Motor clicking, I need help

shadowtiger25

shadowtiger25

I recently got a Tenshodo C62 second hand, and the motor is making a clicking noise. I was at the club I am a member of, and they agree  that it is a broken gear tooth or a cracked gear. I do not know how to go about having it repaired, or if I should try to contact Tenshodo.

I find it usually takes a bit longer to get a response to emails in English.  I’d give them at least a week or so before assuming they’re not going to reply.

shadowtiger25

I find it usually takes a bit longer to get a response to emails in English.  I’d give them at least a week or so before assuming they’re not going to reply.

Ok, entail then I will continue to try to find a place state's side to repair it. All it needs is a replacement gear.. If I could have some one in my area make one, I could replace it myself.. 

Yeah I was thinking about making one.  I don't have any experience with those 3D printers, but are the objects they produce durable?  Seems like an option. I googled "custom gears" and there appear to be plenty of places out there that cut gears, but I'm not sure what the minimum size is, plus it's probably not cheap.

shadowtiger25

Yeah I was thinking about making one.  I don't have any experience with those 3D printers, but are the objects they produce durable?  Seems like an option. I googled "custom gears" and there appear to be plenty of places out there that cut gears, but I'm not sure what the minimum size is, plus it's probably not cheap.

I've had a little experience with one in an engineering class, but I don't know. though I would love to replace the only plastic gear with a metal one. (I opened it up to see which gear was broken)  

Most 3d printed objects are either too soft or too rigid for mechanical loads. My best guess for a replacement gear would be to get a mechanical watch repair shop to make you a new gear from metal. If you have the old broken one in more or less in once piece and it's a straight one, then it's rather easy for them to copy it.

ps: The plastic gear might have a function, mainly as lubrication replacement. Metal on metal is not good without grease or oil, but metal on plastic on metal is better. Usually the middle gear acts as a kind of lubricant, eroding in the process, but much slower and quieter than a fully metal drive chain would.

shadowtiger25

Most 3d printed objects are either too soft or too rigid for mechanical loads. My best guess for a replacement gear would be to get a mechanical watch repair shop to make you a new gear from metal. If you have the old broken one in more or less in once piece and it's a straight one, then it's rather easy for them to copy it.

ps: The plastic gear might have a function, mainly as lubrication replacement. Metal on metal is not good without grease or oil, but metal on plastic on metal is better. Usually the middle gear acts as a kind of lubricant, eroding in the process, but much slower and quieter than a fully metal drive chain would.

Good point on the metal on metal. I found a place that makes model rail road gears, but the problem I will have is getting the new one on.

Metal to metal gears gives you an European diesel hydraulic engine sound.. LOL

So that's how Kato got their HO DD51 to sound like the real thing and not have DCC sound!

Where are you located?  I have a friend that does work on brass steam for other people, he might be willing to take this job on.  It's probably a simple fix once you have access to the parts.

Can you post a photo of the damaged gear in context with where it is located?  Usually Tenshodo steam has a cast metal gearbox that surrounds the worm gear from the motor and the bull gear on the driven axle - is that where it is?

shadowtiger25

Where are you located?  I have a friend that does work on brass steam for other people, he might be willing to take this job on.  It's probably a simple fix once you have access to the parts.

Can you post a photo of the damaged gear in context with where it is located?  Usually Tenshodo steam has a cast metal gearbox that surrounds the worm gear from the motor and the bull gear on the driven axle - is that where it is?

I'll get a pic of the gears and the gear I suspect is split. Its a die cast model, but still a Tenshodo (I wish I had 4000 dollars to buy the brass one..) I think it is the gear in the driven axle. I'm in West Virginia, but I'm willing to ship it to have it repaired. There is no one in my area who will even get over the fact its Japanese to even look at it.

Ah - I thought it was brass. Go ahead and post the pics and I'll show them to my friend, but you may do best to wait and see if Tenshodo replies.

shadowtiger25

yeah, I wish it was brass.. anyway, I'll open it up tonight and get pics. I really hope your friend can fix it, because I don't want to pay international shiping on that heavy beast again.

shadowtiger25

Ah - I thought it was brass. Go ahead and post the pics and I'll show them to my friend, but you may do best to wait and see if Tenshodo replies.

well, tenshodo never replied, and something weird happened. I just kept tinkering with it, and after doing I have no idea what, the clicking stopped, and it doesn't stop randomly. It makes a little bit of a jerking motion, but its very small, and other than that it runs fine now. I don't understand what I did. *shrugs* guess all's well that ends well.

shadowtiger25

It might just a temporary fix.. Get the replacement gear ASAP.

It was. I finally got the part and it is now replaced. works fine now