Tomytec Railway Collection - General Discussion

katoftw

Any idea other than the usual channels to acquire a single car from these sets?  Do people seperate them and list them on yahoo?  Chasing the YDC-125 from volume 19 or 20.  Forget which.  The volume has some Sanriku cars in it also.

Any idea other than the usual channels to acquire a single car from these sets?  Do people seperate them and list them on yahoo?  Chasing the YDC-125 from volume 19 or 20.  Forget which.  The volume has some Sanriku cars in it also.

I think you're referring to Volume 19, 鉄道コレクション19弾, can I think you're referring to this? 鉄道コレクション 第19弾 キハ125形 未使用品 JR九州 豊肥本線

Typically costing around 2000-2200yen on Yahoo Auctions.

Here's a few on sale at Yahoo Auctions:

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h197859112

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r124037889

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e158328801

http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u75099702

http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u74198988

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f138823037

http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w116971128

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g146143353

http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d163070313

http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d161987880

Alternatively, you can try your luck at single blind boxes: http://www.modeltrainplus.net/collections/n-scale-tomytec-new/products/tomytec-tetsudou-collection-no-19-random-packed

Hoped that helps!

Spot on JR500. Y-DC125 one man operation.  I need it for a Kyudai Line mock up I'm doing.  Thanks for the links.

I didn't know they came in single boxes.  Although paying 3x individual price might be better, as only takes 1 go to get the right one. haha.

Edited by katoftw

Spot on JR500. Y-DC125 one man operation.  I need it for a Kyudai Line mock up I'm doing.  Thanks for the links.

I didn't know they came in single boxes.  Although paying 3x individual price might be better, as only takes 1 go to get the right one. haha.

You know what? I'd go for three boxes, if not more. You never know you might find a double of the one you wanted, or a secret version which can be sold/swapped at a value of around ¥4000. If you want to play it safe, get one from the auctions. Personally, I'm no gambler, but the Tetsudo Collection always gets my jimmies rustled a bit.

I had a quick look and couldn't find the answer.  What motor unit for the Y-DC125?  I'd like to get one before the 500 yen price rise.

edit//  Must look harder, TM-23.

Edited by katoftw

Bid on one at the moment.  Cheaping out as trying to save a few 100 yen here and there.  Not worth it really, but commited myself to 15000+ yen in new Tomytec stuff in the next week or so.

Currently looking at 2100 auction + 500 fee + 200 back fee + 140 shipping (kanto) + 1200 ems shipping to me.

Otherwise I'll just buy-it-now the 2200 or 2300 options, but they have 510 shipping (kanto).  All other fee will be the same.

I cannot imagine this being over 300g including packaging.  But if it is between 301g and 500g, then it will be 1500 yen ems shipping.

edit//  Actually, after reading what I typed, maybe I should gamble, as it has become very expensive for 1 car.  Considering buy 1 random one is 720 yen, that is  4 to 5 of the random ones I can get before shipping.  Maybe I should make a deal with Nariichi-san to open the packets, and when the one comes out I want, I'll pay for all the openned packets.  I'm sure I could get 500 yen for all the openned packets if I sell them on eBay in Australia.

Edited by katoftw

I have a follow up question about Tomytec.  I was to believe that Tomytec kits were cheaper than the other big named stuff.  But you forgoed some detailing and lighting.

So I recently got some 2 car units and needed to buy the motor units, trailer parts and pantographs.  I went out and brought a motor unit for each of the 2 car sets I purchased.  But didn't really think about the ability to swap in and out the motor units.

But it leads me to my question.  Do people feel the Tomytec trains are good value?  Yes they are cheaper, but value for money?

2 car train sets cost 2000-3000 yen.  So let go 2500 for the example.  Motor units cost now 2900, but going up to 3400 next month.  So 2900 for the example.  Trailer kit 850, going up to 1000 next month (but only half used).  500 for pantograghs.

2500 + 2900 + 425 + 500 = 6325 yen.  2 cars for 6325 with less detail and no running lights.  Maybe cheaper if DMU w/o pans etc.

I just brought 4 2 cars sets, and each costing between 5607 and 6307 once completed.

Both Kato and Tomix offer 2 car train sets for 7000-8000, the the detailing is better and has directional lighting.

I'm feeling that while the Tomytec stuff is cheaper, the value for money isn't there.  I'd gladly pay up 20 2000 extra for better detailing and lighting.

Is the only way to get good value for money is to buy only 1 motor unit of each type and share it around your collection?

Edited by katoftw

Good question.

Thanks for the assessment. I did my maths too and discovered I blew quite a load on buying these tomytec railway trains and motorising every single one of them, which I really shouldn't have!

Example I have the Tama Train, Ichigo Train and the Omocha Train. All three are identical models, so I really should have just bought one motor. But I thought of running them together so....

I do think the motors are changeable provided they are of the same chassis lengths; i.e. 20mm, 22mm, 24mm etc. But you lose the point of running them together on your layout.

I agree too anytime I'll go with the 3 big brands for higher detail and directional lighting also ability to interior light them. But some Tomytec models are so exclusive and painted so beautifully they're hard to pass, like the Tama train, Eva Train etc.

End of the day, I think buying the model themselves are good, but needn't the motorisation part for every one of them. They may become more economical and value for money this way.

For those who want a big fleet, but don't require all trains to run, Tomytec's trains are a prime choice. However, they aren't good value for money when you want to go all out on tuning and pimping.

For me, I buy them because they are unique and there are almost no alternatives. I also rarely buy them new, which drops the price quite a fair bit. It also makes me feel less bad when modifying or repainting them.

Ha I see a new business for Toni, "Pimp My Tomytec Train"!

Of course he will get a tv show staring him to go along with it!

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Okay great.  I'm glad I'm not the only one.  And yes Tomytec do have exclusive models you cannot get elsewhere.  Which is why I got my first Tomytec trains ordered.

Ha I see a new business for Toni, "Pimp My Tomytec Train"!

Of course he will get a tv show staring him to go along with it!

Jeff

Will it be showing on NHK anytime soon?

The tomytec train models have been getting nicer and nicer on the details with time here and also just many novel trains not done elsewhere. At a foot or more distance I find them just as attractive as the high grade models. Cost with full pimping is about the regular model cost or less. But you can do it slower with time and also have a few variations on the same theme and switch shells around to run. Something nice and zen like pimping them up as well. Simple and fun. Easy to add people to them and lighting as well if you want, some of them have the slots for the truck pickups in their floor pieces. It's nice having something not totally RTR, but not a scratch project either!

Cheers,

Jeff

2,160 Tomytec Kumamoto Electric Rail Type 200 2 Car

2,610 Tomytec TM-05R Power Unit

387 Tomytec TT-04R Trailer Converstion Parts 2pk (1/2 pack)

450 Tomix PT4811N Pantographs 2pk

TOTAL= 5,607

2,080 Tomytec Keihan Type 600 2 Car

2,520 Tomytec TM-20 Power Unit

450 Tomix PG16 Pantographs 2pk

TOTAL= 5,437

2,870 Tomytec Keihan Type 600 Tetsudou Musume Wrapped 2 Car

TOTAL= 6,227

2,880 Tomytec Keihan Type 600 K-On Wrapped 2 Car

387 Tomytec TT-04R Trailer Converstion Parts 2pk (1/2 pack)

TOTAL= 6,237

2,800 Tomytec Kiha125 Yellow One Man Train

2,610 Tomytec TM-23 Power Unit

TOTAL=  5,410

This is a cost breakdown of what I originally ordered.  If you ignore the Y-DC125 as it was brought off Yahoo and the costings aren't retail/shop/manufacturer related.  Since I overpaid for that one, it is lucky a 1 car unit with not trailer or pantographs to add on.

I got all the others 10-15% off and before the price increase.  Dunno about paying another 500 yen for motor units and 150 yen for trailer kits.  The costs when adding another 517 yen to the totals above, now you are nearing 7,000.

The costs have quite a large variance depending on the train shells you buy.  While I don't have any, I have seen 2 car shells as low as 1,800, and some 2 car trains in excess of 3,000, and that includes a 10% discount.

Although I do see a plus side to these trains.  If you are running show.  Train sometimes can get a lot of running time.  I guess being able to use these trains for shows and kill motor units of time, that only replacing the motor units is a huge advantage.

Edited by katoftw

I assembled the yellow one man diesel car together tonight.  I came to the conclusion that I need a train case/casket to house all the Tomytec Collection trains.

The shell wouldn't fit back into its original plastic case with the door hood attached.  And the motor unit wouldn't fit back into its original plastic case either due to the under floor pieces being attached.

I need a storage solution.  Since I have 5 cars now, 4 still in transit.  And 8 cars pre-ordered.

Edited by katoftw

I've tried to do some digging but cannot find any info.  The Kumamon wrapped 6221 EFwing train has red wings on the bogies and red lips on the wheels.  Any talk of this transferring onto the model itself?

Or just getting a TT-03R set, a fine brush and a tub of red model paint?

I've tried to do some digging but cannot find any info.  The Kumamon wrapped 6221 EFwing train has red wings on the bogies and red lips on the wheels.  Any talk of this transferring onto the model itself?

Or just getting a TT-03R set, a fine brush and a tub of red model paint?

I really hope Tomytec provides replacements with the set itself, as they aim for the TM-08R as the power pack.

for now on mine any that dont fit well into the cheap moulded tomytec case i just cut out a bit of the clear plastic. eventually i want to make them nicer and stronger cases.

always the casco, but still need to cut them some for details and pantograph.

very easy and inexpensive way to roll your own with the nice clear VHS cases. You can get the foam rubber insert material at fabric stores and just cut your car shapes using a jeweler's saw to fit your exact shape. you can then also put the tomytec box back into the back of the case as well and on the spine edge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEWELERS-SAWFRAME-ADJUSTABLE-SAW-FRAME-JEWELRY-HOBBY-CRAFT-3-for-SAW-BLADES-/190504804198?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5af89f66

this is what i plan to do eventually for all my tomytec rail cars like this. 

cheers

jeff

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10296600 I'll probably get one of these.  I have a empty Tomix case from my Farewell Keisei Freight Line set.  At least I'll have the option to house 10 trains until I get more.

Got another question.  The shells do not sit tightly on the motor unit, there is a lot of movement.  Normal?  Or is it hit and miss depending on the shell and motor?

You either left off or choose the wrong end modules for the shell. They lock into the end of the shell and keep it from sliding around.

As in up and down, or end to end?  The yellow diesel, the shell moves up and down on it.  The shell is almost fall on the bogies.

The Otsu 600 slid end to end, but I was testing it without end attached.  With ends are attached, it seems it will be a good fit.

But that leads me to another question as you reminded me.  How do you know which ends to use?  On some of the kits, 2 ends look the same. S and L look the same, and M different.  I just tried to match it to the static model underbody as best I could.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Edited by katoftw