Keihan Ōtsu Lines model trains

Densha

I've seen these pop up several times with a starting bid around this price, but every time they end going for much more. I subscribed to this one though, who knows if it stays at a low price this time.

Das Steinkopf

I had a look as well, unfortunately it says blocked for international buyers and I can't be bothered unblocking it and giving it a try, looking at where the auction is sitting at now I dare say it will close off around the ¥6000 mark which is fairly typical of the closing price that I have seen over the past 4 months. I am keen to get one but the only other option is from the seller Ray-Ban for ¥9000 which is beyond a joke price wise and is nothing short of extortion, I am going to bide my time and hope that I can find one in a Mandarake or Hobby Off when I am over there in April or even better for Tomytec to do a re release, given they have bought out a specialized chassis for the new one there could be a chance.

Das Steinkopf

Good to see that the ballpark figure has been relatively maintained and not gone higher, the listings are getting fewer and farther between but are selling for a price that people are only willing to pay for them.

post-3083-0-73352300-1481844497_thumb.png

Das Steinkopf

I finally got around to detailing and motorizing my Tomytec unit's the other day, I can't wait until my next batch arrives in the new year.

31409812970_b9c1289a27_z_d.jpg

30941095444_a15dc0f11f_z_d.jpg

30941119154_8e32365158_z_d.jpg

31635185702_de36ccce47_z_d.jpg

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf

Nice weathering! I presume you weathered the roof separately from the carbody?

It was certainly the best way to tackle it, considering I had to peel the roof off to fit the PG16 Panto's I took advantage of the situation and did the weathering at the same time, likewise when doing the chassis I took the carbody off to make it easier to paint, the weathering was several coats of watered down Tamiya Flat Black and Tamiya Earth Brown done in alternating layers with the last one being a coat of Earth Brown.

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 4
Das Steinkopf

I finally got my hands on the Holy Grail today through JAUCE, it was a brutal bidding war which went for an extra 45 minutes due to extended bidding but I finally came out on top, I'm glad that there must be some unwritten law regarding the closing bid as once I hit the benchmark price everyone else held back.

post-3083-0-60233400-1484049578_thumb.jpeg

post-3083-0-48655700-1484049595_thumb.jpeg

post-3083-0-83252500-1484049619_thumb.png

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 1
Gordon Werner

I finally got my hands on the Holy Grail today through JAUCE, it was a brutal bidding war which went for an extra 45 minutes due to extended bidding but I finally came out on top, I'm glad that there must be some unwritten law regarding the closing bid as once I hit the benchmark price everyone else held back.

congratulations!

Imho the motor-trailer motorization kit made for the later variant, that was brought out recently works just right for this one. This means there is no need to hack anything and the kit comes with the trailer attached. (btw. congratulation!)

Gordon Werner

Congrats.  Can it take a motor?  I'm sure I heard rumours it cannot.

Imho the motor-trailer motorization kit made for the later variant, that was brought out recently works just right for this one. This means there is no need to hack anything and the kit comes with the trailer attached. (btw. congratulation!)

here is the unit you need to motorize this set (as well as the new one which is identical save the air conditioning packs on the roof)

TM-TR05 N-Gauge Power Unit For Large Tram B - http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10415915

the model also could benefit from adding Tomix PG16 pantographs (1 set) http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10049884

Edited by Gordon Werner

Thanks for the info.  I have that motor unit on pre-order already for the non aircon version for upcoming release.  I just wasn't sure if the motor unit fitted the old aircon version.  Hence the question.

Edited by katoftw

considering I had to peel the roof off to fit the PG16 Panto's I took advantage of the situation and did the weathering at the same time,

Can you explain why this was done please?  I've always just pushed the PG16s into the holes in the roof.

Edited by katoftw
Das Steinkopf

Can you explain why this was done please?  I've always just pushed the PG16s into the holes in the roof.

I used contact adhesive on the underside of the roof to hold them down.

Gordon Werner

for those curious ... the forthcoming Keihan 80 Series (Sans AC packs) that is about to be released will be modeling cars 83/84.  The prior Keihan exclusive release is un-numbered but comes with decals (for any of the fleet)

15-1001.jpg

Decal sheet from prior release:

IMG_3886_resize1-d7ff0.png

Edited by Gordon Werner

Could make up a huge fleet with that decal sheet.  The aircon version probably wouldn't come with a decal sheet if/when they release it as a regular model.

Edited by katoftw
Das Steinkopf

I was planning on numbering my AC fitted version 81-82 to pay homage to the sole survivor of the class. That said I would really like to find out when each individual unit was fitted with AC's, whether it was done in numerical sequence or more randomly as trains came in for maintenance, I know they started conversion around 1989. Also of note is how they have kept the interiors in the new model, this gives a pretty good indication that the new chassis will fit the original Keihan exclusive model.

Das Steinkopf

Could make up a huge fleet with that decal sheet. The aircon version probably wouldn't come with a decal sheet if/when they release it as a regular model.

I hope they do release the AC fitted version again, it wouldn't be too hard as all they have to do is change the roof and they already have the tooling for that.

Gordon Werner

I hope they do release the AC fitted version again, it wouldn't be too hard as all they have to do is change the roof and they already have the tooling for that.

I'm still not sure why there wasn't a "retail" version of the first release like the last Tetsudo Musume set (exclusive version had a nicer box)