New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

The link I published is the 16th Episode about Tama and Wakayama Electric Railway http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/201605110600/

The Cat Stationmaster Who Rescued a Railway

Next Broadcast (London Time)
Thursday, May 19 16:30 - 17:0022:30 - 23:00 Friday, May 20 4:30 - 5:0010:30 - 11:00

tv_episode_201605110600_01_large.jpg

tv_episode_201605110600_02_min.jpgtv_episode_201605110600_03_min.jpgtv_episode_201605110600_04_min.jpgtv_episode_201605110600_05_min.jpg

The Wakayama Electric Railway's Kishigawa Line is a well-known local line for its cat stationmaster. Ever since "Tama" the cat was assigned as stationmaster, there has been a significant increase in the numbers of tourists, which resulted in the continuation of a railway that was due to be decommissioned. Discover how the railway was rescued by a cat stationmaster, the unique trains and building shapes designed to deliver excitement and the local support group that shows continuous support.

Edited by fpav_2125

Oh... that's odd, when I checked the website last week, it showed that as a rerun, so I presumed it was an earlier episode... guess I'd better get converting and uploading. Good job my satellite system has a recycle bin, or that would have been gone for good. :blush:

In my defence, I'm really not with it these days. :( ... sorry everyone, I'm on the case.

Don't worry Lee :) I'm sure this episode will be aired again

Edited by fpav_2125

It's fine, it's being uploaded as we speak...

My satellite has a recycle bin, so nothing gets deleted straight away. I just dragged it back out of the recycle bin and did my normal Copy to PC > convert to MP4 > upload to Google Drive. 7 minutes to go, at which point I will message dabsan to let him know it's ready for him.

Thank you Lee and Dabsan, like christmas indeed! Good episode, while it risked being very similar to the many existing documentaries and specials about Tama, I enjoyed seeing behind the scenes and getting growth figures and economic insights. Was also great to hear from the chief of the Wakayama railway.

Seems that Miki Murai is becoming a regular with JRJ, she does a good job though and she was right at home interviewing the chief of the Wakayama railway.

It's a bit funny, but understandable, that nobody mentioned that vertical separation means the government could subsidise track maintenance the same way it would with roads, while allowing the train operating company to earn money on the same terms as a bus company would do, that uses the tax funded public roads. Also, the Wakayama Electric Railway is still not out of the red, just not as deep in it as it would be if it was run on a fully market driven base. Anyway, considering we are talking about a 3rd sector railway that is mostly there as a social service, it's doing very well. Thanks to a cat and those local people who refuse to give up...

It's a bit funny, but understandable, that nobody mentioned that vertical separation means the government could subsidise track maintenance the same way it would with roads, while allowing the train operating company to earn money on the same terms as a bus company would do, that uses the tax funded public roads.

They probably didn't mention it cos the cat railway isn't a shinkansen line.

In 1 week, new episode of Japan Railway Journal, very technical about E353 series.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/201606010600/

New Generation Express: Journey to Speed and Comfortability

A new test vehicle scheduled to operate on the Chuo Conventional Line is currently undergoing performance evaluation and technical verification. Discover the evolution of an express train which operates through many curves using the latest technology, improvements on comfortability and the reason behind the development of the new vehicle through a special test run. Then meet a group in Ishikawa Prefecture which runs "rail bicycles" using the discontinued Noto Line to take visitors for an enjoyable ride.
tv_episode_201606010600_02_large.jpg

tv_episode_201606010600_01_min.jpgtv_episode_201606010600_02_min.jpgtv_episode_201606010600_03_min.jpgtv_episode_201606010600_04_min.jpgtv_episode_201606010600_05_min.jpgtv_episode_201606010600_06_min.jpg

Hours of broadcast:

Next Broadcast (UTC London Time)

Thursday, June 9 16:30 - 17:0022:30 - 23:00

Friday, June 10 4:30 - 5:0010:30 - 11:00

Edited by fpav_2125
  • Like 3

E353 - The Cross bred child between Narita Express & E351 Super Azusa...  Will be interesting!

• Like 3
Ochanomizu

E353 - The Cross bred child between Narita Express & E351 Super Azusa...  Will be interesting!

It's an autobot, JR 500, be careful what you say ... you wouldn't want to hurt it's feelings.

• Like 1

It's an autobot, JR 500, be careful what you say ... you wouldn't want to hurt it's feelings.

Haha ~ It's more decepticon-lish if you ask me. Autobots usually have a more 'calm' look. This guy looks like it will transform into a mean robot with large cannon arms... Or even worse, a Triple-changer like Astro train!  :P

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 1

Added to my record list last night, so you might all get it on time this week... or next week should I say.

• Like 3