Tomytec Railway Collection - General Discussion

katoftw

It is impossible to install the incorrect ends if you read the side of the box.  The only people that could install the incorrect ends are illiterates.

Edited by katoftw

Does anyone know if the Class letters associated with Tomytec power chassis have any consistent meaning, or are they just their way to differentiate between chassis of the same length?  These are often Class A, B, and C, or I have seen Class A2.  I'm curious just what the variations might be that require these Class letters. 

In this case I was just looking for a "generic" chassis to power another product, and selected solely by length.

My sense is that Tomytec introduces a new chassis when there is not already one suitable for a new engine / tram model they are introducing, and they would not re-run the chassis unless they also re-run the model it was designed for.

The classes are the same as for the various houses. Generally they indicate the same basic structure with some variation. For the various chassis types this usually means a different axle distance bogie or a different bogie distance frame. Numbers after the letters indicate a rerelease with some modification, like one of their diesel units had more ballast weight in the rerelease, but this meant some of the old underfloor decorative elements could not fit without modifications. So the naming scheme is: <general type>-<serial number><variant id>[<rerelease count>]

ps: Since tomytec supports a few 3rd party kits with their motors, sometimes they rerelease a chassis if the demand is high enough (if there is a market for it). This mostly means reruns of the variable size bogie tram chassis as they are the only mass supplier of this type on the whole N market. (the same is true for their track vacuuming car in that segment)

I don't agree with the above.  The difference between a TM-08 and TM-08R is the later has been renewed.  The number after the wheel spacing letter does not represent a updated product.

For example the TM-24 was released for the first time with a B2 attached to it.  The 2 relates to the bogie in some way.

The A · B · C · D of brand name represents the axle spacing of the bogie. (A: 14mm, B: 16mm, C: 12mm, D: 15.4mm)

For the various chassis types this usually means a different axle distance bogie or a different bogie distance frame.

It would seem that the bogie distance is handled by the basic product designation, and by the specification of the prototype distance in meters.

One of the things I don't understand is why they sometimes have multiple TM- numbers for chassis with the same proto length.

katoftw suggests that the Class letter relates to the wheelbase within the bogie, and I don't know what else would change within the same frame length, requiring a new designation..

It seems somewhat unfortunate that they didn't adopt a system of naming the product for the length, i.e. TM-20 for a 20 meter prototype.

I can only guess that they started at TM-1 for the first chassis they released, and have just been incrementing ever since as they brought out a new chassis.

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/diocolle/lineup/tetsudou/unit-01.html#tm12r

Above is the link to the tomytec page.  Each motor unit shows the specs.  Below is for a TM-20 (15M C):-

軸距約15.4mm/台車間距離約90mm/車輪径5.6mm

distance between axles / distance between center of bogies / wheel diameters

---

鉄道コレクションNゲージ動力ユニットTM-20<15m級C>   tm_20.jpg

logo_supermini.gifスーパーミニカーブレール対応品

【仕様】
軸距約12mm 台車間距離約60mm 車輪径5.6mm
【付属内容】
台車枠3種 FS503(グレー)/FU34(グレー)/ブリル27E(グレー) 各1両分付属
床下スペーサーランナー 1枚
アーノルドカプラーユニット 2個
カプラースペーサー 2枚
ウェイト1個
【価格】3,400円(税抜)

I don't suggest anything.  Tomytec suggested it on their packaging and website:-

tm-20_b.jpg

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 2

Has anyone got a abundance of random spare parts from their collections?  I'm not referring the the crappy rapidos that come out of the box and most likely throw away.

I have probably 10ish packs of the good rapidos you find in the trailer or motor boxes in black colour.  The Otsu and Kumamoto trains all needed grey couplers.  Only the one Saga Kiha-125s needed black couplers.  All the motor units come with black couples.  Hence my abundance of black couplers.

Edited by katoftw

Yep, I have a small scrap box full of spare sideframes, the floors/bogies/interiors from vehicles which have been motorised, leftover end spacers, etc.

Yes a few boxes of little baggies of all sorts of spares here from 20+ motor units... One of those odd things you just can't toss, but I'll doubt if I use much of any of them in the future! But Murphy says if you toss them the following week you will need one of the bits!

Perhaps we should have a contest for the most creative use of them!

Jeff

I might well do something with the plastic wheelsets. Maybe glue a bit of plastic tube over the pinpoints (as the real thing has plain axles running in roller bearings), paint them, and have them in a corner of a depot.

The plastic wheels are gonna work their way onto a layout sometime in my household.  A big lineup or wheels in an old depot area. Or something similar.

All the generic parts have been placed into a multi-section container.  And the unit specific parts like underbodies and bogies have stayed in the original boxes of the units.

I found found I was getting a larger collection of black couplers.  I'll never need to buy a TT-03R box ever. haha

Edited by katoftw

attachicon.gifPB080265.JPGattachicon.gifPB080266.JPG

Played with my Romancing Saga Kiha 125s today.  In regards to the shirt versus coupler issue.  I though I'd go the MicroAce route route and cut the shirt up so only the outer section of the skirt would be there.  Then glue it into place.  But the coupler arms from the bogies will will actually contact the bottom lower horizontal bar of the skirt.

So for now the Kiha 125s will have to run without the inner skirts.  The metal attachment that allows the usage of 0336/0336 Tomix couplers will be the next avenue of investigation.

So this part has been sourced and is in the post.

10080421a.jpg

10080421a2.jpg

10080421b.jpg

10080421b2.jpg

It is on the Sal boat from China.  So hopefully I can post up the results soon.  If successful,  My Otsu fleet will get the works done on them.

• Like 1

Come to think of it, the couplers included with the Tomytec units are somewhat baffling.

What on earth are they for? They're too long for a start, so even if you have them as static models they're held a ridiculous distance apart.

Slightly surprised they didn't tool a simple one-piece moulding representing a knuckle or tightlock coupler for the inner ends, it would look better than these things (which don't even have the excuse of being useful - you get functional Rapidos when you buy the powered chassis or TT packs).

the train collection couplers are functional, but due to the lack of a metal spring, they have to be longer to be able to go through curves, so they are a very very cheap, but working solution

Edited by cteno4

So this part has been sourced and is in the post.

10080421a.jpg

10080421a2.jpg

10080421b.jpg

10080421b2.jpg

It is on the Sal boat from China.  So hopefully I can post up the results soon.  If successful,  My Otsu fleet will get the works done on them.

And F-A-I-L. :(

Too skinny for the Kiha125s and too wide for the Otsu 600s/700s.

Gordon Werner

Eh? I'm not logged in and they're showing?

I like that little brake van (Tobu Railway?), reminds me of the SBB's "Sputnik" vans. The steeplecab electric loco with a couple of wagons looks good too - I realise none of these are new tooling, but by the time I knew about Tomytec the previous runs had completely sold out!

serotta1972

My first foray into the Tomytec world and probably not my last.  I've been looking for this particular car since I saw yours running around Mr. Welshbloke.  

post-2776-0-25984500-1468375997_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-49828600-1468376004_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-19333200-1468376011_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-95132400-1468376017_thumb.jpgpost-2776-0-92203200-1468376028_thumb.jpg

I was able to find it a new home in the Tomix Series 475 Hokuriku Line, Old Color Set.

I'm not really sure if these ran together but they sure look good together.  

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 2
Gordon Werner

My first foray into the Tomytec world and probably not my last.  I've been looking for this particular car since I saw yours running around Mr. Welshbloke.  

attachicon.gifIMG_2772.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2778.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2779.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2780.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2781.JPG

I was able to find it a new home in the Tomix Series 475 Hokuriku Line, Old Color Set.

I'm not really sure if these ran together but they sure look good together.  

the non standard one ... is that some sort of maintenance vehicle the railway used? or was it used like RPOs were in the US (Railway Post Office)

serotta1972

It's a KuMoYuNi 143, that's about all I know.  I'm sure someone will chime in and provide more information. Sorry!