New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

What surprised me about the DMV episode was how much effort has gone in planning, setting it up, doing all types of cross marketing and promotion - for something that is not yet in service.  Hope it works out.

I do agree that more train content would be nice.  I see I missed the show on the JR Gono Line.  That looks like it would have been interesting.  Need to do a web search to see if I can find it somewhere.

Ciao,

Tony

Kansen Tsushin
11 hours ago, katoftw said:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/20211125/2049104/

Hopefully it is better than the boring DMV episode. And the Noto episode. Content lately has been lacking trains.

I actually liked that episode. It actually showed what transport could be in an environment that may not allow train tracks to certain parts of the town/city due to historic/environmental reasons. It could easily go the other way round where a train carriage could end up on the road!

Think that might have something to do with the COVID pandemic, since those episodes all featured archive footage and all interviews are remote. 

HankyuDentetsu

Just watched the DMV episode. Got to applaud their efforts - fearless and innovative! Looks like they're having fun with it too, love the merchandising and commericals.

But, that machine looks like it's full of compromises - I fear for how difficult it'll be to maintain and repair. And I expect the ride quality to be absolutely awful on the roads due to how front heavy it must be!

Also, surely the E4 retirement should have been given it's own show!!

• Like 1
Kansen Tsushin

There's a new episode! Last one for 2021:

Kominato Railway: Surviving with Wisdom and Ingenuity
Kominato Railway is a 39.1km rural railway that operates in Chiba, the prefecture next to Tokyo. Unfortunately, damage caused by a typhoon in 2019 and the subsequent pandemic caused sales revenue to drop significantly. Now, the railway is working on ways to get back on track, including the operation of the Satoyama Trolley Train (a sightseeing train that runs through scenic valleys), old diesel trains manufactured more than 40 years ago, and a collaboration with a local art festival to attract tourists. See the strategies the company has implemented using wisdom and ingenuity to attract visitors.

• Like 1
Kansen Tsushin
On 11/19/2021 at 5:46 AM, katoftw said:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/20211125/2049104/

Hopefully it is better than the boring DMV episode. And the Noto episode. Content lately has been lacking trains.

Isn't Japan Railway Journal a 'magazine' style show covering the Japanese train industry? I'd expect it would cover all things trains and the things around it, so I get why they would cover things like train museums, stations, train station cat mascots, etc, etc.
Whereas, Train Cruise is a show that covers a specific route and showing the touristic nature of riding the train at distance.

I get it. You're specifically are interested in the trains themselves, in the same way a petrohead would be interested in the repair and restoration of a classic car rather than the buying and selling of it ala Wheeler Dealers show on Discovery Channel.

13 hours ago, Kansen Tsushin said:

I get it. You're specifically are interested in the trains themselves,

Nope.

Both subjects have been covered before by Railway Journal previously in their smaller 'railway topics' segments.

So while turning a 3 minute segment into a 22 minute full episode. The small amount of extra info didn't create enough interest within me.

Static comtempotary art displays really aren't my thing either. So I guess the Noto episode was doomed to fail in my brain at the start line.

But every one is different. There will be something I find amazing that another will go just meh at. We are all different.

Kansen Tsushin

New episode:

Must-see Railway News: The Latter Half of 2021

See railway-related news from across Japan, covered by NHK from July to December 2021. Join us as we take a look back at post-pandemic measures implemented by railway companies, fun tourist trains, as well as new trains, and say goodbye to some beloved old trains.

Airing January 20 & 21st 2022

New Episode!

Ekiben: Making a Comeback

February 25, 2022

Ekiben (a word that combines the Japanese words for station and boxed meal) are sold at stations and on trains throughout Japan. Unfortunately, the coronavirus pandemic, which affected ridership on railways across Japan, including the shinkansen, severely affected the Ekiben industry as well. Concerned for their business, Ekiben manufacturers began looking for new ways to survive. See the ideas they've come up with, from frozen Ekiben and online sales, to expanding business overseas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New Episode!

Konan Railway: Combating the Snow

March 4, 2022

Konan Railway operates in one of Japan's snowiest regions, Aomori Prefecture. For the people who live there, heavy snow is unavoidable. For the railway, clearing the snow is crucial to maintaining scheduled operations. To combat the snow, the railway uses a snowplow (which also doubles as a blower) and Japan's oldest active snowplow (a favorite among railfans). See how the railway combats the long, harsh winter and the various ways they tackle the snow.

• Like 3
Kansen Tsushin
On 2/17/2022 at 9:55 PM, bobbodaclown said:

New Episode!

Ekiben: Making a Comeback

February 25, 2022

Ekiben (a word that combines the Japanese words for station and boxed meal) are sold at stations and on trains throughout Japan. Unfortunately, the coronavirus pandemic, which affected ridership on railways across Japan, including the shinkansen, severely affected the Ekiben industry as well. Concerned for their business, Ekiben manufacturers began looking for new ways to survive. See the ideas they've come up with, from frozen Ekiben and online sales, to expanding business overseas.

As much as it nothing really to do with trains, I do like the boxed meals that you buy in the stations. If only Japan opens up sooner...

In my mind Ekiben has a huge relationship to trains and a big part of my Japanese train experiences. It’s also a big tradition in japan railroads, not only selling in the station but on the platforms, thru the windows at stations and onboard some trains (a lot more in the old days). 

jeff

• Like 4
Kansen Tsushin
On 2/26/2022 at 6:47 PM, cteno4 said:

In my mind Ekiben has a huge relationship to trains and a big part of my Japanese train experiences. It’s also a big tradition in japan railroads, not only selling in the station but on the platforms, thru the windows at stations and onboard some trains (a lot more in the old days). 

jeff

It is one of the more unique things about Japan. The other are themed trained.

Kansen Tsushin

Already a new episode announced:

Rebuilding Tohoku's Railway Network

March 10, 2022

On March 11, 2011, the Great East Japan Earthquake struck, causing severe damage to railways along the Pacific coast. Sanriku Railway in Iwate Prefecture resumed partial service just 5 days after the quake. JR East's Kesennuma Line and part of the Ofunato Line were replaced by BRT (Bus Rapid Transit), and the Joban Line (which runs through Yamamoto in Miyagi Prefecture) relocated its stations and tracks as the town moved inland. See the efforts on how Tohoku's rail network has been fully restored.

• Like 2
On 2/25/2022 at 5:18 PM, bobbodaclown said:

New Episode!

Konan Railway: Combating the Snow

March 4, 2022

Konan Railway operates in one of Japan's snowiest regions, Aomori Prefecture. For the people who live there, heavy snow is unavoidable. For the railway, clearing the snow is crucial to maintaining scheduled operations. To combat the snow, the railway uses a snowplow (which also doubles as a blower) and Japan's oldest active snowplow (a favorite among railfans). See how the railway combats the long, harsh winter and the various ways they tackle the snow.

Nice to see a Baldwin-Westinghouse steeplecab electric loco pushing a Russell-design snowplow, and in 2022! I'll save this episode on my DVR.

Rich K.

• Like 3
Kansen Tsushin

Rebuilding Tohoku's Railway Network episode was a really good episode. It's crazy how they decided to rebuild a whole town on the basis of it's transportation infrastructure.

• Like 1
HankyuDentetsu

What's going on with the crazily inconsistent release schedule? Covid will have obviously made things harder, but it seems like there's no pattern at the moment to when they release a new episode?

Probably scheduling conflicts of the presenters, available airtime on NHK World... there could be many reasons. But the new episodes are already in the works; Cathy regularly updates when she/the team is filming.

Covid would be a huge reason.  The last few new episodes haven't been new content.  Using a lot of file footage and most interviews are done using facetime/skye etc.  Even Ryo facetimes/skyes in on the show.  Lack of ability to travel seriously contrains their ability to produce a good show.

bobbodaclown

Well, our prayers are answered!

New episode!

Trains Evolving by Design

April 29, 2022

In recent years, the Japanese railway industry has seen the introduction of many unique trains designed by famous designers. These new trains were made possible thanks to rolling stock manufacturers and parts suppliers coming together to meet the new design challenges. Also, not only new trains are created, but existing trains are transformed, such as JR Kyushu's Nishi Kyushu Shinkansen (scheduled to open in the fall of 2022), produced by an industrial designer. See how new design elements are causing Japanese trains to evolve.

• Thanks 1
Kansen Tsushin
13 hours ago, bobbodaclown said:

Well, our prayers are answered!

New episode!

Trains Evolving by Design

April 29, 2022

In recent years, the Japanese railway industry has seen the introduction of many unique trains designed by famous designers. These new trains were made possible thanks to rolling stock manufacturers and parts suppliers coming together to meet the new design challenges. Also, not only new trains are created, but existing trains are transformed, such as JR Kyushu's Nishi Kyushu Shinkansen (scheduled to open in the fall of 2022), produced by an industrial designer. See how new design elements are causing Japanese trains to evolve.

This sounds pretty epic!
I've noticed that Ryo has replaced Nathan Berry on the JRJ web page.