New NHK World show: Japan Railway Journal

miyakoji

I just set this up to record, but it's not shown as a series on my DVR.  An error by my provider?

I just set this up to record, but it's not shown as a series on my DVR.  An error by my provider?

I doubt it, I noticed that NHK's schedule provided through the digital TV broadcast often says "scheduled programming" or something like that.  Occasionally it has actual program titles, but not often.

I just refer to NHK's own schedule: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/tv/schedule/

Edited by miyakoji
  • Like 1

I enjoyed it.  The segments are great.  A how-to-use the railways, a technology of the railways, a "whats happening in the next month" in the railways, and a blast from the past/history lesson segments.

Just watched it. AMAZING!

I liked it!

Now the problem is are we able to watch again next month?

The first chapter is kinda short, the one relating to planning your routes...

I especially liked the 2nd section, BRT system! Really relates to my latest moving bus purchase!

Everyone which they interviewed from JR East were wearing the W7 Hokuriku Shinkansen badge on their jackets, really nice ~

I want an EF63 licence!

• Like 1

The Japan Rail Travel 101 segment was short.  But by the time you have many 5 minutes segments from future monthly episode,  then they will cover what they need.

I'm not sure on the BRT.  While it is a way to bring public transport back quicker and at a cheaper option than rail.  And that is a positive.  It is also death to rails.  Notice in the interviews they were standing on an old platform, and where the tracks used to be is now concreted in to make the road of the bus.

Edited by katoftw

The Japan Rail Travel 101 segment was short.  But by the time you have many 5 minutes segments from future monthly episode,  then they will cover what they need.

I'm not sure on the BRT.  While it is a way to bring public transport back quicker and at a cheaper option than rail.  And that is a positive.  It is also death to rails.  Notice in the interviews they were standing on an old platform, and where the tracks used to be is now concreted in to make the road of the bus.

Indeed... Valid point.

That BRT bus looks amazingly fast in the video... Wonder how fast it was going at, perhaps at the speed of what a train would run at; 100km/h?

Thank you dabsan for sharing! Love these documentaries!

Yeah, it's always good to watch something interesting on NHK World. I will try and record the next show on 10th April.

I think this will be a good series.

:)

Edited by dabsan

Please, if anyone sees scheduling info for future episodes post it here. U-Verse insists that this was not a series so I can't set it up for series DVRing.

In many places in Japan (and other countries probably as well) where it's not viable to run local train services anymore, they are replaced by local buses that run on existing roads. Considering Japan's geography that often means a change from a quick rail service to a slow bus on winding roads through the mountains. In that light, using the way of right of the former railway for a bus lane may not be such a bad thing after all.