New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

Hi people. I have only seen episode 1 to 4 but I can guess that the coming episode must be a good one as well.

Talking about Ep4, it was a surprise that the hybrid-train station looks quite similar to the one which I was playing it in another post (http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/11125-interlocking-something-just-for-the-kicks%E2%80%A6-or-a-temp-layout-with-a-temp-interlocking-for-1-to-3-users/).

Actually, the initial layout design (taken from a magazine) is for a single line. Later on, I decided to spicy things up and perform a line duplication so I ended up with a double line layout.

It was a good episode, looking forward the next one (or maybe I would jump to the latest one...) Cheers.

• Like 1

The correct layout for this type of japanese bypass station is always one turnout towards the platform, one turnout towards the siding and a strictly turnoutless crossing across the line between them. Adding more than one platform siding is optional. The idea is to always stop and start the trains on flat ground, so the platform and siding tracks are level but the line isn't. This arrangement was only used (and actually only needed) on single track mountain lines, running mostly with slightly underpowered stream engines and/or loose rakes of freight trains.

The magazine article actually swapped the crossing for a double slip while removing one of the key turnouts, which is strictly forbidden in real life and makes the whole setup mostly unusable.

I am posting this on this topic and the other one I supply videos for, the Train Cruise show.

I base the quality of the video conversions I do on the ones that the_weird_one originally used to post... basically they're 1280x720 @ 3000 Kb/s. Are people okay with that, or would they prefer that I reduce the quality on them to save on download amounts/time?

Makes very little difference to me, as I only ever watch the originals (which are 1920x1080 @ 10000 kb/s and over 2GB per episode as a result), but I appreciate that the size of the videos might be too high for some people, or that people might be just as happy with a reduced quality.

If anyone has any feedback, let me know...

• Like 1

I am posting this on this topic and the other one I supply videos for, the Train Cruise show.

I base the quality of the video conversions I do on the ones that the_weird_one originally used to post... basically they're 1280x720 @ 3000 Kb/s. Are people okay with that, or would they prefer that I reduce the quality on them to save on download amounts/time?

Makes very little difference to me, as I only ever watch the originals (which are 1920x1080 @ 10000 kb/s and over 2GB per episode as a result), but I appreciate that the size of the videos might be too high for some people, or that people might be just as happy with a reduced quality.

If anyone has any feedback, let me know...

Hi Lee !  For me personally, video quality is very important to enjoy the shows. "1280x720" seems to be the minimum today but I understand that some people may have problems to download great size files.

If I could get "1920x1080", I would download for sure !  But as usual, many thanks for sharing the videos !

• Like 1

I would kill for 1080p quality uploads. I registered just to say this.

Me too... they're only 1080i on satellite. :D They are 1920x1080 but like anything on Sky, it's an interlaced signal.

At 2GB+ per episode, it's not going to happen from my machine though I'm afraid... if someone wants to send me some blank Blu Ray discs, I'm more than happy to fill them with the 23GB of original .ts files.

• Like 1
SuRoNeFu 25-501

As usual, thanks for the upload!  :grin

Regarding the former Nambu Line 205 series that went into Indonesia (which is shown in this episode), I've just posted several new informations on this post.

• Like 1
Next Broadcast

Thursday 16:30 - 17:00 22:30 - 23:00

Friday 4:30 - 5:00 10:30 - 11:00

March 11, 2016

Earthquake Safety: What 5 Years has Taught Us

In March 2011, the Great East Japan Earthquake severely damaged the railway infrastructure in the Tohoku area. See some of the advanced safety measures that railway operators have been developing since then, such as the "early earthquake warning system" to automatically stop the Shinkansen, the "seismic hazard simulator for a railway" that assess potential damage, and the support on hand for stranded commuters. Then, join avid rail-fan Miki Murai on the "Steam Locomotive Ginga", a shining symbol of the recovery effort.
Edited by Suica
  • Like 2

Sounds like an interesting show.  Seems to touch on alot of the aspects from a earlier episode.  The Ginga will be good to see.  Was hoping it would feature in a Northern Tohoku Train Cruise episode.

• Like 1