Strange beahviour of my Kato E2 - Hayate

FastFranz

Ciao,

I was used (in Italy) to run my trains - on a Kato V11 set - like this: lay the track (on the groundflor) and RUN!

Never had problems (including the E2) with the other Shinkansen, Sunrise Express and MD250 Super Cargo. When I packed all my toys to leave everything was all right! Here - Ivory coast - my V11 is, slowly turning into a layout (see Mangarahara thread) and the E2 has begun to give me problems:

FOREWORD: all other trains carry on running with no problem at all!

ADD-ON: the train (E2) runs with no abnormal noise of any kind

Every now and the (most likely the "power coach" or the one in front/on the rear of it) "exit/jump" (forgive my english) from the rail: the bogies/axes hit the sleepes and become noisy. Seldom the trains stalls since the engine - even if running - is no longer able to pull.

This behaviour takes place in both running directions and fully randomly: at the start, after two/five/eleven, twentyfour "laps", at different speed (even if using a 8V transformer I will never hit models, real, top speeds).

I tryed to move, in different position "along" the train, the motorized coach or to run it alone: SAME STORY!!!

The only thing I noticed is that IF the trains speed-up slowly it seems to run someway better (but not that much and the end of the story doesn't change)

My station - for the sake of being as clear as possible  - has a little step (in/out) but his doesn't hurts other trains even if sometims the problem goes on exiting of the station (but is NOT the only point that gives ne troubles)

???????????????????????????????

REALLY SORRY for having been so long.

Francesco (puzzled and disappointed)

Francesco,

No worries on being long, the more info in this situation the better!

Sounding like a truck is popping off the tracks on you. Could be something in the track work bumping it off, can you see it happening at the same point every time? Once you fasten down track some joints can cause some issues with some trains then. When it's on the floor and not attached the track joints can flex and move a bit and this can be forgiving.

The other thing it could be is a gummed up truck that is not turning freely. Check all the trucks to see they swivel freely. Power car trucks can have less freedom of movement and take more force to swivel, so a litt stick up on them can cause issues. Sounding like it's usually the power car that's at issue.

With it not happening as much with a slow start it's sounding like maybe one wheel comes off and it can go around ok for a while (sometimes these single axle derails will retail themselves) and then the full truck comes off the track later.

Jeff

Ciao

I did, almost, all the check You suggested with - in the end - no reliable result (i.e.: wheels turn freely, boogies turn correctly, axes correctly in place).

I carried on thinking and trying until I noticed a detail: coming out of the station (much less entering it) on the small step (actual height 5 mm!!!) at the end the "vertical edge" of a wheel(s) was lifting reaching the (flat) upper surface of the rail and running there.

Sometimes the wheel(s) re-entered in the groove (immediately or after a while) but - most of times - jumped out. This I noticed at slow speed so chances are at speed things were worst.

Suspected was, then, that little step leading to the station after having removed both of the, (pity the station, the gangways and the rest) I gave a try to the track with the Hayate in minimal configuration (four cars, including the powered one) and things seem to go better.

Will carry on test on both internal/external ring with train in the longest configuration I have and see what's going on ...

Thanls for Your precious support,

Francesco

Hey great sleuthing! Should have mentioned the station ends as the jrm shinkansen station ends use to derail some trains randomly like that when running on the passing siding. Turns out even though it was done at kato specs with track and platforms, some cars would rub just a tad on the end of the platform or wobble a tiny bit going thru the point and hit the platform end a tiny bit when at the wrong end of the wobble. It would usually only lift off one wheel and then fully derail much later. Took a long time to figure out. Cut one of the straight platforms back 30% and pulled the ends back an inch and no more derailments!

God luck!

Jeff

Ciao

Having smoothened (well, removed ...) the small step at both ends of the station the problem seems to no longer exist. At any rate I will, for good, fix rails (I had to remove them) onlu after a long testing period!!!

THX a lot!

Francesco