New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

bobbodaclown

New Train Cruise Episode coming on June 17!

Along the Coast of the Seto Inland Sea

"Located in western Japan, the Seto Inland Sea is home to about 700 islands. This episode, we travel from Okayama Prefecture to Hiroshima Prefecture along the coast. The La Malle de Bois train is perfect for tourists with free Wi-Fi and outlets, while the Setouchi Marine View's huge windows allow for amazing views of the ocean. While taking in the beautiful sights, we stop at Kurashiki, Onomichi, Takehara, Kure, and finally Hiroshima, enjoying all that they have to offer."

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/traincruise/201706080600/ 

Edited by bobbodaclown
  • Like 1

What?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this episode as well!

I remember someone here mentioned when they were designing the KiHa 40, there were fights with the JNR unions over the size of the operator's cab. Which explains why the cab is quite roomy for such a small DMU.

Also according to some atricles on the net, the first batch was considered underpowered for their weight and the mild steel construction outdated. On the bright side, the hydraulic transmission is simple enough to allow repowering multiple times and a lower powered engine means less speed and lower fuel consumption due to higher efficiency. While the thick mild steel rusts, it could be repaired with basic car body tools and repainted as many times as needed. This early 1960ies design philosophy probably gave the series a long life, unlike the first batch of the new philosophy 205 series emus built right after them. But this is just my guess based on various pages i found.

It's going to be interesting to see how this episode of Japan Railway Journal talks about the KiHa 40 Series. Some of the very first KiHa 40's were sent to to operate in the cold winters of Hokkaido, and they're still there even now. Methinks JNR should have bought at least 300 to 400 more KiHa 40's because this model pretty much ended the age of steam-powered passenger trains and older DMU's all over Japan.

I would have assumed they might have explained the differences between a KiHa 40, 47 and 48.

Edited by katoftw

New Train Cruise will be up later. Vertigo attack and programming don't mix well, so I am just taking a break from the PC as I need to drive for some shopping later, so my head/eyes/balance needs to work properly for that. :(

Will be uploaded by the end of the day though... the end of the UK day that is.

bobbodaclown

Next Show:

July 7, 2017 - 1:30

Since the opening in 1964, the Tokaido Shinkansen has been known for high-speed and reliable operations. See the latest technology and maintenance procedures that support this almighty Shinkansen.

Repeat of Japan Railway Journal - Episode 22

Edited by bobbodaclown

And next week a new episode about the competition of express services in Narita Airport (JR East Narita Express vs Keisei Skyliner) and Kansai Airport (JR West Haruka vs rapi:t Nankai) Detalis now:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/201707050600/

July 14, 2017

Airport Express Lines: How Competition is Improving the Ride into the City

At Narita and Kansai International Airports, railways providing access into the city must constantly offer better services at lower prices to maintain their market share. JR East's "Narita Express" and Keisei Electric Railway's "Skyliner" operate between Narita Airport and Tokyo, while JR West's "HARUKA" and Nankai Electric Railway's "rapi:t" serve Kansai Airport and Osaka. See the strategies these railways use to attract travelers from overseas, including special discounts and unique services.

Hours of Broadcast (London Time)

Thursday, July 13 16:30 - 17:0022:30 - 23:00

Friday, July 14 4:30 - 5:0010:30 - 11:00

Edited by fpav_2125
  • Like 3

Next Show:

July 7, 2017 - 1:30

Since the opening in 1964, the Tokaido Shinkansen has been known for high-speed and reliable operations. See the latest technology and maintenance procedures that support this almighty Shinkansen.

Repeat of Japan Railway Journal - Episode 22

I just sat and watched this to make sure it was okay to convert and I was convinced I had seen it... I was just about to post that it was a repeat but it seems it was already known. Saves a bit of time today anyway... just glad I decided to watch it first.

bobbodaclown

So is not new but a repeat?

I just sat and watched this to make sure it was okay to convert and I was convinced I had seen it... I was just about to post that it was a repeat but it seems it was already known. Saves a bit of time today anyway... just glad I decided to watch it first.

Sorry gents. As noted in my original post it was a repeat of episode 22.

The Airport Express Lines episode is a new one.

I usually refer to translating https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Railway_Journal to confirm whether it is new or a repeat.

Hope you are doing okay Lee.

Edited by bobbodaclown

If you can point me to the correct page that would be awesome katoftw. I look at https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/ and I cannot for the life of me see where it indicates a new episode or a repeat.

They don't make it that easy to spot but if you look at this page, just next to the date https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/201706280600/

You can see it says *RERUN in pale gray letters... that is really easy to miss in my opinion, they should make it much clearer. The episode next week is the same, that's also a rerun.

Don't worry about it though, I record every episode simply because I have a repeat timer set up. If I had to try and remember to set it up just for new episodes, I'd never record anything. My memory is like the proverbial sieve. :blush:

bobbodaclown

Thanks Lee. That's where I was going astray. I was looking at the programme page one level up and not clicking through to the episode page itself. I can see where it shows "*Rerun" now that you have pointed it out.

Regards, Bob.

Edited by bobbodaclown