Tomytec Railway Collection - General Discussion

katoftw

HantuBlauLOL

An Australian free magazine named "N Scale Modeller" has an article about making your own train case, but I forgot which edition. Google it.

The piece of foam you take out of what?

MicroAce cases don't have inserts. Tomytec, Tomix and Casco cases have inserts. I don't know about Kato cases, since I don't own any Kato trains (at least not in an A4-sized case with spare space).

Ohh those separate pieces of foam that you can take out as shown in the pics of the Casco cases?

I don't own any redundant cases or foam pieces anyway so I guess it's the best to just buy one. You need to start somewhere.

Ohh those separate pieces of foam that you can take out as shown in the pics of the Casco cases?

I don't own any redundant cases or foam pieces anyway so I guess it's the best to just buy one. You need to start somewhere.

Well, I've bought a Railway Collection 17 case (since it came with an unpainted train, which I liked) and cut up the inside to fit in more trains than originally intended: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/7687-tonis-model-train-adventures/?p=112025 This way, I'd only need two cases for an entire fleet. Even with this effort, I can save more space and add another car if I had replaced the original pantographs with foldable ones!

I've also seen this happen with MicroAce cases where people managed to cram in 10 or 12 cars with just cutting up the stiff blue foam.

Please allow me to share what I did for my Kato E257 Azusa/ Kaiji:

Having the full consist for 7 car basic in a normal book case and 4 car add-on in a Kato only small book case, I wanted all of them to be together in a single book case so that I can bring them along easily. I bought the Casco urethane for 12 cars and replaced the original Kato 7-car urethane for the Casco 12-car one.  

Results are good! Although one of the gaps I had to cut a small groove (see finger) for the coupler of the 9th car. The rest fit in pretty nicely!

And I had a lot of spare urethane from the gaps which I removed them for the carriages. Cool! Good idea to keep your trains together!

post-819-0-27092500-1426941985_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-00520900-1426941991_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-21190000-1426941997_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-75198600-1426942002_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

MicroAce cases don't have inserts. Tomytec, Tomix and Casco cases have inserts. I don't know about Kato cases, since I don't own any Kato trains (at least not in an A4-sized case with spare space).

Kato does also.  MicroAce is the only one I have come across with model specific cases.

Edited by katoftw

I found something interesting in regards to the Kumamoto EFwing bogies discussion ealrier..

attachicon.gif10284000a2.jpgattachicon.gif10250617p.jpg

The bogies included with the motor unit are not the 3 bogies that come with the Konan Tetsudo cars.

So I guess the car set has the correct bogie outers/covers included like the above set.  Hopefully a extra set for spares.

But this Konan Tetsudo with it's recycled cars from other railways has me interested.  Like like Kumamoto Electric buying up old stock and reusing it, this Konan Railway does the same.  But that is another convo for another time in another thread.

Just received My Kumamoto Type 200.  The 3 bogie covers supplied with the motor do not match the 200.  Will have to use the provided with the train.

I guess the EFwing Kumamoto train will be the same.

I'd like to know for all Tomytec chassis that have an "R" version what the "R"evision is. In some product descriptions they seem to highlight the bogie gearbox area, so perhaps it's a lower-height gearbox. In the pictures in railsquid's first link, I notice that the weights are lower profile and the chassis color is different. It other cases it seem to be a change to larger-diameter wheels to suit a different prototype. But, not reading Japanese, I am totally confused on the the various "R" versions. Perhaps someone who can read the Japanese descriptions about each on the Tomix or Hobby Search websites could help us out here.

Rich K.

Edited by brill27mcb

The R versions are updated versions with better motor units.  The older versions have had cancelled production, and only the stock you see is the stock that can be sold.  Once sold out, they will be gone.

All Tomytecs current motor units are having their prices raised to 3400 yen.  So retailers selling the old motor units for the old prices might be a way to save a few pennies.

Edited by katoftw

All Tomytecs current motor units are having their prices raised to 3400 yen.  So retailers selling the old motor units for the old prices might be a way to save a few pennies.

Where did you get this information from? All the ones I've seen on sale ("R" or non-"R") are retailing for around 2500 yen, except the tram ones which are going for around 3100 yen.

Edited to add: aha, I see the upcoming releases have a higher price.

Edited by railsquid

Question... what do you guys do with the little pieces of plastic display "rail" which come with the trains? Any creative uses?

I have a wonderful creative use for them, I put them in a box full of them. Also do the same pieces from the bandai star trains!

I'm in the same boat, they look like they might have some good use and have a hard time chucking them!

Jeff

Where did you get this information from? All the ones I've seen on sale ("R" or non-"R") are retailing for around 2500 yen, except the tram ones which are going for around 3100 yen.

Edited to add: aha, I see the upcoming releases have a higher price.

The trailer kits (ie TT-04R etc )are going from 860 up to 1000 also.

I was putting together my Kumamoto Electric Railway type 200 today, which it kinda cool as you get a decal sheet for the destination boards if you wish to change them.

But when assembling the trailer car, I was kinda annoyed when the weight sat in it loosely.  Then I realized that the weight for the trailer fits in a recess between the trailer body and the interior piece.

Anyone else come across other train with the same feature?

Edited by katoftw

Pretty much all Tomytec Train collection trains have to be assembled like this. The interior piece holds the weight down, which is in turn held down by the shell.

Oh okay thanks.  I don't have enough models to know from experience.  The Otsu 600s just had a clip to lock the weight into place.  The One Man Yellow Diesel is only 1 car.  And then the Kumamoto 200 as described above.

I just for the first time assembled a Tomytec car into a trailer with the weight, coupler and pantograph but I noticed that the gap between the cars really is much too big. I know it's possible to fit TN couplers in Tomytec trains, but which one do I need? It's for the the Keihan 600 series...

Mine are really close.  Did you add the coupler spacers or discard them?  I discarded them.

Mine are close enough that I'm doubtful they'll navigate a curve smaller than R249/C242 as the sheels will touch.

Edited by katoftw

I just found out about the spacers as well... lol got rid of them. I'll add parts to another car to find out what the distance is, probably not much indeed.

My Kumamoto 200 is really close, about 3-4mm between cars.  It has no spacers added, so I will need to add spacers to my 200.

I just measured the gap on my Otsu 600s, 5-6mm without spacers.

Yeah I just saw it... it's a bit too much space in my opinion, so I think I want to go for TN couplers in the end after all.