New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

You blokes are awesome! Thank you.

I could be a girl you know... *he says in his girly-most voice* ... but I'm not, thankfully for the men out there. :D

• Like 1

New episode is coming, this will be about Keikyu Railways, and Miki Murai is back  :)

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/201607260600/

August 5, 2016

Keikyu: The Strive for World-Class Rail Operation

Keikyu operates in the suburbs of Tokyo, and is known for its frequent high-speed operations, direct through service with other lines and minimal train delays. Keikyu also uses the most human-centered system of all major Japanese railway companies, ensuring vital knowledge and experience is put to good use for a reliable operation. Also, see Miki Murai reporting about Noto Railway's tourist train which operates in the Noto region, where it was appointed as a Globally Important Agricultural Heritage System.
tv_episode_201607260600_01_large.jpg

tv_episode_201607260600_01_min.jpgtv_episode_201607260600_02_min.jpgtv_episode_201607260600_03_min.jpgtv_episode_201607260600_04_min.jpgtv_episode_201607260600_05_min.jpg
tv_episode_201607260600_06_min.jpg

Broadcast starts in August 4, in the same hours of always.

Edited by fpav_2125
  • Like 1

I'll post my link to the latest Episode until dabsan posts his link... it's 4:50am here now so it should keep the early risers happy until the rush kicks in. :D

Ep 21: Link removed now that dabsan has posted his usual link on the next page.

P.s. I haven't watched it yet, so as per usual, if anyone spots any issues, let me know and I will check my second recording.

P.p.s There was a small segment on Biz Buzz Japan about Train Experiences in Kanazawa....including a Hanayome Noren painted in a traditional lacquerware design (screengrab here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7LFvItVrwd0dE5mSWxQbjlyU28/view?usp=sharing) It wasn't the most exciting thing I've watched but I have it recorded if anyone wants to see it...

Edited by LeeC22
  • Like 3
bobbodaclown

Dōmo arigatōgozaimashita Lee san.

I (a) haven't travelled down to the peninsula and (b ) usually travel JR on the gaijin pass so this rolling stock was all new to me.

Edited by bobbodaclown
  • Like 1

Thank You Lee!

ps: As i see, Keikyu is still using the old JNR manual electric signalling system with automatic block occupancy based protection and does so with high speeds, frequent service and sharp curves.

Edited by kvp
  • Like 1

Thanks to Lee and dabsan for another new episode  :notworthy:  All is perfect, no problem

Edited by fpav_2125

Very nice episode. I'm very impressed Keikyu could run local and four different type of limited-stop trains on essentially the same line with essentially no computer control. They're so good that a form of computerized Positive Train Control (PTC) won't be going to Keikyu anytime soon.  :)

It was interesting that they run trains manually, so if a disruption happens they are prepared to reschedule manually. The computerised way is to shut the whole line until the problem is solved and a restart point is reached in the timetable.

Having all hostlers be senior drivers and choosing the dispatch operators from them means the higher the responsibility, the more experience one has. Imho 4x2+1 dispatchers is a bit on the low side with safety interlocking only and what appears is a paper schedule.