Eki stampu?

SantaFe1970

I will be making my first trip to Japan this May, and have recently learned that Japanese railway stations (as well as subway stations, temples, aquariums, etc.) often offer distinctive rubber stamps and stamp pads so you can stamp yourself a souvenir of your visit.

This seems to be a pretty serious public service. I noticed that the JR West pdf maps of Kyoto and KIX airport stations both had a little icon to show you where the stamp station was located.

Apparently these stamps are called "eki stampu" = train stamps. Do I have that right?

Does anyone know more about these stamps? The examples I've seen on the internet seem to be very artistic.

I am thinking of trying to collect a few. They seem to be rather large. How big an album or notebook would I need? Would 5" x 7" be big enough?

Thanks for the example, katoftw. It looks like its in a special binder.

How do people usually collect these? Individual examples in binders, like stamp collectors? 

Or do people have dedicated albums, that they carry with them when they travel?

I am assuming that train station stamps grew out of the culture of collecting stamps from temple visits? Anyone know?

People usually buy a stamp booklet*, or a blank notebook that easily fits in a small shoulder bag or large coat pocket.  Lightness is key.

Forum member gmat is a collector of these.  Here is an old thread:

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/4702-paper-or-booklet-to-hold-train-station-rubber-stamps/?hl=%2Bstation+%2Bstamps

*http://shop.kotsu.co.jp/shopdetail/007000000002/order/

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Interesting topic!

Here's more information about Eki-stamps: https://denshadejapan.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/the-eki-stamp/

I think they're not to be confused with in-train stamp? I think the one katoftw got should be the one that was in the Hayato-no-kaze train itself instead of the station? There are some stamps on famous sightseeing trains like these that you can receive a card with a space for you to stamp on with the stamp on the train itself.

Thanks for the replies and links -- interesting stuff. I'm not sure I'll turn into a collector, but I'll definitely try to collect a few station stamps while I'm in Japan this May.

Interesting distinction between station and on-the-train stamps. 

Do ticket collectors carry stamps with them? Is there a stamp station on the train? Just on specified "tourist trains"? 

Thanks for the JR Kyushu link. Very interesting train trip there -- I'd love to try the "sweet potato pudding." 

And the on-train stamp looks like the one that katoftw shared above.

I think I'm going to have to make more than one trip to Japan...

(My upcoming trip to Japan in May will take the typical Nara-Kyoto-Tokyo first-time-tourist itinerary.)

SantaFe,

Ive only seen them on the joyful trains themselves, rest of the time its somewhere in the station or at an attaction. its fun thing to do a bit of geochasing to find the stamp location. i did learn to bring a little stamp pad (picked one up at a 100 yen store) as some of the pads at places were pretty dried out to make a nice stamp.

jeff

Good tip, cteno4. Thanks. I'll be sure to bring along a stamp pad.

Also, somewhere I think I read that these stamps are usually red, and so it wouldn't be kind to the next person to have a black or blue stamp pad. Does anyone know better?

Thanks for the JR Kyushu link. Very interesting train trip there -- I'd love to try the "sweet potato pudding." 

And the on-train stamp looks like the one that katoftw shared above.

I think I'm going to have to make more than one trip to Japan...

(My upcoming trip to Japan in May will take the typical Nara-Kyoto-Tokyo first-time-tourist itinerary.)

No problem! JR Kyushu just recently revamp their web site, so it looks really good now. I'm taking the triple combo this year; SL Hitoyoshi - Isaburo-Shinpei 0 Hayato-no-Kaze this April, so i'll be sure to post some photos when i'm back!

Japan cannot be fully visited in one trip! It has to be done consecutively, as there is way too much grounds to cover!  :) 

Good tip, cteno4. Thanks. I'll be sure to bring along a stamp pad.

Also, somewhere I think I read that these stamps are usually red, and so it wouldn't be kind to the next person to have a black or blue stamp pad. Does anyone know better?

I've found most of them to be blue or red, sometimes green, the occasional one multicoloured.

Thanks again for all the information. I've been checking out the links shared above.

It seems that station stamps are nearly universal. All 77 JR stations in Tokyo! Even all Tokyo Metro subway stations (at the lost and found, apparently)!

Also, I'm thinking the stamp location in major stations may be particularly useful to me on my upcoming trip to Japan, this May. This will be a group trip with students (14 of us total -- I am co-organizer). In my past experience, when I've taken groups on trips, there is always a need to have a group meeting point while individuals go off to the rest room, buy a souvenir, or just wait around while a leader checks a connection, makes seat reservations, etc. If we meet and hang around the stamp location, that gives the folks who are waiting something extra to do and talk about while they wait for the last person back from the bathroom, etc.

The official JR West orientation maps of KIX and Kyoto stations indicate the stamp locations (indeed, noticing that little icon on the maps got my whole interest in this topic rolling). I'll be checking out the available maps of other stations we'll be visiting to see if stamp stations are indicated.

The 'Railway Mapple' series of railway atlases show every station (JR and private) with stamps by a stamp symbol next to the station.

• Like 1

I just checked out "Railway Mapple" at Amazon Japan. Wow. I can't read Japanese -- a pity -- but, from the images, it looks like at least one of their atlases is like a coloring book, and you can color in the lines you have ridden. Do I have that right?

I just checked out "Railway Mapple" at Amazon Japan. Wow. I can't read Japanese -- a pity -- but, from the images, it looks like at least one of their atlases is like a coloring book, and you can color in the lines you have ridden. Do I have that right?

There is an atlas where you can colour in the lines as you ride them, I have one myself.

I also have a full set of the Railway Mapples, being in Japanese is not a great disadvantage as a map is a map and you can figure out what the symbols mean.  Other than which stations have stamps it tells you if a line is single or double track, if a station has a passing siding and if it is a switch back station, where the rolling stock and loco depots are, locations of many preserved locos among other things.

I'm intrigued. A color-the-line railway atlas sounds fun, and would make a great souvenir. Plus, there's always the hope that I'll get back to Japan again...

lurkingknight

yes, every castle and museum I went to last time had a stamp and an ink pad usually near the souviner shop. I never found them in stations though. It was kind of interesting to see who would come up and stamp their book.. mostly kids but some older people.

Edited by lurkingknight
SantaFe1970

post-2930-0-49783000-1434378153_thumb.jpg

As the original poster, my thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Station stamps proved a fun part of my first trip to Japan this past May. (Such as the station stamp for Hikone, above, featuring the famous local castle and the town's celebrated mascot.)

This was a group trip, and while we did not make searching out every station stamp a priority, we often paused by the stamping spot for those who were interested, when we spotted one. Also, the stamping spot could also be a good rendezvous point: people could find a bathroom, or get a snack, and then meet back at the stamp spot. In every case, the stamping area was neat and orderly, with a relatively fresh ink pad and often a stack of souvenir stamping papers.

If you have a sense of whimsy, these stamps make a fun, cheap souvenir of places traveled to and through while in Japan. 

Edited by SantaFe1970
  • Like 1

Satafe,

hey thats great, glad it worked out. Yes i still have a pile of stamps from my first trip in the early 80s and love them. someday i need to college them in a frame for the hobby room. along with the jr pass full of trip stamps!

jeff