Tokyo and Kanto region vacation!!!!

Hy guys. Haven't posted for a while, due to me saving money for my Tokyo trip.Now I'm finished with saving and Its time to visit Japan again. It will be my second time and I will be there from May 12th-27th..I decided to stay in Tokyo again to see all the other things I missed the last year. I'm also planing trips throughout the Kanto region with the Kanto Area pass. $170 is cheap for 6 days.

A view questions.

1. I am planning to take the NEX to and from Tokyo. The last two days I am staying in Narita to go to the temple there. Does the NEX stops there on its way back also, or only at the Airport?

2. Has anyone been to Edo Wonderland, and is it worth going?

3.What are the most scenic/fun trains I can take in the Kanto area?

4. Is there a Onsen that is not overrun with tourists ?

5. Would it be possible to go hiking and just spin a night on a mountain,or is it forbidden?

6. Any places in Tokyo I should see that is not an official tourist spot but worth seeing/experiencing? (I walked a lot last year and found hidden temples and beautiful old houses).

Any suggestions are highly appreciated, and if y'all have any other must see suggestions in and outside Tokyo, feel free to add them.

SASCHA!!!

1.  Looks like the NEX stops at Narita only in the evenings on weekdays: http://ekikara.jp/newdata/ekijikoku/1301271/down1_12211011.htm .  It's all those from 18:50 to 21:02.

3. I'll recommend Tobu from Asakusa to Nikko on a rapid service.  It's like 1300yen each way, and is only a few minutes slower than a limited express.  I did it early one winter morning, it was a nice ride.  I think Toni will have other ideas, like Keikyu :)

6. I'm afraid I don't have any specific recommendations as I'm still researching this myself, but I always liked far western Tokyo-to, like Oku-Tama, Itsukaichi, and Takao, maybe someone can suggest something nature-related out there, possibly in connection with #5, there are plenty of mountains.

• Like 1

1. If you want to travel to the airport from Narita, take Keisei. IIRC a bit cheaper than JR East (if you intend to pay separately). The total travel only takes about 5 minutes by local train (no stations in between anyway).

2. Can't answer.

3. Depending on what you want, all trains can be scenic. Hakone Tozan, Enoden, Keio (at the end of the network) and any JR East line in the direction of the mountain ranges (e.g. Oūme line, Chūō line, etc.) and seaside (Izukyū, Sotobo line, Uchibo line).

4. Depending on the time you're going, even the tourist traps can be quiet. I'd suggest to stay away from Hakone for the biggest tourist magnet and head to the Alps for quieter venues. You can always ask at a travel agency from either JR East or another private company. They probably can reserve seats on Ltd. Express trains for you as well.

5. Wild camping isn't forbidden in Japan IIRC, as long as it's not on private property, public parks and/or blocking traffic. Here is a website with camping sites for you by the way: http://www.boxos.com/campweb/index.html 

6. I'd recommend Ōta-ku (between Shibuya/Oimachi and Kawasaki city) as an interesting place. It's a traditional living area with many old buildings and a strong community spirit. Easy to get around with Tōkyū (you can buy a day pass for ¥660, which is 2x the maximum fare) on the Ikegami and Tamagawa lines. Almost every station has a cute shopping street with small shops and even more interesting surroundings.

Similarly, you can visit the Shitamachi area (Katsushika-ku, Sumida-ku, Arakawa-ku, etc.) around the Keisei Main line, Keisei Kanamachi line and the Keisei Oshiage line (a day ticket for ¥500). This has a more blue-collar feeling to it and has a very high concentration of small businesses, restaurants and snack stands.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 1
bikkuri bahn

. I'll recommend Tobu from Asakusa to Nikko on a rapid service.  It's like 1300yen each way, and is only a few minutes slower than a limited express.  I did it early one winter morning, it was a nice ride. 

It's about 30 minutes longer, but it feels somewhat longer than that, especially when you get out to the boondocks of Tochigi.   OK, for railfans, but if you have non-railfans with you, the limited express service may be less tiring. If you really want to use the rapid, ride on the outbound part of the journey, and take the limited express back, preferably the one going to Shinjuku, which has better ongoing connections.

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Traditional Japanese neighborhoods

Day trips: Kawagoe City (combine with a train ride either JR, Seibu or Tobu)

Sawara in Chiba Prefecture- canals and traditional buildings

* I can't vouch for the two above, but they look interesting and maybe get the Edo atmosphere

In Tokyo: Yanesen district

http://www.gotokyo.org/en/tourists/guideservice/modelcourse/004.html

Have been here, a friend lives nearby

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

I hadn't heard Yanaka, Nezu, and Sendagi combined into Yanesen before.  Well, if you're not going to do the Tobu run (it's only 24 minutes difference between the rapid and limited express :)), yeah Yanaka (and I'm sure the other two neighborhoods) is a nice place.  Plus it looks like they have good tourist information.

• Like 1

How about Himeji Castle? I think the Kansai pass goes as far as Himeji... I haven't been there but I heard the castle is quite nice to see...

http://www.japan-rail-pass.com/pass-regional/kansai/jr-kansai-area-pass

*EDIT

MY BAD! Apologizes... :confused2:

I mixed up Kanto and Kansai...  Gonna be ashamed of myself...

Sorry!

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/kantoareapass/

Edited by JR500 のぞみ
  • Like 1

Enoshima + Shonan Monorail + Enoden + Kamakura

Takasaki + Railyards

Yokogawa + Usui Touge + Poppo town

Omiya + JR Museum

Fuji Five Lakes + Fujiku Railway

Hakone + Tozan

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

Great. Thanks a bunch guys. I knew I can count on y'all.

I was planing to go to Narita on my way back.Guess I'm taking the NEX to the airport, and than catch a train to Narita.

Nikko is in my planing. I take the Tobu to get there like miyakoji suggested, and take the Shinkansen back.

Oku-Tama and Takao looks promising, so I will go there.

Himeji is a little bit out of my way.Hahaha. Thanks anyways.

I probably haven't been clear with the trains.

I guess most of you have seen the Train cruise Documentary. I'm looking for special/unique trains like in the series, were you can get special bento boxes, or other things you can only get on this specific train.

Ōta-ku is on my list also. 

Mt Fuji is a great Idea and the Shonan Monrail.

Thanks for all your suggestions.Now I have to do some research.

Get out of Kanto then...

I probably haven't been clear with the trains. I guess most of you have seen the Train cruise Documentary. I'm looking for special/unique trains like in the series, were you can get special bento boxes, or other things you can only get on this specific train.

You might wanna investigate a JR East or JR Japan pass and spread you wings a little.  If you wanna stay close to Tokyo, then going north into Tohoku and Etsu might be for you.  Train Cruise episode 10 has some nice trains for that region.

Try this:- http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/routemaps/index.html It give you the route, the train used, features and place of interest while using the train.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

There is not one train like that in Kanto? Bummer.

There are stations that sell special and/or local obento very regularly (mostly on bigger intersections), but in-train trolley sales are irregular and rare.

If you would like to ride a special train anyway (no guarantee of in-train sales though), here are the ones for this spring: http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2014/20150115.pdf Check for the ones with 'Rapid' 快速/ kaisoku in their service type as you only have to pay a seat reservation and no extra express fee. Yes, even steam trains and joyful trains. You can book seats at any Midori-madoguchi from JR East.

• Like 1

If you are travelling on the weekend.  Maybe up to Toride or Shimodate and ride on the Kanto Railway and the Steam train on Mooka Railway.  These are not covered by the pass.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

If you are travelling on the weekend.  Maybe up to Toride or Shimodate and ride on the Kanto Railway and the Steam train on Mooka Railway.  These are not covered by the pass.

The Kantō Railway offers a combined day pass with the Mooka Railway from Toride to Shimodate to Machiko (very nice pottery, old town and an interesting old dying factory) 常総線・真岡鐵道線共通一日自由きっぷ (Jōsō-sen, Mo'oka Tetsudō Kyōtsū Ichinichi Jiyū Kippu) for ¥2300. Until the 31st of May it is also valid on weekdays. A ride in the steam train costs an ¥500 up price on the regular fee of the Mooka Railway. Be careful not to go beyond Machiko, as that is not covered by this pass.

Next to that pass, there are a number of other cheap passes available in this relatively unpopular region, like the a combined Tsukuba Express and Kantō Railway pass available. This information is only available in Japanese: http://www.mir.co.jp/service/otoku/tx_jyoso.html

• Like 1

Thats a lot of info, and great suggestions.Thanks a bunch guys. Y'all made my day.I get the JR East pass and check everything. Thanks a lot for the links, but please be advised that I can't read Kanji, so the Japanese links are useless to me, but I will ask at a JR Travel Service Center about these trains, so that should get me where I want to go, and I don't mind paying extra to get on a train. Thanks again!!!!