Sign in to follow this  
bikkuri bahn

Tokaido Shinkansen to begin 285km/h operation next month

bikkuri bahn

With the spring timetable revision coming into effect March 14, maximum operating speed on the Tokaido Shinkansen will be raised from 270 to 285km/h. An exhibition run with passengers was carried out this Wednesday. The top speed of 285km/h was reached at eight locations between Toyohashi and Mikawa Anjo Stations. With the new schedule 1 train per hour will be run at the higher max speed. The journey time between Tokyo and Shin Osaka will be shortened by three minutes.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20150225/k10015737711000.html

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

Sacto1985

I think the eventual goal is all Nozomi services to reach 300 km/h with N700A and upgraded N700 trainsets on parts of the Tokaidō line, likely from Shizuoka to Toyohashi and Maibara to Kyoto. The older 700 Series trainsets will be rebuilt and relegated to Hikari and Kodama services.

Edited by Sacto1985

The Next Station Is...

I applaud JR Central for continuously pushing up the speed, even by a small amount. I can't imagine British railway operators putting in the effort to push up operating speeds in the same way...