New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

6 hours ago, ijontichy said:

I have to sheepishly admit that Cathy the Cat is a decent presenter.

lol, yes me too, decent, but still needs to calm it down a bit more, her voice can get a tad too enthusiastic about things like seat backs! Seems to be channeling her energy out her hands a lot, sort of like watching a cheerleader at times.

wonder how much crap will end up between the seat backs and clamshells.

First time I’ve seen the n700s right up on the nose like that, really does look like the burton bat mobile.

jeff

• Like 1
Tony Galiani

I am just impressed that there are that many trains to select from.  Is there anywhere else with quite such a railway scene?

I might have gone for the Saphir Odoriko but that may be down to personal taste.  I did enjoy the discussion about the designing of the Hinotori.  And who would have guessed that Cathy Cat would turn out to be a good presenter?

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Like 3
HankyuDentetsu
On 7/20/2021 at 11:07 PM, Tony Galiani said:

I am just impressed that there are that many trains to select from.  Is there anywhere else with quite such a railway scene?

There is surely no other country that can offer up 16 new trains in one year for such an award. It's absolutely remarkable. I don't think there's been a single new train released in the UK over the last 12 months, which puts things in perspective.

Tony Galiani

Just out of curiosity, I checked out Cathy Cat's YouTube channel.  There her persona is quite different from her persona on Japan Railway Journal.  I guess she has decided to work in two different worlds - breathless, excited, exaggerated YouTube presenter and more serious Railway Journal presenter.  I guess that is one way to maximize career options.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Like 2
HankyuDentetsu

Latest episode covering the Odakyu Romance Car was pretty good. Lol'd at Ryo's monitor presence, too.

The diorama and interactive exhibits they've got at the museum do look great to be fair - I really want to check it out now.

On 7/26/2021 at 11:56 PM, Tony Galiani said:

Just out of curiosity, I checked out Cathy Cat's YouTube channel.  There her persona is quite different from her persona on Japan Railway Journal.  I guess she has decided to work in two different worlds - breathless, excited, exaggerated YouTube presenter and more serious Railway Journal presenter.  I guess that is one way to maximize career options.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

I find the “non-Japanese” presenters and actors who feature on Japanese television have to fit a sort of larger than life, caricature of people from other countries. The reality is, she probably wouldn’t have been noticed as a reporter for her in-depth reporting style, but more because she dresses a bit crazy and likes cosplay. The problem is that these people, although lucky to find this level of work, also reinforce the pre-existing stereotypes that exist. 

I also think there is a large amount of disposable television talent (both Japanese and non) who are dancing cash monkeys for their respective large corporation agencies. So I guess if you want to be in that industry, you have to have swallowed a huge amount of your self respect and pride first and just think about the current cash flow before your inevitable career demise.  

NHK is a bit more respectful as a company to work for but as it is publicly funded, NHK probably has the least amount of money to make programs so you tend to get university professors who are extremely knowledgeable but lack screen charisma, like Ryo Takagi.

IMO, if you didn’t already have an interest in Japanese railways, I’m not sure watching this would help you become more enthused.

As someone who has zero interest in cosplay, maid or cat cafes, most anime, Japanese RPGs etc.. having a presenter called Cathy Cat who then happily shows off some of her cosplay photos standing next to a level crossing making a cat pout, makes me want to switch off.

I'm always impressed by how much effort goes into the design of Japanese products. They really think about how things will be used and how to make the experience better.

Tony Galiani

Finally got to see the Romance Car show which I enjoyed.  Very impressive diorama - maybe I can check it out when I get back to Japan - and the train driving set up looks like fun.  Looking forward to the next show which will be available on September 2nd, according to the countdown clock on the NHK web page.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

Kansen Tsushin
On 8/23/2021 at 3:15 AM, Kamome said:

I find the “non-Japanese” presenters and actors who feature on Japanese television have to fit a sort of larger than life, caricature of people from other countries. The reality is, she probably wouldn’t have been noticed as a reporter for her in-depth reporting style, but more because she dresses a bit crazy and likes cosplay. The problem is that these people, although lucky to find this level of work, also reinforce the pre-existing stereotypes that exist. 

I also think there is a large amount of disposable television talent (both Japanese and non) who are dancing cash monkeys for their respective large corporation agencies. So I guess if you want to be in that industry, you have to have swallowed a huge amount of your self respect and pride first and just think about the current cash flow before your inevitable career demise.  

NHK is a bit more respectful as a company to work for but as it is publicly funded, NHK probably has the least amount of money to make programs so you tend to get university professors who are extremely knowledgeable but lack screen charisma, like Ryo Takagi.

IMO, if you didn’t already have an interest in Japanese railways, I’m not sure watching this would help you become more enthused.

As someone who has zero interest in cosplay, maid or cat cafes, most anime, Japanese RPGs etc.. having a presenter called Cathy Cat who then happily shows off some of her cosplay photos standing next to a level crossing making a cat pout, makes me want to switch off.

I very much doubt Cathy Cat was chosen for her larger than life character. It appears she was working for NHK previously on a news program called Newsroom Tokyo.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJwy_iqUIAAr05Q.jpg

Anyways, I suspect people would watch a train-based show for the trains, not for the talent.

• Like 1

New Episode!

Shinano Railway: Investing in New Trains

September 17, 2021

In Nagano Prefecture, third-sector Shinano Railway came up with a unique strategy to replace their old trains. Investing half of received funds, they gave the remaining half back to their supporters, offering rides on their tourist train, etc. By May 2021, the company reached its 30-million-yen target. See how Shinano Railway utilized this one-of-a-kind strategy to purchase new trains.

• Like 1
Kansen Tsushin
On 9/12/2021 at 11:18 PM, bobbodaclown said:

New Episode!

Shinano Railway: Investing in New Trains

September 17, 2021

In Nagano Prefecture, third-sector Shinano Railway came up with a unique strategy to replace their old trains. Investing half of received funds, they gave the remaining half back to their supporters, offering rides on their tourist train, etc. By May 2021, the company reached its 30-million-yen target. See how Shinano Railway utilized this one-of-a-kind strategy to purchase new trains.

It's actually on the 16th September for those not in Australia time.

7 hours ago, Kansen Tsushin said:

It's actually on the 16th September for those not in Australia time.

You mean Japan time...

Since the show is broadcast up to 1930 utc? Or 7.30pm gmt for the older players. That is 19.5 hours into a calender day. So it covers more than two thirds of the globe.

So maybe the 16th of those in the America's.

Edited by katoftw
  • Thanks 1
Kansen Tsushin
17 hours ago, katoftw said:

You mean Japan time...

Since the show is broadcast up to 1930 utc? Or 7.30pm gmt for the older players. That is 19.5 hours into a calender day. So it covers more than two thirds of the globe.

So maybe the 16th of those in the America's.

It's started now.

For your information, these are the times:

PST - 7:30 AM & 1:30 PM
EST - 10:30 AM & 4:30 PM
BST - 15:30 PM & 21:30 PM
CEST - 16:30 PM & 22:30 PM
JST - 23:30 PM & 5:30 AM (Next day)

AST - 00:30 AM (Next day)

HankyuDentetsu

The latest episode about Shinano Railway is a good one. The funding mechanism used to pay for the new rolling stock and keep the railway afloat is interesting. The crowd-funding model that the railway offered to the general public is really interesting and extremely soft - as an investor you can't lose, only gain.... although the gains are so small it seems more similar to loaning them money with a low interest rate attached. Regardless, you wouldn't be investing for a return, you'd be doing it to keep the company alive, so I'm still impressed by how they've done this.

I will say though, the "treasure hunt" they arranged for people to literally take home pieces of one of their Series 115 trains is utterly genius. I've never seen anything like it.

As an aside, I've taken the Kita-Shinano line from Myoko-Kogen to Nagano Station, before hopping onto the Hokuriku Shinkansen back to Tokyo. It was mid February and it was truly amazing to see the snow and conditions change so rapidly; the snow was stacked high in Myoko - literally metres of it - but as we headed towards Nagano it diminished quickly, and by the time we got to the station there wasn't any snow at all - all in the course of 45 mins. Great journey, so scenic.

Not that it's of interest but to get there we took the night bus from Kyoto Station to Myoko - Japan's ski-resort nightbus services are just so good, it's ridiculous.

Finally, Ryo's opening line "yes I really wanted to join you... physically" just made me laugh so much. A+ accidental innuendo material!

• Like 1

Just saw the show tonight.  I really enjoyed it.  Hope Ryo is okay - that was the most conservative outfit I have seen him wear.  As always, I am impressed by the local commitment to railways and to community and the general enthusiasm for the Shinano Railway.  Another railway I would like to ride ....

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, HankyuDentetsu said:

The latest episode about Shinano Railway is a good one. The funding mechanism used to pay for the new rolling stock and keep the railway afloat is interesting.

That's really an interresting way of funding a public transport system. Being involved, not only thru your local or national tax is a good approach. 

Kansen Tsushin

New episode next week!

This is Not the End of the Line: Noto, Ishikawa Prefecture
October 14, 2021
PT - 7:30 AM - 1:30 PM
ET - 10:30 AM - 4:30 PM
GMT - 14:30 PM - 20:30 PM
EUR - 16:30 PM - 22:30 PM
JPN - 23:30 PM - 05:30 AM (Oct 15)
OZ - 01:30 AM - 06:30 AM(Oct 15)

Currently, many places in Japan are utilizing discontinued railways such as tracks and station buildings to revitalize their local community. Visitors can enjoy trekking along a discontinued line or riding a preserved train on the remaining track. Join us as we take a deeper look at a section of Noto Railway's discontinued line in Ishikawa Prefecture transformed into a contemporary art festival - Oku-Noto Triennale 2020+ and a fun rail bicycle experience.

• Like 1
Kansen Tsushin

Another new episode!!!

Asa Coast Railway: The World's First DMV
November 11, 2021
PT - 6:30 AM - 12:30 PM
ET - 9:30 AM - 3:30 PM
GMT - 13:30 PM - 19:30 PM
EUR - 15:30 PM - 21:30 PM
JPN - 23:30 PM - 05:30 AM (Nov 12)
OZ - 00:30 AM - 05:30 AM (Nov 12)

Third-sector Asa Coast Railway, which runs between Tokushima and Kochi Prefectures in the Shikoku region, has introduced what may be the world's first dual-mode vehicle (DMV) in an effort to revitalize the region and attract tourists. The DMV can run on both tracks and roads, making transportation in the area more convenient. See how the DMV works, as well as local efforts that lead to its introduction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
The Birmingham train spotter

To be honest I Love Japan Railway Journal and watching it, it's one of the only TV shows I can find about Japanese trains and NHK World Japan has interesting content I enjoy. Japan Railway Journal focuses on the best part of Japan's railway network and I enjoy every episode. The presenter Cathy Cat is a mixed bag for the show as she is extremely enthusiast about it yet she doesn't fully understand the railway or the topic being discussed, don't get me wrong it's nice  seeing people taking a interest in the railways and I understand when she talks about the anime demon slayer and so fourth

• Like 1
The Birmingham train spotter

Just seen the episode on the DMV and the E4 Shinkansen,a amazing episode and the DMV is a amazing design but knowing that the E4 Shinkansen is being retired out of mainline use is shame

• Like 1
  • disturbman changed the title to New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

New Episode!

Shinkansen Freight: Carrying On Post Pandemic
November 26, 2021

The JR companies have been working on ways to use the shinkansen to provide freight services to compensate for lost passenger revenue. JR East, in particular, began experimenting with the Tohoku Shinkansen in 2017 before expanding to include the Joetsu, Hokuriku and Yamagata Shinkansen. Now, the Tohoku Shinkansen is being used to transport freshly caught seafood to a restaurant in Tokyo. See JR East's plans for its shinkansen and conventional express trains post pandemic.