New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

New Episode!

Keeping Commuters Safe during the Pandemic

January 29, 2021

The coronavirus pandemic has changed the way people live and work. While many people are now working from home, many others are still commuting to work. Because of this, several companies have begun working on solutions to reduce crowding during rush hours. Keio Corporation and Tobu Railway have both begun working on reservation systems, while JR East has developed an app to check train congestion. Train companies are also considering changing fares during peak and off-peak times to ensure passenger safety and peace of mind in these challenging times.

1 minute ago, katoftw said:

Struggling for episode ideas. Better go check if I have watched the last few episodes.

Yep, would be difficult in the current environment.

Does anyone have any episodes archived?

Looking for the episodes focussed on the Hiroshima and toyami lrt systems, they aren't on nhk, and all YouTube videos there were have been removed. 

28 minutes ago, Morcs said:

Does anyone have any episodes archived?

Looking for the episodes focussed on the Hiroshima and toyami lrt systems, they aren't on nhk, and all YouTube videos there were have been removed. 

Do you know the air date or episode number?  I have all up to October 2017.

3 hours ago, katoftw said:

Do you know the air date or episode number?  I have all up to October 2017.

Ep70 may 2019
Ep19 July 2016
Ep33, may 2017

Cheers!

11 hours ago, Morcs said:

Ep70 may 2019
Ep19 July 2016
Ep33, may 2017

Cheers!

Yup i have 2 of those. I will put in google docs so you can download, and i will message you the links.

If i dont in a few days, message me to remind me.

• Thanks 1
On 1/25/2021 at 8:21 AM, Socimi said:

Does anybody still has the old episode (can't recall number or date) dedicated to the Keihan railway?

I will look for you today.  Just gotta watch the first minute of each episode to find it.

• Thanks 1
On 1/26/2021 at 2:42 PM, katoftw said:

I will look for you today.  Just gotta watch the first minute of each episode to find it.

Hey, I'm also looking for some old episodes. would greatly appreciate if you or anyone else has them! here's what i'm missing:

S2016E03 - Earthquake Safety: What 5 Years has Taught Us - March 11, 2016

S2016E14 - Railways Back on Track: Six Months after the Kumamoto Earthquakes - October 7, 2016

S2017E04 - The Long Winter Of Discontent: One Railway's Battle Against Snow Summary History Search - March 9, 2017

S2017E06 - Using Railways To Promote Local Tourism: Kyushu Railway Company's Strategy - April 13, 2017

Wish I had found this series earlier! looking forward to getting through all of the episodes

1 hour ago, jalmont said:

Hey, I'm also looking for some old episodes. would greatly appreciate if you or anyone else has them! here's what i'm missing:

S2016E03 - Earthquake Safety: What 5 Years has Taught Us - March 11, 2016

S2016E14 - Railways Back on Track: Six Months after the Kumamoto Earthquakes - October 7, 2016

S2017E04 - The Long Winter Of Discontent: One Railway's Battle Against Snow Summary History Search - March 9, 2017

S2017E06 - Using Railways To Promote Local Tourism: Kyushu Railway Company's Strategy - April 13, 2017

Wish I had found this series earlier! looking forward to getting through all of the episodes

Got them all. I have first episode til 20th october 2017. Will pm you shortly.

Edited by katoftw
Tony Galiani

Seems like a strange choice to me but they must be aiming for a new demographic.  From her You Tube channel:

"I am Cathy Cat! I am just a foreigner girl living in Japan working as street reporter. Come join my channel so see what goes on behind the scenes with videos about my life in Japan, japan travel tips and guides of how to live in Tokyo. I feature my everyday as well as Japanese fashion, kawaii Japan goods, Anime, Manga, Hauls and events and more."

I couldn't make it through her Big Announcement about this even though it is only 3 minutes and 51 seconds long.  But since I can be described as very low key I am probably not the best person to judge.  Wonder how she will fit in with Ryo.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

She has made some cool videos about the Tokyo Subway and other railway related topics. Probably one of the reasons how she got the job. But I wonder how this will change the overall atmosphere. I wish her luck and will keep an open mind.

this was probably her biggest “train” topic video, shared before also.

• Like 5

Woooaaaa where is the energy dial, quick get me the remote! Wonder how she will be on the show.

One of the reasons I like many of the nhk shows is their calm nature. It’s soothing in a world of tv culture here with even documentaries have to have dire catastrophes just before each commercial (oh no the train is going to crash if the engineer can’t do the thing he has done a thousand times of using the brakes!!!) — the calmness is appreciated. But I’m an old fart that watches for content not drama.

jeff

• Like 4

First Russel, now Nathan.  I hate to be morbid but realistically the clock is already ticking on Cathy.  Grim stuff.

In Cathy Cat’s “defense,” her style seems more typical of what Japanese television is actually like.

YouTuber Chris Broad has some thoughts about Japanese television:

• Like 1

True. It also remains to be seen whether she'll do the show "in-character". She may well tone it down a lot for this show. 

2 hours ago, gavino200 said:

True. It also remains to be seen whether she'll do the show "in-character". She may well tone it down a lot for this show. 

There are aspects of Japanese pop culture I think are awesome and aspects I find absolutely bewildering.

It is a study in contrasts! NHK channel here is always highly reserved. Even the news is now more reserved than the bbc!

jeff