released in 1995.  I guess it’ll be quite difficult trying to find replacement parts for something that old.

I wonder whether the 92059 shells will fit on 92834 or 98903 running parts?  If they did then you could try and make some type of hybrid “Old Color” E1 Max with modern Tomix flywheel motors, all-wheel pickup and hook-and-ring power coupler.  That would be a one-of-a-kind set if it could be done!

Kinda related to the issue but of no help to JR500.  Modelrailroading in Australia is a small hobby compared to modelrailroading in Japan/USA/Europe.  I see a small business opportunity for repair work in Australia.  It could never be a full time business as it wouldn't create enough income to support my lifestyle, but as a hobby business it would work.

Thanks guys for the replies!

To whom you got it from.

Btw does the motor works? Or completely not responding?

Can you open the motor and lightboard, put the contacts on the rail, and turn it on and it works? If yes, it's copper pickup/spring must be the problem.

It's second hand from Yahoo Auctions, so I guess no returns allowed nor will they entertain such problems. I will try your suggestions again today to see if any of these are possible solutions. Thanks!

MicroAce seem to offer a repair service: http://www.microace-arii.co.jp/query/after.html

but don't ask me for details, I came across it while looking for spare parts, which that page says they don't provide.

Kato also offer a repair service: http://www.katomodels.com/info/repair.shtml , again I can only point out its existence.

Thanks squid! Tomix doesn't seem to have a repair service, or can I bring to Tomix centre? I think it needs to be sent through a retailer if i'm not wrong...

Is this the “Old Color” E1 Max you mentioned in the other thread?  According to Google it was released in 1995.  I guess it’ll be quite difficult trying to find replacement parts for something that old.

I wonder whether the 92059 shells will fit on 92834 or 98903 running parts?  If they did then you could try and make some type of hybrid “Old Color” E1 Max with modern Tomix flywheel motors, all-wheel pickup and hook-and-ring power coupler.  That would be a one-of-a-kind set if it could be done!

Yes mrp, it's that one. It's really old, and not moving... It's actually  really nice idea to combine them! But this way it's exorbitant cost and i'll either get a non-moving new colour E1 or a non-moving old colour E1...

Kinda related to the issue but of no help to JR500.  Modelrailroading in Australia is a small hobby compared to modelrailroading in Japan/USA/Europe.  I see a small business opportunity for repair work in Australia.  It could never be a full time business as it wouldn't create enough income to support my lifestyle, but as a hobby business it would work.

It's an idea, but the amount of repairs one get might not be sufficient. Or the service provided might not be profitable enough. A hobby business is fine, but there are times whereby one might be tied down busy with other stuff and there's an outstanding service to be done yet it's not really profitable to make time out for it. I for one is looking for these services too ~  :)

I've used the micro ace repair in the past but it had to be submitted by a hobby shop in Japan.

Jeff

I guess so too Jeff. It has to show some connection if not anyone will walk into the repair shop with a faulty model from unknown source... But then again, so long the repair fees are profitable for the repair section and affordable to the customer, I think it's still fine...

HantuBlauLOL

Afaik tomix used to have an unlimited spare part supply, just find the broken part code, and ask someone in Japan to buy it for you.

And a current parts pdf:

I notice that on railsquid’s link they do say that they may not be able to repair any models that finished production more than 5 years ago.

※基本性能における修理の場合、製造打ち切り後5年たっているものにつきましては、やむをえず修理不能で製品をお返しさせていただく
場合がございますので、事前にお問い合わせください。

• Like 1

Hello Mr JR500

I own two sets of E1.  First based on 92059/60.  Second based on 92212/3.

The light board that you require is 0777, which replaces 0772.  Both use bulbs.  http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10009910  It is widely available.

BEFORE YOU ORDER: I had problem with dirty pickup on the bogie.  Suggest you work through the various electrical parts and clean and  polish.  You might find your E1 magically comes to life.  Also, sometimes the contact on 0772 is not good with the metal strips.  It is best to "tin" the contacts by applying solder.

• Like 1

Hi JR500 - I also have an E1 from Tomix and I had a lot of problems with it......I did what E6 suggested and I got it working, it did need a through cleaning, even today I'm constantly lubricating and cleaning that set.

Hello Mr Bernard,

Yes.  Actually, I have another set on the way that I picked up recently on Yahoo.  It was mainly to get a spare set of the two rare cars. 

I find that the E1 bogie seems to allow the pickups to sit loosely in the frame.  I bent them ever so slightly.  I polished all contacts from the pickups, springs, copper strips, and light boards.  Also, on one light board, I was unable to get the solder to flow through the tiny hole of the circuit board to the pickup on the underside, so I painted solder around the edge of the board to close the circuit.  The circuit board itself sits very firmly within the shell.  For some reason, the metal strips in the E1 seem to tarnish badly.  So keep the humidity down.

Thanks guys for the advices!

It's a good idea to dismantle & clean the car. Will do so soon to see if it helps. Also checked that the centre cars are missing the spring assembly hence the interior light wont work.

Question, is there a power coupler bogie for the E1? I saw on my Tomix parts catalogue, i could find the power car bogie with power coupler, but that was for the newer E1 version. Can it also work on my older 92059 E1 set?

NuclearErick

Well this what i have here...

92059:

E153-100      +       E155       +       E146      +       E154

Nº1                       Nº6                 Nº11               Nº12

E155-100       +     E158-200  +      E148       +      E145

Nº2                        Nº8                  Nº9                Nº10

ADDs:

E156-100        +     E158-100  +      E159     +       E156

Nº3                          Nº4                 Nº5                 Nº7

so in order to have the complete set is:

T                                                                         T

E153-100  +  E155-100   +   E156-100      +    E158-100  +      E159     +   E155   +    E156   +  E158-200  +     E148    +   E145  +   E146    +     E154

Nº1                 Nº2                  Nº3                     Nº4                 Nº5             Nº6           Nº7            Nº8                9            Nº10       Nº11            Nº12

92059             62060              (2843)                (2844)            (2845)        92059       (2847)      62060           62060        62060     92059          92059

or (2840M)

(2847) and (2840M)

without or with extra motor

*the (2851) is the Nº11 Car i think is because of the 92212/92213 sets, above is the 92059/92060

since you have 6 cars in your 92059 case i dont what cars do you have

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n142393151

only 2 hours left

another:

http://page21.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j343728555

this is JUNK: i dont know why...

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n142308067

post-866-0-84840900-1428026864_thumb.jpg

post-866-0-42220100-1428026866_thumb.jpg

Edited by NuclearErick
  • Like 1

Thank you Erick! That was most beneficial! But I need to see if my E1 is able to move first before buying add-ons. No point in getting the full set but the train isn't moving... I'll take a closer look at the E1 motor car and end cars again in the weekend to try to see what is wrong with it...

NuclearErick

If you dont have the blank shart of the 92059 i will made a xerox for you when you arrive in Nagoya :D