New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

HankyuDentetsu

Japan Railway Journal died the day our Russel left the show. Nathan tried his best but just didn't have the same presence. Not going to judge Cathy Cat until I see the show, but looking at her youtube channel, I don't hold out much hope...

bobbodaclown

Well it looks like we are going to find out soon!

New Episode!

Moka Railway: Pushing Forward with Steam

April 30, 2021

Moka Railway, which runs between Shimodate Station in Ibaraki Prefecture and Motegi Station in Tochigi Prefecture, began operating their tourist train, a Class C12 steam locomotive, in 1994, and opened the museum for retired steam engines in 2013. However, the cost to inspect and maintain the loco and facilities is expensive. Join us as we take a closer look at Moka Railway. See what they are doing to survive these difficult times and the challenges of preserving steam locomotives.

• Like 4

Selfies and cult of character over content. Love they have to keep twisting the camera around to be cool! Probably because they can’t do decent just regular pans… sorry just makes me feel sad.

jeff

Keep an open mind. That video is shoot with a selfie stick, no camera person or mic boom holder person. Hopefully producers keep true to the formula.

Yep let’s hope! Point is there should not be a selfie stick, that’s the problem, self over content. Sorry I’ve just had to deal with the erosion first hand too much in the biz…

jeff

I’ve watched the new episode with Cathy. In summary: if you like more Ryo Takagi, then your wishes came true.

Ryo Takagi does most of the talking, while Cathy occasionally comments “Oh, like that?” “Oh, that looks difficult” Etc., but not in a way that is super distracting (like in most Japanese TV shows). Pretty down to earth. It’s watchable but I would actually say it is a bit more boring compared to the previous 2 presenters (though the topic was a bit not interesting for me either, maybe that had something to do with it). Previously, the other presenter also had something interesting to say, but that is now pretty much non-existent. 

there is a new intro also which isn’t as great as the previous one.

all in all, it’s still Japan railway journal with a lot of information like before, and with a bigger emphasis on Ryo. So if you like that, then there is no need to worry.

I actually hope that they will give her something more to talk about later though instead of just commenting. Now it seems she is only there to introduce Ryo and to be a bit more accessible for “regular” viewers to tune in and make it a little less dry.

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 4

I have to agree, it would be nice for Cathy to be more involved and add a bit of life to it. I guess she hasn’t found her feet yet, so I look forward to the next one.

Keith

Tony Galiani

Not keen on the style of the Japan Retro Train Ride video but I certainly like the train.  I've seen those little tractors in industrial situations looking very dirty but they seem to clean up nicely.  And that would make a nice set up to model (if I didn't have about 37 unfinished projects underway).

What I am curious about is how they actually work with the train as the don't have train brake lines and no MU capacity.  Wonder if only the one pulling the train is in use while the other idles for the return trip or do they both run with some sort of radio communication with the drivers.  This also reminds me I need to finish the one I have almost done - one of these days.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

HankyuDentetsu

Interesting shift of balance - Ryo very much in charge for that latest episode (good on him - he's earned after all these years!). It was a little dry, but in reality there's not much more Cathy could have done with the subject, particularly given they didn't go out and film a sequence where she actually got to ride the train for herself.

Keeping an open mind, but quietly worried that Cathy has just been brought in to deliver the empty "isn't it cute" statements that women on Japanese TV are so often forced into providing by the show's producers. I'm sure she will have plenty of meaningful contributions to make if the show gives her the freedom to do so!

bill937ca

It seems many times the co-host on Japanese media does little more than say Hi (Yes in English). i suppose this a reflection of Japanese focus on politeness and harmony aka Wa. 

Tony Galiani

Finally got to see the show, although in a somewhat tired state as we had Commencement this morning so I was working bright and early - too early for the local donut shop to be open!  Somewhat stressful morning but in the end it went well.

I too found the show a bit dry but it was nowhere near as I bad as I had expected from watching (part) of one of Cathy's youtube videos.  None of the forced breathless excitement that seems to be a staple of so many youtubers.  I thought she did okay in her limited role and was a bit surprised to see the Ryo was taking the fashion lead.  I did miss Nathan but am looking forward to more shows as I enjoy the subject.

The nice thing for me was the show's content - I really hadn't thought about what it takes to run a steam railway and so I learned quite a bit.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1

Overall happy with it also.  She was reserved and none of the weebiness from her normal youtube channel was present.  Covid seemed to have hampered anything else she could have done as it was all file footage and tech talk by Ryo.  She seemed excited to learn these details which actually was a breathe of fresh air.  Once covid is past, she should get more hands on and travel to locations to report.

Oh well. Ryo does better as a technical commentator. And I guess it must be difficult finding a host who a) can speak English, and, b) has genuine enthusiasm for trains. Like Russell Totten. Hopefully, when things open up more, they can send Cathy the Cat out in the field, reporting on trains and railway lines, and that way she can earn her cred.

What an interesting bio. I never would have guessed she was German. Theatre and arts background. No surprise she's able to adapt quickly to a new milieu. I was quite impressed by her Japanese, but perhaps her English is as impressive. Fluent English is nothing strange for a German, but I've met a ton of Germans, who were almost obsessed with speaking English "without an accent". She seems to have achieved this. Not really sure what accent that is that she's adopted. I hear influences from Britain, (where it seems she studied), and there's a bit of a US/Aussie tone to it. But I don't hear any hint of a German accent. This woman seems like a true chameleon.

https://www.cathy-cat.com/bio/

I've actually never watched this show before. It's really good. But why is it in English? Is it an export product? Is NHK World, like a Japanese "World Service"?

Edit: I hear the German now. Well hidden but it's there. The way she says "locomotive" is a giveaway. 

Edited by gavino200
52 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

I've actually never watched this show before. It's really good. But why is it in English? Is it an export product? Is NHK World, like a Japanese "World Service"?

It is exactly that. One part news and one part 'advertisement' for Japan (see all the travel/cook shows, and all the sci-tech shows about Japanese innovation). I think that some regions do have presenter specific shows that are in a particular language, but I never checked on it (they advertise about it, however).

Afaik, NHK World shows do not make it to 'domestic' channels, though some shows are copied (and slightly adjusted, to make them more appealing to foreigners) from domestic to NHK World. (Sidenote: Foreign TV shows imported into Japan are sometimes also 'japanese-ified' which can be absolutely jarring. I stumbled upon a canadian show that I am a big fan of while I was in Japan and it was unrecognizable in pretty much every way imaginable). Domestic TV do not really need any shows about travel or other specific topics like NHK World does, they already have a lot of them as it is which are much more 'Japanese' in the sense that it would probably not appeal to foreigners.

Edited by Yavianice
grammar
  • Thanks 1
bobbodaclown

New Episode!

Must-see Railway News: The First Half of 2021

July 9, 2021

Across Japan, NHK has been covering a wide range of railway-related news. Join us as we take a look at the news from January to June 2021. See the efforts and ideas implemented by railway companies to survive the pandemic, the introduction of new trains, and some old trains we had to say farewell to, with news-related special guest appearances.

• Like 3
bobbodaclown

New Episode!

Japan's Top New Trains: Awarded for Excellence

July 16, 2021

The Japan Railfan Club, established in 1953 with more than 3,000 members, awards its Blue Ribbon Prize and Laurel Prize to remarkable vehicles that began service the previous year. Of the 16 new vehicles nominated in 2021, Kintetsu Railway's limited express HINOTORI received the Blue Ribbon Prize, while JR East's SAPHIR ODORIKO and JR Central's N700S Shinkansen were awarded the Laurel Prize. Join us and selection committee member Sakato Kota as we take a closer look at the recipients.

• Like 1
Tony Galiani

Just realized that The First Half of 2021 was available to watch on line.  Looks like hard times for the railway companies.  Still, lots of interest and I didn't realize you could run a steam locomotive on compressed air.  Looking forward to the Awards For Excellence later this week.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Like 1
HankyuDentetsu
On 7/1/2021 at 11:16 PM, bobbodaclown said:

New Episode!

Must-see Railway News: The First Half of 2021

July 9, 2021

Across Japan, NHK has been covering a wide range of railway-related news. Join us as we take a look at the news from January to June 2021. See the efforts and ideas implemented by railway companies to survive the pandemic, the introduction of new trains, and some old trains we had to say farewell to, with news-related special guest appearances.

Good episode. I enjoyed the summary style episode, even though most of the stories covered have already either cropped up on this forum or on other social media outlets. 

Favourite part was definitely the DMV coverage - from the vehicle's struggling suspension clearly lurching over bumps due to it's increased weight, to the awesome t-shirt they created to promote it 😄

I loved seeing how innovative the smaller private railways are too; the sleeper sponsorship program from Iga Railway is just genius! I'd love to sponsor a sleeper in Hankyu's network, if they let people do so.

Still haven't got used to the new theme tune though...

• Like 1
HankyuDentetsu
On 7/10/2021 at 1:29 AM, bobbodaclown said:

New Episode!

Japan's Top New Trains: Awarded for Excellence

July 16, 2021

The Japan Railfan Club, established in 1953 with more than 3,000 members, awards its Blue Ribbon Prize and Laurel Prize to remarkable vehicles that began service the previous year. Of the 16 new vehicles nominated in 2021, Kintetsu Railway's limited express HINOTORI received the Blue Ribbon Prize, while JR East's SAPHIR ODORIKO and JR Central's N700S Shinkansen were awarded the Laurel Prize. Join us and selection committee member Sakato Kota as we take a closer look at the recipients.

Another good episode, with Cathy once again taking centre stage.

Does everyone on here agree with the results of this year's blue ribbon prize?

• Like 2
bobbodaclown
3 hours ago, HankyuDentetsu said:

Another good episode, with Cathy once again taking centre stage.

Does everyone on here agree with the results of this year's blue ribbon prize?

Yep, I think they were appropriate. 

bobbodaclown

New Episode!

Back in Time at the Romancecar Museum

July 30, 2021

In April 2021, Odakyu Electric Railway opened its Romancecar Museum. The museum features 5 generations of Romancecars, including the 3000 SE series, which set the world record for the fastest narrow-gauge speed (145km/h) in 1957 (a significant step toward developing the first Series 0 Shinkansen). Join us as we look at the highlights of the new museum and how Romancecars laid the foundation for Japan's limited express trains.

Awards episode was OK. Would have liked to have learned more about the other nominees, but I guess time was an issue. I have to sheepishly admit that Cathy the Cat is a decent presenter.

Hinotori is a nice-looking train. It's a little over two hours Osaka to Nagoya for 4,540 yen (standard car) and 5,240 yen (premium car), hourly schedule. Hopefully, they can attract enough customers in the coming years to make it sustainable.

• Like 1