New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

bobbodaclown

New Episode!

Yuri Kogen Railway: Getting People Back on Track

June 9, 2023

Yuri Kogen Railway, a third-sector railway in Akita Prefecture, averaged just 508 passengers per day in 2022 (a result of the declining population along the line). To increase passenger numbers and therefore boost revenue, the railway's president decided to drastically reduce the price of student passes by half. Take a look at the various initiatives currently being employed by Yuri Kogen Railway. And in "Tourist Trains in Style" see JR East's "KAIRI," which runs between Niigata and Yamagata prefectures.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/20230608/2049128/

bobbodaclown

New Episode!

Collaborating to Revive Japan's Stations

June 23, 2023

Passenger numbers for local railway lines across Japan continue to fall as the population declines and more people opt to drive. Stations, meant to be hubs of vitality, are also seeing numbers fall. In response, private companies, NPOs and local governments, in collaboration with the railways, have begun utilizing some of these station buildings. In Chiba Prefecture, JR East's Emi Station became Japan's first combined station and post office. In Fukuoka Prefecture, Heisei Chikuho Railway's Yusubaru Station saw the installation of a university laboratory, and Nagai City in Yamagata Prefecture became home to the nation's first integrated station and government office building. Take a look at the efforts being made to revitalize the stations. And in "Tourist Trains in Style" see FUJI-SANROKU RAILWAY's "FUJISAN VIEW EXPRESS," which runs on the railway closest to Mt. Fuji.

bobbodaclown

New Epsiode!

Hisatsu Orange Railway: Fully Supported by Kagoshima Prefecture

July 7, 2023

Kagoshima Prefecture has been working to subsidize third-sector Hisatsu Orange Railway with support from all 43 of its municipalities, including those not serviced by the railway. The subsidies cover the cost of maintaining facilities such as tracks and overhead wires associated with the railway's operation. See how Kagoshima is working to preserve its regional transportation system; and the railway's efforts to attract tourists with its restaurant train.

bobbodaclown

New Episode!

Must-see Railway News: The First Half of 2023

July 28, 2023

See railway-related news from across Japan, covered by NHK from January to June 2023. See recent "Railway Events," the introduction of "New Rolling Stock," and "New Initiatives" being employed by the railway industry. In "New Rolling Stock," see JR West's Urara and Tobu Railway's limited express Spacia X. In "New Initiatives," see the logistics experiment being conducted with the Kyushu Shinkansen and test runs of an automatic operation on the Tokaido Shinkansen. Join us as we look back at a selection of railway news from the first half of 2023.

• Like 1
bobbodaclown

New Episode!

Fukushima's Iizaka Line: Keeping Business on Track

September 8, 2023

Located in the Tohoku region of Japan, the Iizaka Line is a small privately-owned railway line in Fukushima Prefecture that connects Fukushima City to Iizaka Onsen. Operated by the railway division of a bus company, the 9.2km 12-station line boasted an annual ridership of 2.4 million before the pandemic. Despite its small size, the line has remained profitable, setting the example for rural railways across Japan. See how the company continues to maintain and improve its services, making the line convenient for all passengers, young and old, to keep the business on track.

Just watched 6 episodes / 3 hrs of JRJ.  Pretty sure I still have a few unwatched episodes from around new years to watch.  So far behind.

edit//  Actually, 7 ep / 4 hrs, as I watched a episode of Train Cruise also. 

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

New Episode!

Minamiaso Railway: Overcoming Disaster

September 15, 2023

Severely damaged by the Kumamoto Earthquake in April 2016, Minamiaso Railway finally resumed full operation after seven years and three months, in July 2023. Of the 17.7km line, 10.6km was destroyed, including bridges. At the time, restoration seemed hopeless due to the enormous repair costs. However, the railway company worked with the local community to bring the railway back online. Along with the restoration, the station buildings were renewed, a new car was introduced, and areas around the stations are currently being redeveloped. Minamiaso Railway also began a direct operation with the JR line for better access to JR Kumamoto Station, plus their popular trolley train made a full recovery. Join us as we take a look at Minamiaso Railway's road to recovery.

• Like 3

New Episode!

Countdown to the Hokuriku Shinkansen Extension

September 29, 2023

With the extension of the Hokuriku Shinkansen from Kanazawa to Tsuruga, the line will gain six new stations. The local governments along the line are eagerly awaiting the extension as improved access to the Tokyo Metropolitan area is expected to increase the number of visiting tourists and business travelers, boosting the local economy. In addition to new station buildings, efforts are underway to develop the surrounding areas, and systems are being made ready to handle the coming changes. See how regional developments are progressing along the line.

• Like 5

New Episode!

Putting JR Hokkaido's Abandoned Lines to Use

October 27, 2023

In recent years, JR Hokkaido has had to close a number of unprofitable lines as they became more and more difficult to maintain. Now, local residents and businesses are finding new ways to utilize the discontinued lines and facilities. While some sites were acquired and sold (with the tracks still in place) others have been proposed for use as camping sites, training grounds, storage facilities, art spaces and more. Discover the potential of JR Hokkaido's discontinued railway lines.

Edited by bobbodaclown
  • Like 1

New Episode!

Oigawa Railway: Keeping Steam Alive

December 1, 2023

Oigawa Railway in Shizuoka Prefecture was the first to revive steam locomotives in Japan. See how the company has continued to operate despite typhoon damage and the pandemic.

• Like 2

New Episode!

JR Shikoku's Collaborative New Idea

December 22, 2023

JR Shikoku has suffered continued losses due to population decline and the expansion of a highway. See the initiatives the company is taking to aid recovery and revitalize the region.

• Like 1

I’m seeing it in the bottom right of each thumbnail. It adds it to your “list” so I don’t know if that lets you vote for more than one as it’s your favorite list. Maybe they exclude from voting favorite lists that have more than one of the trains. 

jeff

IMG_2698.jpeg

Kansen Tsushin
4 hours ago, cteno4 said:

I’m seeing it in the bottom right of each thumbnail. It adds it to your “list” so I don’t know if that lets you vote for more than one as it’s your favorite list. Maybe they exclude from voting favorite lists that have more than one of the trains. 

jeff

IMG_2698.jpeg

I think I now know why the plus icon wasn't showing. When you mentioned "your list", I checked My List and saw that Cookies were not enabled. As soon as I enabled them, the + icons appeared! Thanks!

• Like 1
bobbodaclown

New Episode!

Must-see Railway News: The Latter Half of 2023

January 26, 2024

Railway news from the latter half of 2023. Join us as we see various railway-related events post-pandemic, new initiatives by railway companies, the unveiling of new vehicles and more.

• Thanks 1
bobbodaclown

New Episode!

Shining a Light on Japan's Monorails

March 1, 2024

Monorails, which make use of the space above public land, are gaining attention as safe and economically efficient modes of transportation. Explore Japan's world-class monorails.

• Like 2
HankyuDentetsu
On 2/21/2024 at 9:20 PM, bobbodaclown said:

New Episode!

Shining a Light on Japan's Monorails

March 1, 2024

Monorails, which make use of the space above public land, are gaining attention as safe and economically efficient modes of transportation. Explore Japan's world-class monorails.

Absolute banger of an episode. I've really been struggling with the show recently but I enjoyed every minute of this one. If only they'd drop the government mouthpiece/tourist-centric focus and just focus on what makes Japanese public transport absolutely untouchable!! They used to, so we all know that they know how to do it.

-Edit - sorry edited to say that "banger" in this case is a good thing, in case it's interpreted otherwise!!

Edited by HankyuDentetsu