My Japanese style layout

VJM

On 3/13/2015 at 12:13 PM, stevenh said:

Can you please take closer photos of the two derelict carriages?

One seems to be abandoned in the cut off track... the other you've added lights to? Restaurant?

large_l13.jpg.8bc8756c396f663543ef8d7c4c6456e9.jpg

Abandoned carriage

large_l14.jpg.6eb124b09d05a66e91a1c1745dc4e79f.jpg

There are 2 derelicts here... The blue 25 series about to be scrapped, and the other with its bogies removed arriving by truck ready to be cut up.

Edited by VJM
  • Like 7

Awesome layout. Similar in size to mine, and also the track plan shape. I would never consider the solution you got, it is simple and at the same time rather complex but never came to my mind. 

The mountain is great, i think i have to add a few more greenery to my own mountain. 

All in all a lot of great ideas :)

Thank you for sharing.

Question: 

The lamp posts. Are they the ones you can find on ebay for a few $ each pack of 50? If so, are they any good? 

Edited by NJHA

Question: 

The lamp posts. Are they the ones you can find on ebay for a few $ each pack of 50? If so, are they any good? 

No, each lamp post is hand made using piano wire, epoxy, LEDs and wiring.

My God! You have head/ tail lights in your cars and a functional traffic signal?

You gotta teach me that!!  :)

Very impressive! Must be a lot of wires to make it all light up! Can you post a close up of your street lights? How do you get the wires to the LEDs?

Vjm,

Wow! Great details! Love the head/tail lights, you need to give a clinic on making them. I've often thought of playing with that and never have gotten to it. Is it fiber optics to the lights from a led or individual leds? You really have the brightness controlled well to something that looks right at scale (usually leds are an order or two magnitudes brighter than they should be!). Mis such a fan of using pots rather than fixed resistors to set the lighting in place.

Also your traffic signals are spot on. You have mastered SMD led wiring!nwhat sizes are you using in the cars? Where do you run the wires on the traffic lights? Are you using magnet wire and jsut painting over it as they look to be kato or greenmax posts?

Again kudos to you! Looking forward to more pictures!!!

Cheers

Jeff

The roads are made from MDF airbrushed with Tamiya Dark Iron (XF84).  We went through heaps of the stuff.

As for the lights, sadly, lot of very fine drilling.

Everyone seems to like the night shots.  Maybe this one will give the feeling of flying in a plane over the landscape.

large_l19.jpg.c2f585f83a21338e2780b295ae4b2ce2.jpgl19.jpg

Edited by VJM
  • Like 8

Everyone seems to like the night shots.  Maybe this one will give the feeling of flying in a plane over the landscape.

More like a Helicopter, but I LOVE it!

It's really nice, and looks really real! I love how every car gets lights and tail lights, especially the bus with it's interior lights! Amazing connection work! You need to open a clinic for this and i'll be the first to register!

No.  It sits in a very deep cutting.  The level of the station is lower than the resort to reduce the slope somewhat (but still way steeper than any real line).  The line is a dead end to the right of the photo.

I think i see the cut on one of the first photos posted here about the completed layout and managed to find the red bridge after you told me where to look. My only question is if it's not a rack line, then what kind of train could climb up to the resort station? (a Tomix Hakone Tozan set might be able to do it, but i don't know what else)