New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

In 1 week another new episode about the future of rail freight transport and a report of SCMaglev and Railway Park in Nagoya, it's amazing, two new episodes in the same month, it's happened also in May with Shimakaze and Tama episodes.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/201606080600/

The Future of Rail Freight Transport

Freight trains are making a change to improve the quality of their service. Implementations such as "modal shift" - a switchover from truck transport to freights, company dedicated freights for faster delivery, Japan's unique technology to improve the efficiency of transport and the 12 feet containers that are gaining attention from Southeast Asian countries. Also see the history of high-speed railway at the SC Maglev and Railway Park located in Nagoya. 
tv_episode_201606080600_01_large.jpg

tv_episode_201606080600_02_min.jpgtv_episode_201606080600_03_min.jpgtv_episode_201606080600_04_min.jpgtv_episode_201606080600_05_min.jpgtv_episode_201606080600_06_min.jpg

Next Broadcast (UTC London Time)

Thursday, June 16 16:30 - 17:0022:30 - 23:00

Friday, June 17 4:30 - 5:0010:30 - 11:00

Edited by fpav_2125
  • Like 1

They must have spend a week in central Japan and pumped out heaps of filming.  All the recent episodes have come more frequently and all near the same central location.

• Like 1

Good grief, I don't know when one week starts and the next ends at the best of times, this is all getting very confusing with all these new episodes. I just looked at that page, saw one listed for June 3rd, was convinced I'd missed something because it only felt like last week when I did the cat episode. :(

• Like 1

Good grief, I don't know when one week starts and the next ends at the best of times, this is all getting very confusing with all these new episodes. I just looked at that page, saw one listed for June 3rd, was convinced I'd missed something because it only felt like last week when I did the cat episode. :(

Episode of June 3 was an old episode from 2015 (Hokuriku Shinkansen, episode 2), new episodes for June 9 and June 16 in the same hours published. 

bobbodaclown

Thank you Lee and Dabsan for these wonderful episodes. Somehow I have managed to completely miss episode 11 and the links for episodes 14 and 15 now seem to be dead. Is there any chance the three of them can be reposted? Again, many thanks for all your efforts.

• Like 1

Thank you to the usual parties involved.

The last new segment was great.  Getting to see railway communities across Japan will be fun in the future.

Why does the E353 remind me of main character from Eyeshield 21? OR Justin Tuck's helmet?

06-15-tuck-article.jpg

Edited by katoftw

Have to say I am disappointed n the broadcast quality of that episode and it seems (although I haven't checked fully yet) that it was a problem with just the first broadcast. I always record things twice for this very reason, so if other people have the same concerns, then I will convert and re-upload the episode.

They used to show the first broadcast at 10:30 pm but they have started showing the earlier one at 4:30pm, which is the one I use so I can get it uploaded quicker. Maybe that's a problem and I will need to wait for the later recording in future.

My *normal* recording that I usually rely on is done at 4:30am, when I know the system is in an unused state. This isn't the first time one broadcast has been bad, I had one with a 10 minute black screen in the middle... annoying to say the least. :(

Edit: If people are wondering what I mean, here's a comparison between the two in an image. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7LFvItVrwd0M2xXcjlGbWxFczQ/view?usp=sharing

Edited by LeeC22

Wow, big difference! Maybe a problem in the signal that has caused the pixelation or overflow problem on the trasponder. What do you think Lee?

Edited by Ronny

To be honest, it could be anything, I mean it wasn't like that picture the whole way through, it was just occasional glitches. Weather has been a bit iffy yesterday and today and even though I've got an 80cm dish, it still gets affected. I also watch stuff through my receiver off my NAS at that time of the day, so that could have caused a problem.

It could be any number of factors, I just can't tell for sure... but as I say, this is exactly why I record twice. If things were really bad, I could edit and splice parts together from both to make one good episode. From what I can see though, the second recording looks fine.

I've already converted it so if people are genuinely bothered by it, then I'll upload it and share it, to save dabsan messing about downloading and uploading it again. Most people can tolerate things like this, I can't by nature of what I did for a living, so it bugs me like heck.

Ah right... It's very hard to diagnose why satellite feeds have a problem like this.

I get NHK World HD via the Astra satellite (28.2E), which is usually pretty stable. However, I do have two dishes and depending on which tuner I have available, it will choose one of my two dishes accordingly. So I could be using my 80cm dish, or I could be using the normal Sky dish, which is much smaller. That can sometimes result in a signal difference of 20% or more.

Then there's the problem that it could be the satellite that has dropped power for a short period, causing a slightly weaker signal, or the upload to the satellite is having problems..

Then it could be atmospheric conditions causing signal disruption, as well as local weather conditions, stormy weather can cause signal disruptions through humidity etc... and then you've got the rain which causes more problems... and we had both here on Thursday.

On top of that, because my satellite is non-standard, it is basically a linux box configured as a satellite receiver (which is what Enigma 2 satellite receivers are), it could be dong all sorts of things at any time of the day, that are not directly TV related.

My guess is an upload problem from NHK World or atmospheric conditions... but it's nothing more than a guess. You kinda have to just accept what you get and hope you don't get it too often. In about three years, I have only had a problem twice like this and both times on the same channel, NHK World... and both times on a Railway show thinking about it.

I just have to be grateful that the show isn't on KBS World, because that really can be a shitty channel. probably the worst channel I have seen on HotBird (13.0E) at times and then another day it can be an amazing picture.

Think of it like watching a YouTube video that suddenly starts to break up and buffer... can you really know for sure whether it's an upload problem or a download problem?

Thanks, Lee. I'll eagerly await the resulting rework to the latest episode (dabsan's link is already dead).

Edited by Faiyez