Tomytec Railway Collection - General Discussion

katoftw

The TT-03R parts for my 105 and 119 Series units arrived today. Kitted the KuHa 105 out (as it's the only item I have in hand they fit). Looks promising - the couplers bring the two coaches closer together, and it's ballasted to a similar weight to my other EMU trailers.

I'm considering a KuMoYuNi 143-1 if Modeltrainplus has any left next month. Only thing is that I'll want to fit Kato tightlock couplers and run it with my other similar units. Has anyone managed to mount the skirts from one of these units on the bogies, rather than the body? I can't find anyone selling the Kato body mounted couplers (as on the KuMoNi 83) as spares, so the skirts will have to move instead.

Undecided whether it'll be powered or dummy, that depends entirely on how the TM-14 I have on order along with a KuMoHa 123-1 runs in relation to my Kato stock. If the speeds are fairly closely matched then I'll probably add a motor. Yes, I do realise that these are the same unit at different points in its life, but it really doesn't bother me!

Double post, but I think I've just found something which may be of great interest to other Tomytec operators...

I've just been trying to persuade a couple of TM-18 chassis to run sweetly at low speed, as my usual technique of leaving them to cruise around for a couple of hours in each direction didn't seem to help. While inspecting the bogies (looking for moulding flash or anything not quite clipped in) I noticed that the pickups were bent inwards.

They'd presumably do this at the factory to make the chassis run on test, but it causes binding as it's pressing hard on the axle ends. I straightened them and the running improved dramatically. There's no problem with the pickups wobbling and losing contact as the sideframes will steady them once fitted, and the wheels won't fall out as the keeper plate holds them in.

• Like 2

So I've run into a little bit of a minor issue.  I was pimping out the Romancing Saga 2 car Kiha 125 and noticed the bogies from my original 1 car Kiha 125 have different bogies.  NP-120 and NP-126.  Both have arrived out of the box with the different bogies.

I've tried googling images but cannot see the bogies clearly enough to make a clear decision.  Anyone got some technical info about the Kiha 125s and which bogies they use? Thanks.

You might want to see the photos of my KuMoYuNi 143-1 in the "What did you order..." thread, I found a solution for the skirts and working couplers which doesn't look at all bad to me (certainly better than not having skirts at all).

I cut the body mount clips off, then filed a notch in the centre of the coupler gap which made a good close fit around the coupler mounting bracket, then used a small amount of gel superglue to hold it. Added a Kato tightlock coupler to each end, and it runs quite happily as a trailer between another luggage/post van and an EMU set.

Still tinkering with Tomytec chassis, but think I'm getting the measure of them now. They'll run as well as Kato at low speed after adjusting the pickups and adding a few drops of oil on bearings/gearing. Also taken to painting those shiny metal ballast weights matte black, which disguises them better.

Does anyone know what future Tomytec "blind box" collections will contain? I've grabbed one of all the remaining items from Vol. 20 that I liked the look of now, and by the looks of it you need to move fast if you want specific models from a given batch. All the KuMoYas, the KuMoHa 123-5 and KuMoYuNi 147-1 had sold out by the time I realised they existed.

Edited by Welshbloke

Does anyone know what future Tomytec "blind box" collections will contain? 

They are always announced on the Tomix website with a list of trains that are in the set. Hobby Search also post images for the blind pack of 20 boxes and usually they can be preordered.

Gordon Werner

They are always announced on the Tomix website with a list of trains that are in the set. Hobby Search also post images for the blind pack of 20 boxes and usually they can be preordered.

I noticed the other day that the bookshelf containers for the TomyTec Railway Collection series all come with an extra undecorated car as a bonus

e.g. from series 17

10205603a.jpg

other examples: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=104&cat=&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=tomytec+case&spage=1&ItemSeries=Railway+Collection

Edited by Gordon Werner

You might want to see the photos of my KuMoYuNi 143-1 in the "What did you order..." thread, I found a solution for the skirts and working couplers which doesn't look at all bad to me (certainly better than not having skirts at all).

I cut the body mount clips off, then filed a notch in the centre of the coupler gap which made a good close fit around the coupler mounting bracket, then used a small amount of gel superglue to hold it. Added a Kato tightlock coupler to each end, and it runs quite happily as a trailer between another luggage/post van and an EMU set.

It is currently running without skirts.  Biggest problem is it is a short chassis and any tight-lock coupler added contacts the upper gears on the bogies.  Which is why the white metal kit was created.  But seems it wasn't popular as only very few Tomytec models have the issue.

Gordon Werner

Does anyone know what future Tomytec "blind box" collections will contain? I've grabbed one of all the remaining items from Vol. 20 that I liked the look of now, and by the looks of it you need to move fast if you want specific models from a given batch. All the KuMoYas, the KuMoHa 123-5 and KuMoYuNi 147-1 had sold out by the time I realised they existed.

TomyTec Railway Collection models are listed here: http://www.tomytec.co.jp/diocolle/index.html the railway collection is the top, left oval

Naarachi-san had pulled apart a whole Vol.20 collection:-

http://www.modeltrainplus.net/collections/n-scale-tomytec-new

Yup, that's how I got the units I have from that volume. Unfortunately he'd sold out of the other three I'd have been interested in before I even realised that the series existed. Oh well, Kato seem to be interested in KuMoNis and related stock at the moment, the KuMoYa 145 might eventually be on their list with any luck. I know others have made them but they seem to sell out quickly, and I'm pretty much limited to what I can find via Amazon UK Marketplace or Ebay. I want one, but not badly enough to pay about the same for a single vehicle as a six-car 165 Series set costs!

Yep, like I said, about the same price as the six car 165 Series!

Just opened KuMoHa 123-3 and 123-45, have a question about 123-3 though. The roof details for the non-pantograph end don't make sense. There's one big moulded drill guide underneath when there should be two smaller ones for the square thing (which I think is an aerial?). The pantograph end has the arrangement shown in the instructions. Anyone else have this model and made sense of it?

Where can you get a 6 car set new for 12,000 yen for? haha

The instructions should be on the box for which drill holes you use for the Tomytecs.  Sometimes a sheet is included.

Edited by katoftw

Well, maybe not quite a six but it'd certainly be more than a three car 165 or 455/457 Series pack. You can get a Green Liner 455 here for £38 at the moment from a Japanese seller via Amazon Marketplace, or about £65 for the JNR liveried 165 or 457 from a UK seller. I'd be amazed if one of those sets from Hobbysearch was under £70-£80 by the time it arrived here, more if it got stung for VAT on entry.

That's what I mean, the instructions and the roof part don't match up. I've added the details to several Tomytec units now and have no problem with things like drill sizes, but the drill guides under the roof on the non-pantograph end don't match those on the pantograph end or indeed the instructions. Instead of one at the side (for the small round aerial which sticks up slightly) and two closer to the centreline (for the flat plate with two pegs underneath and one aerial on top) I have the side one and one larger one slightly offset from the centre. I should be able to mark and drill by making a template from the end which is right, but it's a weird fault.

I wish I'd known before I glued all the parts onto 123-45, as I could have lined the two roof mouldings up and used it to mark the drill positions on the 123-3 roof.

Edited by Welshbloke

You pay for what you get I guess.  And everyone is happy with different results.  12,000 yen for Microace/Greenmax 2 car sets.  7,400 for Tomytec completed. 2,500 for model, 3,000 for motor, 400 for 1/2x trailer parts, 500 for 2x pantographs, 1,000 for 4x tight lock couplers, totals 7,400 yen.  But no lights, wobbling/loose shells and trailer bogies and detailing no where near as good.

edit correction//  Forgot we were talking about MicroAce/Greenmax here.  You do get tight lock couplers with their offerings.  So they can be excluded from the from the cost comparisons.

And as a bot of a side note.  The Tomytec motor unit is probably better than the Greenmax unit.  MicroAce/Kato/Tomytec are the same performance and noise wise.

Edited by katoftw

The tomytec units also come handy when the 'towed' sets have motors, so you can just put the unpowered tractors on the ends and run them. Also works with the baggage/parcel units.

I've now sorted it, after looking at some prototype photos to confirm that it was supposed to be symmetrical and then using a paper template to plot the holes onto the other end.

I have yet to encounter any problems with wobbly shells or loose trailer bogies on Tomytecs. They're also easier to swap to Kato Tightlocks as you can just clip the type intended to fit a Rapido slot into the standard mountings. My KuMoYuNi 143-1 looks great with Kato baggage/parcel units, I don't know if it ever roamed from the Minobu Line but it clicks along happily between an eight car 165 Series set and a dummy KuMoNi 83. Its detailing and paintwork don't embarrass it in such company.

The only problems I've had are rattling/buzzing from the driveshafts (fixed by dipping each end in grease and then reassembling, not all units suffer so if yours doesn't I wouldn't worry), and some initial poor running before I realised what they evidently do to the pickups at the factory. Fix that (5mins with smooth-jawed pliers after dismantling the bogie) and they run perfectly acceptably. Oh, and the Tomix pantographs needing to be stripped down and tweaked so they'll stand up at a sensible height, rather than barely rising.

I might do a write-up when I give my next Tomytec chassis the treatment, unless everyone is already conversant with how to fine-tune these things? It'll be a TM-14 to go under 123-45, but the techniques should work on anything of a similar arrangement.

That wobbly shell problem happens when someone forgets to add the right end spacers to the motors as the locking pins are on those.

Ahh

I've been diligently comparing my powered chassis to the dummy ones, to work out which end spacers I need.

Also necessary if your unit has skirts or dummy couplers on the ends, as otherwise you have nothing to clip them to! I've yet to fit tightlocks to everything as aside from the KuMoYuNi they don't tend to mix much with my Kato fleet, so the Rapidos are staying between cars to save money.