New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

Was this last video a lower video quality?  I seem to remember the previous videos be crisper.  And I get a few jolts/buffering every now have them.

• Like 1

Thanks again for sharing!

Katoftw, i think your connection was probably not stable and google automatically switches to a lower quality if your net and/or computer is not up to the task. You can also manually switch between them during playback.

First, thanks a lot Lee and Dabsan for the upload.

But I have to second Katoftw on this.

Though I downloaded the 720p version, the file's size is two times smaller than the previous uploads (344mo vs ~670mo).
And it looks definitely not as good/crisp as the previous episodes.

Perhaps another codec or encoding option was used ?

Edited by splifdfx
wolff67310

First, thanks a lot Lee and Dabsan for the upload.

But I have to second Katoftw on this.

Though I downloaded the 720p version, the file's size is two times smaller than the previous uploads (344mo vs ~670mo).

And it looks definitely not as good/crisp as the previous episodes.

Perhaps another codec or encoding option was used ?

the video bitrate on episode 14 was 3190 Kb/s, on episode 15 only 1631 Kb/s.  Also episode 15 duration is only 28 minutes, episode 14 was 47. Codec used in ep.15 is different.

episode 14 :

Format                      : MPEG-4

Format profile              : Base Media
Codec ID                    : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size                   : 1.05 GiB
Duration                    : 47mn 0s
Overall bit rate mode       : Variable
Overall bit rate            : 3 190 Kbps
Writing application         : Lavf54.63.104

Episode 15 :

Format                      : MPEG-4
Format profile              : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID                    : mp42 (isom/mp42)
File size                   : 328 MiB
Duration                    : 28mn 8s
Overall bit rate mode       : Variable
Overall bit rate            : 1 631 Kbps
Encoded date                : UTC 2016-05-15 11:32:08
Tagged date                 : UTC 2016-05-15 11:32:08

I thought I should just post this here to answer a few questions.

This episode didn't come from me, I'm dealing with some personal issues that have taken precedence over a railway video. Once a year I have to deal with the anniversary of losing my wife and train videos don't even register as being even remotely important.

Eventually I will get round to giving Dabsan my video but it's likely not going to be for a few days yet.

• Like 2

Eventually I will get round to giving Dabsan my video but it's likely not going to be for a few days yet.

Take all the time in the world Lee! While I look forward to the HD version I completely understand you taking a break. All the best.

• Like 1

This episode didn't come from me, I'm dealing with some personal issues that have taken precedence over a railway video. Once a year I have to deal with the anniversary of losing my wife and train videos don't even register as being even remotely important.

Thanks for sharing this with us Lee san. My deepest condolences for the lost of a loved one. Stay strong ~

Trains are a hobby to me too. It helps to make life easier and more interesting, but it doesn't signify all that life is about. Priority is important and as friends we can offer you support in times of distress ~  

Cheers!

• Like 1

Also episode 15 duration is only 28 minutes, episode 14 was 47. Codec used in ep.15 is different.

Wait what?

Episode 14 was Ekiben and 27 minutes. At least the one I watched. :icon_scratch:

Wait what?

Episode 14 was Ekiben and 27 minutes. At least the one I watched. :icon_scratch:

27 minutes and 59 seconds to be precise... as is Ep 15 and 13 for that matter.

In fact, apart from Ep 1, every episode has been either 27:59 or 28:00, that's pretty consistent, much like their trains.

Edited by LeeC22
  • Like 1

Thank you both, a great episode. Mrs A was confused about the footboard, but after explaining she now thinks all restrooms should have them! Powder room also got a big tick of approval. I enjoyed seeing Russell as an English speaking tourist, the railway staff all did a great job of communicating with him.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk

@utrainia: I am also confused about the footboard... is it something to do with separating the platform from the motion of the train? I can't find much from googling either.

Thanks to dabsan and Lee for Shimakaze episode and explanation, now I remember NHK World repeats some of its programs very much, two examples, last year were broadcast many times the episode of Isumi Railway and the episode of Hokkaido Shinkansen too. There are many opportunities to record Japan Railway Journal episodes in HD.

From twitter "@echikoTAMA" (Was the official twitter of Tama, now of Nitama and other cats for the future of Wakayama Electric Railway)

https://twitter.com/ekichoTAMA/status/726356956974174208

ChSJxvUU0AAFzwx.jpg

This was published April 30. I was already aware of this episode earlier this month. 

Edited by fpav_2125

@utrainia: I am also confused about the footboard... is it something to do with separating the platform from the motion of the train? I can't find much from googling either.

Not quite, it folds down from the wall so you can stand on that while you change your outfit (as you do...) without having to touch the floor. Ideal if you need to take off your shoes, as if their toilet floors are anything like the toilet floors I've seen while traveling, last thing you want to do is touch them with your bare feet! So now Lee can emerge from the restroom looking great in a whole new set of clothes, without any funky foot germs :)
  • Like 1

Ah, I didn't consider the hygiene aspect, thanks for explaining.

I guess I am so used to seeing Japanese trains that look spotless (on TV that is, I have never and will never see them in real life), so unlike the garbage filled UK trains, they don't make you think about dirt and germs.

• Like 2

Temporary link of last Japan Railway Journal episode from Youtube NHK World On Demand Channel (360p quality)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZUiVLaM8jM

This link will disappear when appear 720p version

720p version is already here on the previous page: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/9782-new-nhk-world-show-japan-railway-journal/page-11?do=findComment&comment=136885