Show your switching/shunting layout!

Ken Ford

With all this talk about shunting, I remembered I had an old Tomix 1521 Magnetic Uncoupler Track sitting around that I’d never actually tried - so I thought I’d have a shot at automating it.

Here’s the result: a repeating sequence with the loco dropping off two trucks, picking them up again, then running them round the loop.  I’ve used two power outputs (with occupancy detection), 3 automated points and a single TCS sensor.  The stopping/starting is a bit abrupt and could do with some fine tuning - but other than that, works pretty well…

• Like 2

I have the same loco. Did you have to modify it to work with the uncoupler or it works off the shelf?

Just used it off the shelf - no mods needed.  That one’s a 9154, but I just checked a 9126 and it works as well.  The couplers on the trucks themselves aren't sensitive to the magnet, so only the coupler on the loco is lifting.

Update: I just checked my old Tomix catalog and I see there’s a special symbol next to models with the magnetic coupler.

post-2339-0-17795500-1424694546_thumb.jpg

All the electric and diesel locos on the following pages have that symbol next to them, so I guess it’s pretty standard.

I was about to start a new topic to ask a question, when I noticed this thread.

I didn't read every post, but saw Toni say,

"I think switching layouts in Japan (and beyond with a Japanese theme) aren't popular because Japanese railways don't see much switching in general."

Which is a good lead-in to my question, which has to do with shunting engines.

post-941-0-33791400-1424927123_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-08189400-1424927154_thumb.jpg

Regarding the first photo, I see a small cabin added on pretty much at track level.  What I don't know is if it has full controls in it for yard work, or is simply a shelter for the fellow throwing switches and handling un/coupling?

In the photo of the steeplecabs, there's also a miniscule engine that I have to think is dedicated to yard work, likely moving no more than maybe 3 cars at a time.

So, it looks like some areas are doing shunting, as they have specially designed / adapted engines for it.

I've never tried one, but have to think that I would quickly get bored with an Inglenook.  I'd need at least a run-around track for it to be interesting, say a Timesaver.  That being said, the small yard at the cement plant would make a very appealing model.

Here is another photo of Japanese freight operation, and I can't imagine a more appealing railway scene anywhere - unless you only care about passenger operations.

post-941-0-08332600-1424927182_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

My biggest problem is remote uncoupling with rapidos, reliable coupling on curves and shunting in general with very light 2 axle cars that tend to roll off if spotted somewhere not completly flat (or preferably at the bottom of a valley).

Outside of the Rapidos and very light cars, these are the same issues that proto railroads face - even if the cars aren't light, they still need to be braked when spotted at the desired destination.  Perhaps don't try coupling on curves, and add some weight to the cars.  When I've done shunting (on large HO layouts), I really enjoyed the challenge of figuring out the sequence for doing it most efficiently.

From what I've seen, most Japanese modeling doesn't let realism stand in the way, so there's no reason you can't design your own shunting layout / module for any era.  Granted that American N-scale wagons may be longer and heavier, but I believe Europeans are able to do N-scale operations, and their traditional wagons are also short.

As an example the British have small branchline terminus layouts down cold, but it's a fairly uncommon way to design and build a layout here in the US.  The method works very well for US outline - why not for Japanese?

Ken - based on the reason for that development in the U.K., I should think that it would also have relevance in Japan.  The British tend to have small layouts because they also have small houses, without basements.  With the real estate situation in Japan, I would have thought that shelf switching layouts would be quite popular.

The other thing I don't get is that shunting is a creative and mental challenge.  This makes me wonder if Japanese modelers are mostly interested in it being a relaxing thing, and are quite happy to watch trains run (fast) in circles, and don't want to put effort into it, after initially setting up the track?  Or, if the track is set up each time on a temporary basis, that's all the challenge they want? 

Lastly, for those who don't know of it, this is an excellent source for small layouts, although predominantly Micro Layouts - which are in fact popular in Japanese narrow gauge circles.

http://www.carendt.com/   

My largely unscenicked module / switching layout is here:

http://www.carendt.com/small-layout-scrapbook/page-62-june-2007/

• Like 1

I'd say that small cabin in the first photo is a shelter for the shunter/switchman, or other workers in the yard. You can see individual point levers on the left hand side of the yard. Interesting thing though is there also appear to be dwarf ground signals on a number of these points. They may be point indicators, or perhaps are used to indicate if the road is occupied or empty?

I like the third photo very much as I find freight trains very appealing. Worth noting are the spring switches at the entry to the yard, denoted by the blue and white circular targets on the switch stands. One side of the target has a horizontal white bar, and the other the letter "S" superimposed on the bar. What railway is this?

Having been both a shunter and guard over the years shunting is something I enjoy greatly, for the reasons you mention.

Cheers,

Mark.

... This makes me wonder if Japanese modelers are mostly interested in it being a relaxing thing, and are quite happy to watch trains run (fast) in circles...

That's what I call "flange therapy."  :)

My largely unscenicked module / switching layout is here:

http://www.carendt.com/small-layout-scrapbook/page-62-june-2007/

I remember when that one came out - which one is yours?

Maybe this one?

hansen740.jpg

(just assuming, since this is the only module/layout from Boston on the page)

That was my guess, but his "largely unscenicked" comment threw me for a loop.

That was my guess, but his "largely unscenicked" comment threw me for a loop.

Well, there are lots of kitbashed structures, but no ballast and very little scenery.  You can see that I started to do ground cover on the near end, but then thought that wasn't the right appearance for a grubby urban yard and suddenly stopped.  At a show a fellow mentioned that they wouldn't have bothered to cover the siding at the cold storage warehouse.  I explained that it was formerly served by a ground-level siding at the rear, but when the high-level line was built they created a new siding on the top side.  You can even see an abandoned ancient reefer behind the building.  I'll add a few more views.

post-941-0-85301500-1424970123_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-09876400-1424970134_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-83362400-1424970146_thumb.jpg

Two ideas for kvp and his free-rolling issues while trying to shunt.

Since you want to combine loop running with some shunting, possibly install a few short vertical pieces of thin monofilament at those locations you want cars to stay put at.  It only needs to be high enough to engage the axle, but won't impact the car being moved by an engine.  These should be placed something less than a car length apart.  Since you're not using a permanent board, you can create special short sections of straight track with these embedded.

For anyone who wants a shunting only shelf layout or similar, I once saw something about decreasing rolling resistance.  I think it was HO, and might not work in N, but I believe it involved placing a small section of spring (maybe Kadee, cut down to 1 or 2 coils) between one axle end and the bogie.  The resistance was small enough that it wouldn't impact engine movement of the wagon, but it would not roll on its own.  No doubt there are other techniques for achieving this - maybe just use the cheapest plastic wheelsets you can find ;-)  It sounds like Nick Burman might have some spares . . .   Cars would stay exactly where you place them, and there shouldn't be enough drag to cause any issues for the engine.  This would not be desirable in kvp's situation, but if you're only doing slow speed shunting, I don't see a downside.

• Like 1

I like the third photo very much as I find freight trains very appealing. Worth noting are the spring switches at the entry to the yard, denoted by the blue and white circular targets on the switch stands. One side of the target has a horizontal white bar, and the other the letter "S" superimposed on the bar. What railway is this?

Mark - I have no idea where this is, as it's an image I found on the net when I first got interested in Japanese trams and trains last fall.  I believe it's a gravel train for the concrete industry.  I'll add another image that I found at the same time, showing what appears to be engines representing several companies sharing the same shed.  I have seen the symbols on the front of the engines in photos of silos at cement works - in fact, one of them is seen on the wall of a building in the photo I sent of the small yard at a cement works.

post-941-0-74675300-1424971109_thumb.jpg

One of the things that strikes me is the apparently new (freshly ballasted?) tracks on the left, with the overgrown track continuing up the hill behind them.  The track this train has just come down is also quite steep.  There are just so many little details, coupled with the wonderful S-shape of the train and the work cars on the side, that for me it's a really charming scene.

> It looks like the photos are of the Iwate Development Railway.  A Google Images search for 岩手開発鉄道 turns up similar pics, including this slightly wider view of the shed:

You nailed it mrp, and I've now realized the engine shed is just beyond the scene in the yard photo I posted.  I was a bit surprised, as the images just showing the shed make it look as if it's in the countryside, especially with the mountains towering behind.  Whatever this town is, it's clearly a (the?) major operational center for the line.  Is the large town with the passenger overpass their connection with the JNR network?  

I'm curious about the stone/tile/metal walkways between the tracks.  Are these covers for wire trenches, and/or "safe" places for men to walk/stand when a train is passing?  

I've noticed them before, and they seem fairly common in Japan.

Edited by velotrain

Sorry for the dup. photos - I did a quote and thought I deleted the image, so not sure what happened.

I should have just manually copied the text vs.a quote.

Well... you can get rid of them by editing your post. Just click the edit button on the bottom right of the post

I would have if I'd known they were there - guess I'll need to do a Preview every time.

I later realized you meant editing the sent post, and I think I managed to remove everything from it - oh well

I don't know about others, but I often get strange system behavior in this forum.

Using mrp's search text provides some fine photos of mountain railroading, or perhaps in the valley between mountains.  The overhead image of the loads and empties passing along the river

post-941-0-30709200-1424981855_thumb.jpg

made me think of the Totternhoe Mineral Railway, which uses a unique presentation design.

post-941-0-14853100-1424981232_thumb.jpg

There are more images of it in Hall 4 here, which is also a great source for small layout design inspiration - including the British branch-line stub terminal layouts that Ken Ford mentioned.

http://www.ngrail.co.uk/  

• Like 1
You nailed it mrp, and I've now realized the engine shed is just beyond the scene in the yard photo I posted. I was a bit surprised, as the images just showing the shed make it look as if it's in the countryside, especially with the mountains towering behind. Whatever this town is, it's clearly a (the?) major operational center for the line. Is the large town with the passenger overpass their connection with the JNR network?

Sakari was a joint station for three companies, all of them running passenger trains with two lines terminating there. Now the JR East line is gone and replaced by a bus rapid transit line (which Tomix just made in N) and most of the coastal part of the town is also gone, along with the people who lived there. Now only the Sanriku railway remains with their passenger trains departing from what was platform 3 of the original station. Platforms 1 and 2 are the BRT terminals while the Iwate platform (slightly to the north east) is unused, but still standing.

Edited by kvp

Makes me think of these things... not sure if they're used for shunting or not.

Well, yours is inside a plant, while the one with the steeplecabs is in a yard, next to the tower.

...and most of the coastal part of the town is also gone, along with the people who lived there.

On no, I hadn’t picked up on that until you mentioned it, kvp - that Ofunato was one of the places badly hit by the 2011 tsunami.   I found the horrific footage on YouTube that I still clearly remember watching at the time.  Terrible.

From the recent additions to this topic, the Iwate Development Railway (Iwate Kaihatsu Tetsudō) 岩手開発鉄道 and the Mitsui Mii Coal Mining Railway (Mitsui Mii Tankō Tetsudō) 三井三池炭鉱鉄道 (red steeple cabs), both had some (very) crude form of passenger transport.

PICT7848_2.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IjU9zyzTgPI/T4x1CreVv_I/AAAAAAAADG8/DX3v71K22n8/s1600/PICT7848_2.JPG

That almost doesn't look Japanese...

iwate0021.jpg

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/cappa-ahiru/rail-photo/iwatekaihatsu/iwate0021.jpg

Yep. This is the whole fleet. Very simple to model and perfect for a small switching layout.

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 1

Yep. This is the whole fleet. Very simple to model and perfect for a small switching layout.

You can even stroll around the surrounding streets on Google StreetView:

Edit: And how about a video of them loading up the limestone?  Amazing what you can find.

It does seem perfect.  Passing sections, a switchback, loading, shunting, grade crossings, a pier bridge, engine sheds, small stations, modern signals, beautiful scenery, main line interchange, no catenary, nice looking locomotives…  What more could you want?  I wonder if there’s a tunnel…

Edited by mrp
  • Like 1