New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

Thank you for posting Lee.

As for the show, I think that based on personal experience that, unless I was putting my bag in a locker at Narita or my hotel was at Ueno I'd still take the NEX going in and out because, again from personal experience, carrying a bag up stairs is a pain. If I were dropping  to Narita for a transfer I'd use the Skyliner because it's faster. 

The new episode for next week will be glorious. This episode will be about the new JR East train cruise "Train Suite Shiki-shima", details now:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/201708310600/

September 8, 2017

Train Suite Shiki-shima: The High-Tech Luxury Cruise Train

May 2017 saw the launch of JR East's new cruise train, "Train Suite Shiki-shima". "Cruise trains" are a new type of luxury train that stop at sightseeing spots in Japan. "Train Suite Shiki-shima" is Japan's second cruise train following the launch of JR Kyushu's "SEVEN STARS IN KYUSHU" in 2013, and with JR West's "TWILIGHT EXPRESS MIZUKAZE" coming in June 2017, Japan is entering a new "cruise train" era. See the technology and support that makes this cruise train a truly luxurious experience.

Hours of Broadcast (London Time)

Thursday, September 7  16:30 - 17:00  22:30 - 23:00

Friday, September 8  4:30 - 5:00  10:30 - 11:00

Edited by fpav_2125
  • Like 2

And next week another new episode is coming, this time will be about the revival of Tobu Railway's Steam Service, details now:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/201709060600/

September 15, 2017

A Long-Awaited Whistle: Tobu Railway's Steam Service Revival

From August 2017, TOBU Railway started operating "SL TAIJU"; a tourist steam train and the first steam service on the railway for 50 years. TOBU Railway discontinued steam services in 1966, leaving them no equipment or facilities, so 8 railway companies across Japan helped out. The Class C11 loco was lent by JR Hokkaido, the passenger cars by other JR companies, while training was done in cooperation with railway companies operating steam locos. See the revival project and the fantastic new "SL TAIJU".

Thursday, September 14  16:30 - 17:00  22:30 - 23:00

Friday, September 15  4:30 - 5:00  10:30 - 11:00

Edited by fpav_2125
  • Like 2
On 8/31/2017 at 10:15 AM, fpav_2125 said:

The new episode for next week will be glorious. This episode will be about the new JR East train cruise "Train Suite Shiki-shima", details now:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/201708310600/

September 8, 2017

Train Suite Shiki-shima: The High-Tech Luxury Cruise Train

May 2017 saw the launch of JR East's new cruise train, "Train Suite Shiki-shima". "Cruise trains" are a new type of luxury train that stop at sightseeing spots in Japan. "Train Suite Shiki-shima" is Japan's second cruise train following the launch of JR Kyushu's "SEVEN STARS IN KYUSHU" in 2013, and with JR West's "TWILIGHT EXPRESS MIZUKAZE" coming in June 2017, Japan is entering a new "cruise train" era. See the technology and support that makes this cruise train a truly luxurious experience.

Thursday, September 7  16:30 - 17:00  22:30 - 23:00

Friday, September 8  4:30 - 5:00  10:30 - 11:00

Strange.I was sure that I got all of Lees(many thanks) uploads.I haven't seen this one. Does anybody has this on google drive please?

Edited by Sascha
4 hours ago, Sascha said:

Strange.I was sure that I got all of Lees(many thanks) uploads.I haven't seen this one. Does anybody has this on google drive please?

We have to wait. This episode (Cruise train Shiki-shima) is broadcasting today and tomorrow.

Edited by fpav_2125
  • Like 1

Thanks Lee!

After watching the different offical JR rail cruise schedules, i find two things strange. One is the amount of bus usage during the day (when you could see the scenery from the train), especially compared to the unofficial cruises seen on the tv show which use mostly rail only.

The second thing is the amount of kids at certain stops. When these cruises become scheduled, this needs the kids to be there everytime a cruise arrives, which could be like twice a week. How do they manage that?

1 hour ago, kvp said:

The second thing is the amount of kids at certain stops. When these cruises become scheduled, this needs the kids to be there everytime a cruise arrives, which could be like twice a week. How do they manage that?

It might not work every time, but it seems they use every chance they get to get locals to cooperate with them. JR in general that is.

When I rode the Ban'etsu Monogatari, we passed by a school which held its sports festival, and they had all the children lined up by the side of the track waving and holding up banners.

• Thanks 1

Episode 40: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7LFvItVrwd0a3BGWXpVcmtJTEE/view?usp=sharing

:sleepy5:

Interesting but useless fact, at 11:37, you see a small connection with my part of the world... I live in Gorton, Manchester. If you ever see reference to a place called Gorton Locomotive Works, (or Gorton Tank) in your historic travels, then that's where past members of my family used to work. I was born in 1964, in Openshaw, Manchester.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
scotspensioner

Thank you Lee.Your work is appreciated.In June 1968,I was on a Special train from Edinburgh to Sheffield which changed locos from70013 Oliver Cromwell toWoodhead  Electric 26052 at Guide Bridge for the return trip to Sheffield.Incidentally our return to Edinburgh was by Stirling and the Forth Bridge!

I later spent some holidays in Oldham but I had a trip out to  Glossopharyngeal to visit a cousin in the 1970s..A long time ago

Alex