Umekoji, early in the morning

SantaFe1970

I will be in Kyoto in May, and would love to visit the Umekoji museum.

Alas, I will be part of a group and our itinerary from 7:30 am will be filled with temples, etc.

But I am usually an early riser, and was wondering if there was the possibility of seeing anything interesting "over the fence" if I walked by the museum grounds early in the morning?

• Like 1

Well, certainly there will be regular operations on the Tokaido Line (aka Kyoto Line at this point) as well as the San'in Line from probably before 6AM.  I think it'll be hard to say about movements or activity in Umekoji yard, if there's any schedule for this I think it would be insider info.

Thanks, miyakoji. Does anyone else know if the heritage steam locos are visible from off property? Sometimes, when a museum is closed there is nothing to see. Other times, you can at least look over the fence -- or even inspect a plinthed loco up close, etc. Anyone know re the Umekoji museum?

It doesn't look like there's anything on display outside, I'm not sure what would be visible from outside the property.  I've just noticed that Google has streetview available inside the grounds, based on some shadows it looks like they rode a bicycle around in there.

The Next Station Is...

Having been twice (once when it was closed and once when it was open) I can confirm that there's nothing visible that's worth seeing, other than stray cats.

bikkuri bahn

I'd walk to Kyoto Station, get a platform ticket, and watch trains for a half hour or so.  If you're lucky you may even see some freight trains, though I don't know if they are scheduled to run through at that time just at the beginning of the morning rush.

When I went there, they kept the little excursion train powered by the D51 parked outside - do they not do that anymore?

From memory there is a couple of through lines without platforms tucked between platform 3 and 4 lines that the freight travels through.

I found going up the west end of the platforms (Osaka end) was good viewing.  Found a few other Japanese railfans up there also.  All I could do was say, "konnichiwa," lift the camera up and wave it and we both bowed and the smiles exchanged meant we both understood the other like trians.

When I went there, they kept the little excursion train powered by the D51 parked outside - do they not do that anymore?

In the middle of the day normally, as that is when it normally runs.

Edited by katoftw

I'd walk to Kyoto Station, get a platform ticket, and watch trains for a half hour or so.  If you're lucky you may even see some freight trains, though I don't know if they are scheduled to run through at that time just at the beginning of the morning rush.

SantaFe, if you're a really early riser, I think I'd go with Bikkuri's suggestion.

I was going to post before about walking around Umekoji regardless of the time of day, after all there's a park there, but then I figured it would take too long to get there.

Anyway, if the guided tour starts at 7:30, what time are you planning on eating breakfast?  Is that part organized or are you on your own?  If you're going to be awake at say 5:30, and breakfast isn't until 6:30 or 6:45, and if the walk to Kyoto Station will only take a few minutes, I'd go for the platform ticket.  It only costs 140 yen.

SantaFe1970

Thanks for all the ideas. I will be staying at the Nishi Honganji temple guest house, so 10-15 minutes from Kyoto Station. That's why I was thinking Umekoji might be a reasonable option. But if its mostly closed up... And though I'm traveling with a group -- and we have an itinerary -- I'm the co-leader (with a Japanese colleague), so there's no worries there. 

"Platform ticket" -- i haven't heard that phrase in years (England). I presume that if I have a JR railpass that will work. I wonder: if I use an IC card to get through a barrier, and then exit the same, is there any charge? (If so, I'd presume its minimal.) 

In the middle of the day normally, as that is when it normally runs.

The time stamp on my earliest photo of it is 9:36AM, which is when I got there - when do they bring it out?

The loco operating that day would be probably being lit up and raising steam quite early, you don't just switch a steam loco on, it takes several hours.  Whether it would be visible from outside the museum though I don't know.