New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

May 5 episode was a repetition of episode 19.

I'm laughing at myself.  Cos I was wondering to myself that why would they do another LRv episode when they did one 6 months ago. haha

Thanks as always Lee.

PS you have mail :-)

Thank you... wasn't with it yesterday (anniversary of my wife's death, so is always a stressful day) so I wasn't sure whether that mail had arrived before or after I made the post on here. It's all set for next week now anyway, thank you.

Darklighter

Great episode (as always), but I especially enjoyed the segment with Christian from Paris. 

In effect, these trolleys replaced the old dedicated snack bar cars on the Tokaido Shinkansen. When I rode the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto (and back) in 1985, there was a dedicated snack bar car on the old 0 Series Shinikansen trainsets where you could buy drinks, snacks and bento boxes. 

In effect, these trolleys replaced the old dedicated snack bar cars on the Tokaido Shinkansen.

It's more effective as most people are unvilling to leave their seats and walk through half the train just to get some snacks. According to the show almost every 4th person gets something during a trip and that would be quite the traffic if everybody had to walk.

One good example from Europe is the railjet with both trolley, dining car and in place services. 1st class gets in place service, 2nd usually uses the dining car and 3rd just gets the trolley. The personnel are rotated though as one round with a trolley is alternated with one round in the diner. (1st class has dedicated personnel) Slow trains (all stops long distance) on the other hand get only 3rd party carts or often just basket service.

It's more effective as most people are unvilling to leave their seats and walk through half the train just to get some snacks. According to the show almost every 4th person gets something during a trip and that would be quite the traffic if everybody had to walk.

Of course, it was very fortunate for me on the trip from Tokyo to Kyoto--the refreshment car was right next to the Green Car class carriage I was sitting in with my brother and late mother.

During next week another new episode, this time about the Kiha 40 train, for me, one of the most iconic trains of Japan.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/201706070600/

June 16, 2017

The Unsung Hero of Japanese Railways: Series Kiha 40 Diesel Trains

Series Kiha 40 diesel trains were mass-produced in the late 1970's, and were highly valued on non-electrified lines. These workhorses are made from durable mild steel, and even after the privatization of Japan National Railways and 40 years in service, trains are still operating all over Japan. Kiha 40 trains are easier to refurbish and currently, there are many cases where companies are converting them into fun tourist trains. In this program, we introduce the "unsung hero" of Japan's railways that wrote itself into the history books.

Hours of Broadcast (London Time)

Thursday, June 1516:30 - 17:0022:30 - 23:00

Friday, June 16 4:30 - 5:0010:30 - 11:00

Edited by fpav_2125
  • Like 4

Me, too. Despite the considerable controversy over its design, the KiHa 40/47/48 series--of which 888 were built and most of them are still in service--proved to be a major workhorse on non-electrified lines in Japan. I believe only JR East and JR Central have pretty much phased out their KiHa 40 series fleets.

Despite the considerable controversy over its design

What?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this episode as well!

Wonderbolt

Look forward to it as well, they have covered Shinkansens a lot quite recently so a focus on more workaday stock is welcome.