Interested in 1/150 6.5mm or 7.1mm gauge?

Ken Ford

That's what I'm planning to use if I convert any equipment - I picked up a loop of Micro-trains track to experiment, but the Rokuhan looks to be more versatile.

Hi Ken

The Rokuhan track goes together much better than Marklin (I haven't tried MTL track).

Interesting I see what you mean now kvp my apologies for not really understanding you I did not realise Tomix used the plastic axle on non motorised wheels, all my my models are like the ones HantuBlauL OL posted. That should make for a pretty straightforward conversion Ken. I am actually tempted to pick up a pack of the wheels in kvp's post they are not expensive and it is better to make a mistake on those before hacking up a complete train. 

The next thing to work out is how much of the frame would need to be cut/filed down to fit 6.5mm wheels. I cannot see it being a major issue.

Nice layout and completly retro, including the music, the analog camera system and running on the ancient maerklin z track system from 1972. And all this with prototypical sized working couplers and what seems like an analog operation.

My Isumi 200s and TM-11R chassis arrived today. I think the chassis will work for a 6.5mm conversion, and I won't be out a lot of money if it fails spectacularly.

• Like 1

Still pushing this idea around.  I'm limiting myself to working with a Tomytec Isumi 200 and a simple loop of track - here's a quick photo I took that illustrates (poorly) why I'm intrigued by this idea:

post-742-0-46487000-1427721999.jpg

(Just a mockup, I'm still thinking about how to best convert the mechanism)

I know this is dangerous thinking, but I'm also slowly getting interested in this... :P It just looks too good!

I now have a redundant Tomytec power unit which I'm now trying to get a random KiHa shell for.

It would be a great side project to convert it into 6.5mm gauge and make a small 50x80cm loop layout to run it on.

I don't have other trains where I want to take the risk of ruining their mechanisms so I look forward to your progress!

(Btw Ken, your last picture seems to have disappeared)

That's odd - the attachment disappeared.

I've been working on the NT3000 so haven't done more with this, but that project is at a standstill waiting for a drive so I should come back to this one.

I've been away from all my hobbies with personal issues since early April, but I'd like to get back to this Nj concept. Since April my Kato Kiha110s came into stock and are expected here tomorrow. From reading I'm thinking converting one other two of these might be an easier project.

I'm leaning to a small generic JR East inspired single track line in a loop format. I'd probably use Micro Trains track for since I have it in hand and can easily get more.

• Like 1

Sounds interesting! I have a whole fleet of Kiha 110s, they're lovely little units. Converting some diesel cars to 6.5mm gauge and making a loop layout for them for is still something I'd like to do one day as well, but I'll patiently await your findings first. ;)

Haha I actually have no idea how I should do it. I don't think I have the appropriate tooling to convert the axles. 1067mm rolling stock just looks much better with 6.5mm gauge!

Here's some interesting websites about 1:150 scale 6.5mm gauge I've found a while back:

http://www.diotown.com/cms_system/mt-search.cgi?blog_id=2&tag=Njゲージ&limit=20

http://shochans.jp/tag/njゲージ/

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/1596292/blog/c819332/ (don't forget to click on 次のページ below the page for more)

This page from a already familiar website very clearly shows what needs to be changed within the axle to convert it to 6.5mm gauge: http://vivant.jp/cyouziku-kaiki.htm

Edit: Here's a (not very elaborate) page on Kato's KiHa 110: http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/1596292/blog/29840204/

By the way, maybe it's best to use a freight car or something as a first conversion project. That way it will be much cheaper in case you mess up the first time.

Edited by Densha
  • Like 1
Das Steinkopf

I really like the look of the 7.1mm track as it does give a more realistic look compared to using standard N Gauge track, I will keenly watch with interest how this project goes as I may be tempted to go down this path, making the switch to finescale is a rather daunting task and I shyed away from it when I was modelling in OO Gauge. I haven't built a layout yet and plan to make a tentative start in the new year, depending on how people go with the conversion of locomotives and rolling stock I might just pluck up the courage to have a crack at it myself.

On a side note using Z Gauge track for Kato's 1:160 Scale RhB models would be almost perfect to emulate Metre Gauge track as it comes in at 1040mm, I don't think anyone is really going to notice a difference of 0.25mm unless they are the rivet counter from hell.

Afaik Kato RhB models are 1/150..

Yes - there was a long discussion of why they did this.  

As I recall, there was final agreement (?) that they were more interested in marketing to Japanese modelers than European.

Das Steinkopf

Who cares for 40mm in 1/150 scale difference?

Afaik Kato RhB models are 1/150..

Even better at 1/150 Scale it would be the equivalent of 975mm in width, or in other words 0.16667mm difference.

Back from the dead...

I purchased a pre-converted Kato 110 from Bibian to get the ball moving again. I'm thinking a simple sceniced display loop using Rokuhan's 270mm radius for simplicity. I'd prefer using their 490mm radius but it's only available in an odd 13 degree size; I can hide the tightness of the 270mm curves if I'm careful with the scenery. The whole goal here is a simple little layout to play with the concept of Nj.

• Like 1

Yeah the big curves are only to offset the turnout dimensions.  I think 270mm is the biggest radi for Z scale.

Although 13 degrees ins't far off 12.5 degrees.  In a whole 180 turn, that is only 2 degrees to much.  the play in the joiners will make that nearly nothing.

Or flex it:-

10150566a.jpg

Edited by katoftw

I'll save flex for the next one - I want this layout to be stupid simple so I won't have any excuses to not finish it. Basically a slightly offset oval with a bridge on the front side and a spur on the unseniced back so I can stash equipment.

I just ordered all the track and bridges...

• Like 1

Interesting. The Rokuhan track and bridges showed up, and my gamble paid off - the Z through truss bridge has sufficient clearance for Nj DMUs. Yay!

• Like 1