tools and parts used in Union Pacific's steam shop

miyakoji

G'day Miyakoji, 

Unlike the rest of the tools and components shown, the binder bolts aren't part of the boiler. Binder bolts are used to secure the pedestal binders to the locomotive or truck frames. Pedestal binders go across the bottom of the axlebox openings in the frames, which in US practice are called pedestals. In UK practice the openings are known as hornguides and the binders are known as hornstays. This image shows the frame of Baldwin's 4-10-2 demonstrator loco No.60000 with the pedestal binders in place:

17048611401_988641f23d_b.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_60000

You'll notice that the pedestal faces are not parallel, and there's another bolt projecting upwards on the right hand side of the binder. This bolt allows adjustment of the axle box wedges to take up wear.

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=7ksUAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA801&lpg=PA801&dq=franklin+driving+box+wedge&source=bl&ots=Pvo5oORLJg&sig=o8LkncnTgqEuKvPAcaVtG617EKU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=PvYhVZiMI5Ho8AW-sIHQDw&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=franklin%20driving%20box%20wedge&f=false

This is an interesting video for someone like me. At various time throughout my career I've made similar parts and used all of these types of tools on a number of locomotive rebuilds. Thanks for posting it! :)

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1

Sorry Miyakoji, I didn't see your reply until today.

I'm very familiar with this engine - I worked on it from 1988 until it was handed back to the RTM in 2006. :(

The irony is that the justification for returning the engine to Thirlmere was that 3801 Ltd didn't have the resources to rebuild the engine within a reasonable timeframe. Nine years later the poor old girl still isn't running...

This is me with '01 in August 2004:

3347491765_cb904a99c6_z_d.jpg?zz=1

The A1 Trust are a very professional group with all of the skills necessary to manage a new-build steam loco project. Unfortunately the same can't be said of the Office of Rail Heritage or it's successor Transport Heritage NSW.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1