New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

link is to ep10 - autumn delights

That's a Train Cruise Episode. :D

Edit: Dabsan's link is now correct.

Edited by LeeC22
  • Like 3

Just finished watching the Seven Stars of Kyushu episode and I have to say it was one of the best, if not the best! A in-depth review into the Seven-Stars is amazing!

That model of the Seven-Stars was REALLY well done. Wonder who made that spectacular model! All the details including the painting and wordings and even people inside the end observation carriage is amazing...

Good call to run the E655 Nagomi together ~ The colour mixture is almost alike ~  :)

Also, the actress, Saya Ichikawa is REALLY beautiful... It seems she is also kinda a train fan herself!

20140720-100445.jpg

m.jpg

• Like 3

I was interested in the track monitoring gear attached to the train.  It covers most of the busier rural lines.  So make sense to have this train watch the tracks once a week.

Thanks miyakoji for starting this thread.  I found this topic just last week so I am getting into the topic quite late... Nevertheless, I watched the first episode early this week and I really liked it.  

For my case, the information about station and lines is good because my knowledge about these topics is quite basic at this stage.

The BRT system is quite an interesting solution. By the way, I also have an observation about the Advanced Train Administration and Communication System (ATACS), the episode mentioned that ATACS “it is the first of its kind in the world” (min ~13:20). Actually, there are other similar systems in the world like the European Train Control System (ETCS) and the Communications-Based Train Control (CBTC). These systems have successfully been tested since long ago and currently these have been installed in of Europe, America and Oceania (maybe somewhere else but I have not checked it yet). So the idea of “moving block” for train detection has been around for years. I have to admit that I was not aware of ATACS so I checked some info online and then I wanted to talk to an “expert” who knows this stuff. That person was quite busy but he lent me a book about ETCS. The book looks quite hardcore but I will give it a go on this weekend to see if I get a good read or a good sleep…

The final part of the episode was good, having the chance to drive a real train! I could not get the idea of driving a train out of my mind. So, I did the closest thing possible for my case, playing the Railfan (PS3) game…  

All good stuff, I will check the next episode on next week

p.s. I tried to use some of the links to get the videos but these are not working (at least not for my pc). However, the episodes can be also watched in Video Dailymotion (quite ok quality) these info for the ones that are arriving late to this topic like me...
  • Like 1

Railfan 3! You even have the controller to mimic almost the same thing!  :)

I love Densha de go series, favourite being the Densha de go Final... Wished they carried on the line ~

Yes, this is the Densha de go controller (Type 2) for PS2 but it works well with the Railfan game of PS3.

Actually, this is the only train game that works with this controller in PS3 that I am aware of. To put an example, the Taiwan High Speed Rail game for PS3 (Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railfan:_Taiwan_High_Speed_Rail ) does not recognize this controller… a shame but it is like that.

I haven’t played Densha de Go in PS1 or PS2 but I did it in PSP. It was is great game series and I agree that they should’ve continued it.

Hi people. I was trying to catch up the pace of the pack so I watched the episode 2.

Wow! an episode of just Shinkansens. Again, the information is very good to improve my understanding of lines and Shinkansen types. For instance, I didn’t know that there are mini Shinkansens…

Sometimes I check some info about WWII in my spare time. So, something that came to my mind, as soon the episode started, is that the Designer of the Zero Series was also the Designer of the Kamikazes…  I think that his name is Tadanao Miki. After belonging to the Navy, he moved to JNR… and after designing the Zero series, he resigned. During the testing of the Zero series, he just followed the news from home... I do not remember very well, it was sometime like that. I tried but I could not find the documentary again.

Shinkansen technology is always interesting although it would have been good to mention the “booming noise” issue. Some info about this particular can be watched in this documentary link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cm_z5RFtR4  (min~30:10). I understand that the “booming noise” is managed in other countries by changing the shape of the entry/exit of tunnels, not just the shape of the train nose. For instance, the KTX tunnels Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fkE93gRx7c  (min ~12:45).

As I write, I am checking some info and I found that some “long entry/exit” shaped tunnels are also sold in N scale (link: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10279313 ). So, I guess that this technology is also applied in Japan although these details are not shown in this episode, see the tunnel at min 8:34min of Ep2.

The touristic information is kind of good. The low point is that as visiting Japan is not part of my short or medium term plans, this info is just referential. Finally, the sleeping car train services… watching the Twilight Express in its last run is always special.

Actually japan has been a leader in the entry/exit tunnel noise due to the number of tunnels and level of HSR. The whole evolution of the duckbill noses is for helping abate the noise. I expect they may tackle that in a show with more time.

Catenary/pantograph noise is also an increasing issue with speed.

Jeff

• Like 1

The touristic information is kind of good. The low point is that as visiting Japan is not part of my short or medium term plans, this info is just referential.

Make it part of you closer plans.  You will not regret it.

I think so, it must be good. I already have some basic ideas about what to do/visit once there.

Actually, this year I have planned to travel to S. Korea for 7-9 days. I could squeeze my schedule to fit some days in Japan but I think I will not enjoy rushing between countries.

So no plans for the moment but I know that will make the trip eventually.

Actually japan has been a leader in the entry/exit tunnel noise due to the number of tunnels and level of HSR. The whole evolution of the duckbill noses is for helping abate the noise. I expect they may tackle that in a show with more time.

Catenary/pantograph noise is also an increasing issue with speed.

Jeff

Thank you for the clarification. I watched some documentaries (and this episode 2 of JRJ) but I just did not notice that the tunnel entry/exit shape solution was mentioned in either of them. Nevertheless, it makes sense that Japan has been researching/leading about it.

I think that video is the same that the one I linked in post #117 but thank you for helping.

Also, I watched the third episode and it was a really surprise. I would like to mention a couple of things so I will try to add these comments on the following days. Cheers.

Edited by nxcale

Hi people. I wanted to mention that episode 3 of JRJ was a surprise and I truly enjoyed it.

From my point of view this episode shows a good example (or business case) of Design Thinking applied to the Railway Industry. There is plenty of info in internet about this particular process (i.e. Design Thinking) which has being embraced by companies in other sectors since some years ago (maybe +10).

Notice how the Isumi line’s president focuses on shifting the way of thinking (of the business) from passenger to customer. So, this particular line aims to create “experiences” rather that moving people from point A to B. Also notice when the customer profile is mentioned and how this is aligned with the strategy of buying a Kiha 32, for instance

A surprise of episode but pure gold…

Edited by nxcale
Next Broadcast
Friday 1:30 - 2:007:30 - 8:0013:30 - 14:0019:30 - 20:00
February 12, 2016
Second Chances for Used Trains in Southeast Asia

Used Japanese trains are being given a new lease of life in Southeast Asia. Demand for Japanese trains is high because they are air-conditioned, and are always well maintained. We follow a Series 205 on its way to its new home in Indonesia, and see how Japanese engineers are sharing their knowledge as they teach track maintenance in Myanmar. Then, we travel to Yubari City in Hokkaido, where a citizens group is striving to preserve the local railway heritage and a closed steam locomotive museum.
tv_episode_201601280600_01_large.jpg

tv_episode_201601280600_01_min.jpgtv_episode_201601280600_02_min.jpgtv_episode_201601280600_03_min.jpgtv_episode_201601280600_04_min.jpg
Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1