Hantu's Workshop

HantuBlauLOL

HantuBlauLOL
Hello guys, firstly i want to say, welcome to my thread!   :toothy12:

This thread wont be filled only with my layout, but also what i'm working on (model railroad related, of course).

this is my layout. Because i don't have the space for a permanent one, so i decided to make some plug and play modules so i can play anytime i want without worrying where should i place it.

here is the plan, going to split it err.. maybe 12 modules (+-420mm long per modules).

post-2495-0-88686600-1426865094_thumb.jpg

pre-building

10405362_813436462032517_293942140900407

this layout unfortunately wont be Japanese themed. But it would be a Depok Baru station located in my country, Indonesia. the rolling stocks would be 80% Japanese however.

93_big.jpg

so far i have completed the rail placement on straight modules, don't have time yet to work again..

post-2495-0-12923200-1426862874_thumb.jpg

the upper section would be an imaginary station, its a rural station.

post-2495-0-42721400-1426863310_thumb.jpg

post-2495-0-18606300-1426863334_thumb.jpg

on the other side of hobby, i'm also scratchbuilding trains, because some of the locomotive and coaches served in my country is not available in N scale.

here is some examples:

BB201 class, just a dummy model

post-2495-0-73821500-1426863346_thumb.jpg

BB204 class, its fully functional except for the lighting. i built an entirely new mechanism out from my unused spareparts.

post-2495-0-83989700-1426863970_thumb.jpg

here is the mech

post-2495-0-16782500-1426863582_thumb.jpg

back then, i also used to have one more locomotive, its a BB303 class locomotive, from a heavily modified EH500 chassis (it was broken back then, now i've restored it.).

10370362_806291996080297_535682812094534

rear view

10599150_802590303117133_652786765671576

when it was unpainted

10592799_797761100266720_564798394926538

then i got disappointed with the final result, and decided to make a printed paper body one, this time a BB304 class. along with paper coaches too.

10403684_778070298902467_690884942392851

a broken MCW302 class diesel railcar made by Nippon Sharyo in the 70's, now reused as a local train coach.

10151374_813436802032483_392082249198765

this was too short however, so i decided to dismantle it..

Not only trains, i decided to make my own trackwork too, as there are some unused finetracks left..

a turnout

post-2495-0-46685700-1426864546_thumb.jpg

also a turntable, but failed and i decided to abandon it, well..

any input will be valuable for me, thank you for viewing!  :blob3:

• Like 8

Since you ask for any input, you might want to check the focus on your photos before you post them.

I was interested in your BB204 mechanism, but can't really see it.  The image says 80 KB, but I don't know where all those KB are hiding ;-)

HantuBlauLOL

The pic isn't showing or?

I used a phone camera though, I used to have a better camera but.. It's out of service. I'll take another pic tomorrow.

It's actually pretty similar to tomytec tm-03 mech..

Edited by HantuBlauLOL

You can always tell the difference between Northern and Southern Asian railways.  Southern railways have people on the roofs of trains and just as much litter on the ground as people on platforms.  Northern railways have neither.

• Like 1

Nice work, I like the scratch built mechs and bodies. Are you using the Jörgen Edgar method of clear bodies that you scribe and fold and then paint?

HantuBlauLOL

You can always tell the difference between Northern and Southern Asian railways. Southern railways have people on the roofs of trains and just as much litter on the ground as people on platforms. Northern railways have neither.

Yeah.. It's true.

Nice work, I like the scratch built mechs and bodies. Are you using the Jörgen Edgar method of clear bodies that you scribe and fold and then paint?

Yup, you're right! It's the simplest and cheapest way to get your own good looking locomotives.. Edited by HantuBlauLOL

The pic isn't showing or?

I used a phone camera though, I used to have a better camera but.. It's out of service. I'll take another pic tomorrow.

For whatever reason, the photos that are posted in the message full size are all sharp and clear.

The one of the mechanism is way out of focus.  It's also very "grainy", suggesting that it might not have had very much light on it.

Hantu,

Wonderful you are doing Indonesian rr! Not something you see every day. Fun to see what you can do with the printed shells.

Jeff

I took it at night without sufficient lighting..

Here it is, as requested.

11054512_908540542522108_161693053777263

Much better lighting, but still out of focus.  It's possible that camera phones don't have a light to tell you if something is in focus or not.

I was curious what the reason was for tilting the motor shaft?

Unless - the motor is wider diameter than the original, and would interfere with the axle.

I admire your neat paint work.

Oh wow! An Indonesian layout! That's something we don't see every time! Depok Baru means new depot, right? Somehow Indonesian is very similar to Malay...  

HantuBlauLOL

i think the camera on your phone is broken.

My phone with variable focus was broken, this one has a fixed focus.. I just found my 10 years old Sony T9 though, gonna take some pics from it.

wow this is cool.. can't wait to see the finished layout.. :) great job pak..

Thank you pak :)

Cool to see Indonesian models here! This really motivates me as well to take modelling to the next level.

Thank you! What do you mean about "modelling to the next level"? Glad you got motivated :D

Hantu,

Wonderful you are doing Indonesian rr! Not something you see every day. Fun to see what you can do with the printed shells.

Jeff

Thank you! I used to see this station in my childhood, it's a wonderful experience..

Printed shells saved me a lot of time than making a new one with plastic sheets, because they need to be shaped, engraved, painted, then adding some decals.. Also pan (flat, perhaps?) photos of traincar's body makes a very realistic texture! Just need to edit the light, and you're done! The one I used on the original post was a painted blueprint though, didn't know this technique yet..

Much better lighting, but still out of focus.  It's possible that camera phones don't have a light to tell you if something is in focus or not.

I was curious what the reason was for tilting the motor shaft?

Unless - the motor is wider diameter than the original, and would interfere with the axle.

I admire your neat paint work.

Well my autofocus equipped phone was broken.. This one has a fixed focus as I said on the top of this post.. I'll take another pic from another camera later.

The reason is the rear bogie, it was an ex motorized Tomix EF81 bogie, but some of the gears was missing. So i stripped it and just left the wheel, the contact strip, and the bogie itself. Te motor is already as wide as the shell.

Thanks! It's a brushed painting after all.. I don't have an air compressor yet.

Oh wow! An Indonesian layout! That's something we don't see every time! Depok Baru means new depot, right? Somehow Indonesian is very similar to Malay...

Yeah, real place based Indonesian layouts were so few for now.. And usually done in HO or TTn3.

Depok is a small town just at the south of Jakarta province. Anyway Depot is Depo or Dipo in our language, and baru is new.. The Depok station does existed, just less than 5km south of Depok Baru station.

Sure Depok has a train depot named Depo Depok LOL :D

Considering they are next door neighbours, it is not a surprize.

Because our language comes from Melayu, Arab, Dutch, and other languages..

HantuBlauLOL

some weeks ago i got interrested by arm/mechanical signals, but i think using a point motor is kinda complicated for me, so i designed this

16728699279_2d6737f154_o.png

the rod must be strong enough.

you can also attach the rod to your point's manual switch lever with a little modified mechanism.

This is an early british arrangement, where the signal arm drops down, instead of rising up. The color filters don't really follow that though.

hantu,

ive seen some folks use basically a small gauge bicycle brake cable with a push pull knob on the side of the layout. at its end under the layout at the point the wire turns a cam like you have and throws the point and signal both like this. always liked the nice manual feel of it!

jeff

Thank you! What do you mean about "modelling to the next level"? Glad you got motivated :D

I've been thinking of doing 3D models and taken a step towards doing so yesterday (I'll open up a new thread about this soon).

Anyway, for signalling, you might take a look at the old Dutch railway system, as it looks like it's still in use from the colonial days. I wish I'd talked with my grandma more about this, as she grew up next to a kereta uap depo.

Here is a short film and some old pictures from the days-back: http://www.holechistorie.nl/index.php/films/134-heemafloc of the first Electric locomotive produced in the Netherlands for the Dutch East Indies. It struck me as a Westinghouse and lo-and-behold. It was indeed produced under Baldwin and Westinghouse licences.

By the way, I have friend who runs Nanyo Bussan: http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/~toa-sato/ that speicalises in the more obscure part of model trains: East Asia. He also has custom made sticker sets for a few Jabotabek trains. I'm meeting him for a few drinks in two weeks, so I can ask him some questions if you like (of course, you can always approach him personally over email).

HantuBlauLOL

hantu,

ive seen some folks use basically a small gauge bicycle brake cable with a push pull knob on the side of the layout. at its end under the layout at the point the wire turns a cam like you have and throws the point and signal both like this. always liked the nice manual feel of it!

jeff

I personally used solid copper wire for the connector, easy to shape, and still strong enough. it feels great to manage both signals and trains just like in real life!

I've been thinking of doing 3D models and taken a step towards doing so yesterday (I'll open up a new thread about this soon).

Anyway, for signalling, you might take a look at the old Dutch railway system, as it looks like it's still in use from the colonial days. I wish I'd talked with my grandma more about this, as she grew up next to a kereta uap depo.

Here is a short film and some old pictures from the days-back: http://www.holechistorie.nl/index.php/films/134-heemafloc of the first Electric locomotive produced in the Netherlands for the Dutch East Indies. It struck me as a Westinghouse and lo-and-behold. It was indeed produced under Baldwin and Westinghouse licences.

By the way, I have friend who runs Nanyo Bussan: http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/~toa-sato/ that speicalises in the more obscure part of model trains: East Asia. He also has custom made sticker sets for a few Jabotabek trains. I'm meeting him for a few drinks in two weeks, so I can ask him some questions if you like (of course, you can always approach him personally over email).

Arm signals are still widely used here. Even Sumatra region still doesn't have electric signaling so far..

Which depot, in east Indies our Dutch?

Thanks for the link! That site contains many sources that i need. I was also interested in modeling east Indies, but my childhood memory denies.. The 3201 locomotive still in use now, it uses machinery from a broken 115 class rheostatic EMU (the orange one in the depok baru station pic on the first post). For tourist train usage only however..

I also friend with Sato san in FB. He did some awesome trains from a cardboard! He's also planning to do a decalling job for the future tomytec Toei 6000 series. His English is decent.. Btw is nanyo bussan his company?

I'm waiting for your thread! :D

Which depot, in east Indies our Dutch?

IIRC somewhere in Bandung, but I'm not sure. There are probably no pictures from that time.

I also friend with Sato san in FB. He did some awesome trains from a cardboard! He's also planning to do a decalling job for the future tomytec Toei 6000 series. His English is decent.. Btw is nanyo bussan his company?

Nanyo Bussan is indeed Mr. Sato's company. The first time I met him was at an exhibition I was attending. He very proudly showed me his modified 205 Series in the red and yellow Jabotabek livery.

Somewhat OT, but I recently discovered the wonderful tiny mallets that used to work Indonesian sugar cane plantations.  I gather some ran until fairly recently, but believe they're all retired now - unless they keep one in reserve for tour groups.  Here's one photo, and I've seen others that show the "tender" and also a water wagon trailing the diminutive engine.  I found these when I was bidding on a MiniTrix mallet with amazing valve gear, but the price exceeded my interest by the end of the auction.  These are about 20 years old, so they must be good runners.

post-941-0-16068300-1427274921_thumb.jpg   post-941-0-36038900-1427274979_thumb.jpg