Tomytec Railway Collection - General Discussion

katoftw

These cars were originally used as baggage or baggage parcel cars, but later many of them got converted into maintenance tractors used for rolling stock moves and mow. Many of them were originally KuMoHa (passenger) cars that became surplus.

The KuMo part means cab motor, the YuNi part means baggage parcel, while the tractor variant is the KuMoYa. (KuMoHa means cab motor 2nd, while KuMoRo means cab motor 1st, KuHa is a cab trailer 2nd, SaHa means trailer 2nd and so on)

One important thing though. They were almost always used on the head or tail end of emus to allow passengers to walk through the train.

• Like 1
Gordon Werner

These cars were originally used as baggage or baggage parcel cars, but later many of them got converted into maintenance tractors used for rolling stock moves and mow. Many of them were originally KuMoHa (passenger) cars that became surplus.

The KuMo part means cab motor, the YuNi part means baggage parcel, while the tractor variant is the KuMoYa. (KuMoHa means cab motor 2nd, while KuMoRo means cab motor 1st, KuHa is a cab trailer 2nd, SaHa means trailer 2nd and so on)

One important thing though. They were almost always used on the head or tail end of emus to allow passengers to walk through the train.

thx ... I thought that was the case ... but wasn't 100% ... 

serotta1972

One important thing though. They were almost always used on the head or tail end of emus to allow passengers to walk through the train

Thanks kvp for the great info about the 143.  Just in case if you were wondering about the placement of the 143 in the case - I did put it at the bottom but the cars with pantos had their specific slots so I couldn't just move the other cars up so I just put it in the middle which was the empty slot.  

Gordon Werner

Here is a helpful reference I found for figuring out what a car's designation means.  In this case it appears that it KuMoYuNi means Cab-Motorized-Mail-Luggage and 143 means Direct current-Working train-type 3.  A little late but I hope this helps!

http://sunny-life.net/train_symbol/trainsymbol.htm#Symbols of the Japanese Trains

always useful ... especially when coming across something "new"

All I know about that particular 143 is that it was described as "Minobu line colour". I bought it as I liked it, and the Shonan 143 had already sold out (unsurprisingly as that seems to be the most popular livery in Japanese N).

Kato did make a 115 series in the same colours also for the Minobu, unfortunately I missed my chance to get one before the outbreak of mass stupidity trashed the exchange rate. It has a slightly odd formation with KuMoHa-MoHa-KuHa-KuHa, im other words a driving trailer in the middle of the train being used as a conventional coach. It would be easy to run with the KuMoYuNi though as said extra KuHa has a standard coupler mount on the cab end in place of a dummy.

The shonan livery could the most popular as these baggage/parcel units ran in either shonan or yokosuka liveries for a long time on most routes during the JNR era.

Another 'famous' color is the plain blue for the kumoya rolling stock tractors that in the past could be seen with all kinds of out of service rolling stock around Tokyo, usually in pairs with the trainset sandwitched between them.

Hobbysearch seem to have leaked the contents of Collection 24, see here:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10426392

Edit, AmiAmi also have an image and a list of what will be in the series. Like the look of the 123 Series (would compliment the single car units from Vol 20) and the 113-3800.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=RAIL-22453

Edited by Welshbloke

I wonder what the advantage is of these over the Modemo model.

Cheap, available and easy to repaint and also good for modding. They will probably run on R103, unlike the modemo motors.

But the disadvantages are a plently too over the Modemo models:

1) Not ready to run, requires an additional motor which requires more cost over the ready to run Modemo

2) No directional head and tail lights...

3) Not ready for interior lightings (unless modifications are done)

4) Sort of a plastic-ty look, somehow ready-to-run models look much firmer and realistic over the plastic tomytec ones 

But of course price is a lot cheaper than Modemo...  I've grabbed both Toden cause they look nice and will run with my current Toden 8800 series...

• Like 1

I wouldn't say "disadvantages."  They have their pros and cons.  And each appeal to a certain market.

I'm personally am not a fan "The Railway Collection" due to the reasons Sammy has explained.  But other buyers are completely happy with those issues to get a full product at 20-30% cheaper.  Sometimes it is the only way to get the product anyway.

• Like 2

I wouldn't say "disadvantages."  They have their pros and cons.  And each appeal to a certain market.

Congrats - you're the new voice of moderation!

Gordon Werner

But the disadvantages are a plently too over the Modemo models:

1) Not ready to run, requires an additional motor which requires more cost over the ready to run Modemo

2) No directional head and tail lights...

3) Not ready for interior lightings (unless modifications are done)

4) Sort of a plastic-ty look, somehow ready-to-run models look much firmer and realistic over the plastic tomytec ones 

But of course price is a lot cheaper than Modemo...  I've grabbed both Toden cause they look nice and will run with my current Toden 8800 series...

lol ... the Modemo 7000 series Toden trams don't have working lights either ... that didn't happen until the 9000s were produced (the retro-looking ones)

I am surprised however that they are launching with the old 7000 series and not the updated 7700 series ones (modified 7000 body w/8800 or 8900 below the floor)

maybe we'll luck out and they'll do both.

(also surprised Modemo hasn't released the 8900 series as it shares much with the 8800 series (w/modified shell))

lol ... the Modemo 7000 series Toden trams don't have working lights either ... that didn't happen until the 9000s were produced (the retro-looking ones)

I am surprised however that they are launching with the old 7000 series and not the updated 7700 series ones (modified 7000 body w/8800 or 8900 below the floor)

maybe we'll luck out and they'll do both.

(also surprised Modemo hasn't released the 8900 series as it shares much with the 8800 series (w/modified shell))

Imho the 7000 series bogies and underframe parts are already available for the motor, so they only had to make a 7000 shell. This also allows a longer timespan for the model, allowing two paint schemes and the cover of the JNR era, which is very popular with the railway collection fans.

Edited by kvp
  • Densha changed the title to Tomytec Railway Collection - General Discussion
  • Densha featured and unfeatured this topic

A Tomy Tec Railway Collection Seibu 3000 Koupen-chan 3+5 car set caught my attention and I ordered without realizing these are packaged as un-powered units: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10708746

Clearly they can be powered, and I see now that HobbyLink JP notes the following as optional parts: 

Motor and chassis: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10311054

Metal wheels, weights and upgraded couplers: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10308175

What experience do others have with this upgrade/swap-out? Anything else I should be ordering in anticipation of this upgrade?

Can you suggest an appropriate case for these eight cars?

Daniel

I‘d get some pantographs, too. HS usually lists everything you need to make it run-able. ISM-Works sells front and taillight sets, too.

Any 8 car case will do I guess 🙂

11 hours ago, Tony Galiani said:

These are pretty straightforward to do.  It is just a matter of getting the right power unit and choosing the correct parts to install (as sometimes there are extra bits there).  This link has a good explanation of the process:  http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/tomytec/index.htm

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

Goodness, an 11-page thread already on the topic (of course!). Thank you all for comments and links; a very useful orientation and I will spend time with the full thread. I'l hold off ordering the upgrades until notice that some pre-orders are in and then have a go!

Daniel

I've got a strange problem. Got my first couple of trm04 chassis, one of which I had to reassemble (long story) and now it runs in the opposite direction to anything else I put on the same track. I can't see how I've changed the polarity on it, everything looks like it only fits one way. Does anyone know? 

Edit. Ive realised There are a few magnets as part of the chassis, there's one which is shaped like a bridge at the rear end of the motor, I'll see if this can be flipped tomorrow. The others can't change positions.

Edited by Morcs