Hitachi and Abellio sign contract for 70 trains

Rail Announcement

Rail Announcement

It has been announced today (March 12) that Hitachi and Abellio have signed a contract for the construction and maintenance of 70 new AT200 trains for the new ScotRail franchise.

Consisting of 46 3-car and  24 4-car EMU sets, the new trains will run on the Glasgow to Edinburgh and Stirling-Alloa-Dunblane routes, with the first sets entering passenger service in late 2017.

The purchase of the fleet is being financed by Caledonian Rail Leasing Ltd.

Edited by Rail Announcement
  • Like 2
Davo Dentetsu

Very interesting.  Wonder whether there will be plans soon to replace the very long in the tooth (but still my favourite) 156s and 158s.  The 170s must be getting on a bit in age too.

bikkuri bahn

In related news (especially re. the Newton Aycliffe plant):

(Bloomberg) -- Hitachi Ltd. is targeting its first train orders in continental Europe after commencing deliveries from a 5.7 billion-pound ($8.8 billion) contract that will see its AT300 model dominate Britain’s long-distance routes for decades.

Order prospects include stock for Germany’s S-Bahn or suburban network and express trains for a Scandinavian operator, Hitachi Rail Europe Chief Operating Officer Andy Barr said in an interview at Southampton docks in England after the first AT300 was unloaded following the sea journey from Japan.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-12/hitachi-targets-continental-train-orders-as-u-k-influx-begins

I think with the collision standards in effect, rolling stock builders don't have much to leeway to work with on these gangwayed designs.  They all pretty much look the same, even going back to BR days.

They could always use the classic japanese fronts of the 113/115 series or the kiha40 series. It's a simple but nice shape. I guess they are not streamlined enough.