New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

Fantastic, thanks a lot again !

(We must look like crackheads thanking their dealer !  :love10:)

one of many train addiction subgroups we will need to form sometime in the future here i think! mainline some more bits!

jeff

• Like 1

Next Show

japanrailway_2015_s.jpg

April 7, 2016 - 17:30

Traveling at 500km/h, the Superconducting Maglev will connect Tokyo to Nagoya

only in 40 minutes and is planned to open in 2027.

See the new technology it uses at the test run.

• Like 3

Further details about the next episode:

Superconducting Maglev: The Extreme Speeds of Tomorrow
Traveling at 500km/h, the Superconducting Maglev will connect Tokyo to Nagoya in just 40 minutes and is planned to begin commercial service in 2027.
To achieve such extreme speeds, magnetic levitation is used to lift the train 10cm above the guideway. See the cutting-edge technology used to safely
operate ultra-high speed services, and experience the world of 500km/h rail travel as we report from the 42km-long Yamanashi Maglev Test Line.
tv_episode_201603310600_01_large.jpg
tv_episode_201603310600_01_min.jpgtv_episode_201603310600_02_min.jpgtv_episode_201603310600_03_min.jpgtv_episode_201603310600_04_min.jpg

• Like 1

Amazing how long it's taken for maglev technology to finally be used in a major project. For those of us old enough to remember Raymond Baxter presenting Tomorrow's World here in the UK, it seems to have been around forever. They used to do the floating tray demonstration at virtually every year's university lectures at Christmas.

Actually, having just done a bit of reading, I discovered that it has already been used in Germany and for a while, a small system in Birmingham here in the UK... well there you go, something new learned.

I imagine the Japan system is going to be pretty special though, based on their current railway system, I won't be around to see the real thing, so it will be interesting to watch the show.

Amazing how long it's taken for maglev technology to finally be used in a major project. For those of us old enough to remember Raymond Baxter presenting Tomorrow's World here in the UK, it seems to have been around forever. They used to do the floating tray demonstration at virtually every year's university lectures at Christmas.

Actually, having just done a bit of reading, I discovered that it has already been used in Germany and for a while, a small system in Birmingham here in the UK... well there you go, something new learned.

I imagine the Japan system is going to be pretty special though, based on their current railway system, I won't be around to see the real thing, so it will be interesting to watch the show.

Well, the Shanghai Maglev Train is operational since 2004 already. I still remember riding the German Transrapid at the Emsland test facility prior to the opening of the Shanghai Maglev. Was a great experience. But the fatal collision in 2006 pretty much marked the end of this project and the test track will be demolished.

And the next ep:

Ekiben, a word that combines eki, meaning station, and the ben from bento, are special boxed meals sold at stations and
on trains all over Japan. Around 4,000 different kinds of ekiben are sold throughout Japan, and each one is packed with
the distinct culture and cuisine of the local area its made in. Discover the special techniques used to ensure that ekiben
are always high quality and delicious even when chilled, and some tips on how to really enjoy lunch on the train.

tv_episode_201604060600_01_large.jpg
tv_episode_201604060600_01_min.jpgtv_episode_201604060600_02_min.jpgtv_episode_201604060600_03_min.jpgtv_episode_201604060600_04_min.jpgtv_episode_201604060600_05_min.jpg
Edited by Suica
  • Like 5