It's booked!

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Well I bought my ticket for a ride on the Hokuriku Shinkansen, Tokyo to Kanazawa on March 25. I splurged a bit and got a green class seat on Kagayaki #509, departing Tokyo at 10:32. I'm taking a big loop trip via Kansai, where I'll get my usual mintetsu fix of railway operation in the grand manner.

post-133-0-06718400-1425826970_thumb.jpg

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 6
bikkuri bahn

Yes, I figure somewhere between Omiya and Takasaki the wagon service lady will come through, I can purchase my customary cup of JR East coffee, and enjoy the view at 240km/h while sipping the java. Good times.

Nice!

You bought the Ticket from Sapporo Office?

Wow 18,750 yen... Really gotta love the JR Pass ~  

Await your lovely videos and photos!  :)

bikkuri bahn

Wow 18,750 yen... Really gotta love the JR Pass ~  

Yes, but if you look at equivalent fares in other countries, especially walkup fares, it's not particularly expensive.  Take an Amtrak Acela service from Washington DC to New Haven (roughly the same distance as Tokyo-Kanazawa) on the same day 3/25, for example.  An advance purchase ticket in business class which for illustrative purposes we'll say is equivalent to Green Class- it prices at 254USD, or about 30000 yen. 30000 yen will actually get you a Gran Class seat and some change (3000 yen), at comfort levels and speeds unattainable in the US.  But certainly, a JR pass is a bargain.

Indeed... I've yet to try any other long distance or high speed trains yet in other countries so I really didn't know... It's great that Japan has the JR Pass which really boosts tourism for its sheer value for money and conveniences.

Wonderful to hear to go on it on green class and window seat.

Look forward to your pics, I'm looking to go to Japan again later this year.

would love to hear from you about it as I'm planning to go it!

TestudoToTetsudo

Nice to hear, please let us know how the trip is as I plan to ride the Hokuriku Shinkansen in May!

I know you're going in Green Class, but do you know if GranClass is completely selling out well ahead of departure like it did when GranClass debuted on the Tohoku Shinkansen?  I'm thinking of going GranClass in May, but don't think I'll be able to book until I arrive in Japan 12 days prior.