Suica & NEX ticket cancelled

YamanoteRider95

Yes, it has been discontinued. Starting this April, a new round trip ticket [N`ex Tokyo round trip ticket] costing 4000yen will be sold. As the previous ticket offer was only one-way from Narita AP, this is a better offer, especially if you`re coming from the more distant areas. You will have to buy the Suica separately, but that's simple.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
Guest keio6000

crap - it was a good ticket.  what a pity.   4000 yen round trip ticket means now it's better to take Keisei for those who are price conscious.   Before, it was basically a 1500 yen N'ex ticket - a no brainer.  plus it was a smart move to get Suica in the hands of as many tourists as possible.  I think cancelling this was a really dumb move - especially when you consider it's "one way" nature - basically, as it was before, the price was attractive enough to keep the cheap travellers from taking keisei while introducing return travellers to the nex - for which many of whom would necessarily buy a full price return ticket.

darn.  i really liked that ticket.

Edited by keio6000

crap - it was a good ticket.  what a pity.   4000 yen round trip ticket means now it's better to take Keisei for those who are price conscious.   Before, it was basically a 1500 yen N'ex ticket - a no brainer.  plus it was a smart move to get Suica in the hands of as many tourists as possible.  I think cancelling this was a really dumb move - especially when you consider it's "one way" nature - basically, as it was before, the price was attractive enough to keep the cheap travellers from taking keisei while introducing return travellers to the nex - for which many of whom would necessarily buy a full price return ticket.

darn.  i really liked that ticket.

Skyliner is 2,200 yen one way.  And you can only get as far as Ueno.

While the new N'EX deal isn't as good value as the last.  For most if will probably be free anyway as they'll have a JR Pass, JR East Pass or Kanto Pass.

I think rather it's a good move.  Most tourists (i.e. non-railfans) are going to want to use the same train service that they used going from the airport to get back to the airport- less confusing and less uncertainty, good after a tiring week or two of sightseeing.  I bet many were frustrated that it was one-way only, and that they had to pay full price on the return.  Lets look at the case with the old ticket (with a Tokyo Arr/Dep)- 1500 (arrival) + 2820 (departure)= 4320 yen.  You're saving 320 yen with the new r/t ticket.  Unlike the Skyliner, you also get the transfer to wide coverage on local lines in the Tokyo area and parts of Kanagawa.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

For most if will probably be free anyway as they'll have a JR Pass, JR East Pass or Kanto Pass.

I think this offer is aimed more at people just visting the Tokyo area, so no need for a global pass.

It's a good move, as bikkuri bahn described. Besides, if you're really on a budget, you use the Keisei Main Line connection for ¥1025 to get to the Metropolitan area and transfer to JR in Nippori. That is, if you like dragging your luggage. The ¥4000 NE'X offer is pretty good for ¥2000 for each way to any station within this area: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/nex_round.html#category05

The other option (¥1500) for a one way ticket isn't too bad as well when you need to go beyond the metropolitan area. It looks like the ticket can be purchased with foreign passports only, but they don't mention residents of Japan. KACHING! 

EDIT: looking at it again, for me, it only is convenient because you save one transfer and ¥38... xD Damnit.

Edited by Toni Babelony
lurkingknight

I picked up a suica card and used it on the metro lines when I got tired from walking, my feet were pretty torn up last trip just 4-5 days into the trip so I was having a lot of trouble later in the trip. I found it far more convenient than having to track down day passes.

If you're penny pinching, then you can work out your most economical method, but for me the extra few bucks added by paying cash fare when I'm already spending 3000$ to be in country seemed to be silly considering the time investment of going or being where I wanted to be rather than trying to find the cheapest way to get from A to B.

nscalestation

Do many foreign tourist use the Suica Card?  I though about getting one while in japan.  But getting 500 yen all day passes suited my needs better.

My wife and I keep our Suica cards and use them on the next trip, recharging them (more yen) as needed.   Have done this several times.

I took Kesei in 08 and while it was ¥1000 something, it took forever to get to Ueno. As of this week, the JR-E page shows a one way card for 1500, and the R/T for 4000. Personally, I prefer to come in to HND than NRT, but I got stuck flying in to NRT this coming fall and need to connect at Ueno. Argh!

I took Kesei in 08 and while it was ¥1000 something, it took forever to get to Ueno. As of this week, the JR-E page shows a one way card for 1500, and the R/T for 4000. Personally, I prefer to come in to HND than NRT, but I got stuck flying in to NRT this coming fall and need to connect at Ueno. Argh!

Keisei is still ¥1025 from Narita Airport to Ueno by Ltd. Express (1:21 min.), ¥1235 by Narita Sky Access route (±60 min.) and ¥2465 by Skyliner (45 min.). JR East takes ¥1317 for Ueno by local (1:45 min.) and ¥1500 with the NE'X and transfer at Tokyo sta (1:17 min.).

Depending on where you're going, Keisei can be the cheaper and faster option. JR East certainly is the most convenient when going beyond the metropolitan area.

With all the corporate bullsh*t going on at Keisei at the moment (getting rid of all the nice trains in favour of the 3000 types), I'm kind of biased between JR East and Keisei for my future travels. xD

Keisei does offer some well priced options.

I plan on using the Skyliner to access Tokyo next time mainly due to travel time and a Switch at say Noppori to a Yamanote service is easy, and the Yamanote comes around every 3-4 minutes to connect.

Although after seeing how the trains can fill up on a Friday and Saturday night, this might not be an option is arriving Friday or Saturday night.

I remember sitting on my N'EX service betwenn Tokyo and Shinjuku, legs out stretched, plently of leg room etc.  And looked accross and saw a Yamanote service, it reminded me of 8:30am peak hour at Shinjuku Station.  They didn't have room to breathe leg alone leg room. haha

Does the Skyliner have trolley service like the N'EX?  Or cos it is so much quicker, there is not a requirement for trolley service?

Edited by katoftw
The Next Station Is...

Skyliner hasn't had trolley service any of the times I've been on it. It's a nice train and definitely recommendable, if you're staying in or near Ueno.