viaduct track question

jrcrunch

Viaduct tracks are raised on piers. They're like an extended bridge. The track with concrete ties you posted next to it are just ground-level tracks with... concrete ties. The simulated plastic roadbed would just be ballast in real life.

Kato does make some ground-level concrete slab track that actually looks more like viaduct track, but it's lacking the walls because there's no need to keep anyone from falling over the sides.

Viaduct tracks are raised on piers. They're like an extended bridge. The track with concrete ties you posted next to it are just ground-level tracks with... concrete ties. The simulated plastic roadbed would just be ballast in real life.

Kato does make some ground-level concrete slab track that actually looks more like viaduct track, but it's lacking the walls because there's no need to keep anyone from falling over the sides.

sorry i mean the concrete track looks like a concrete track but the elevated track doesnt look like the real thing. why it doesnt have the concrete look like what we see on real shinkansen tracks?

Personally i think the Kato tracks look like freshly built shinkansen tracks:

http://japan-magazine.jnto.go.jp/jntowm/wp-content/uploads/1501_shinkansen_main.jpg

You just have to make them dirty to get the usual look.

If that is not realistic enough, you might have to buy Tomix Wide Finetrack, which has the following viaduct sidewalls as an option (amongst other wall and fence types):

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/images/3057.jpg

But getting them dirty is still left to the modellers.

sorry i mean the concrete track looks like a concrete track but the elevated track doesnt look like the real thing. why it doesnt have the concrete look like what we see on real shinkansen tracks?

I think you may be thinking there's supposed to be ballast, but I'm not sure there ever is on true Japanese viaduct track. (There are portions of track that are above street level that have ballast, but they're not viaduct track, they're ground-level type tracks on platforms.) The main differences in the look between the two types of track you posted are the side walls and the ballast. Viaduct track doesn't need ballast because the rails are just bolted directly into the concrete that makes up the viaduct itself.

• Like 1

there are plenty of viaducts using ballast base out there, mainly commuter. the above post is incorrect.

I stand corrected. I was assuming shinkansen tracks, which is what the OP clarified he was asking about. Never seen it on a shinkansen viaduct.

Edited by spacecadet

The original Tokkaido shinkansen viaducts were ballasted. The technic is to make a concrete viaduct with a pan for ballast (and drainage on the bottom), then fill it with ballast. The N scale versions model this by having ground tracks in them that are actually removable. The Tomix Wide Finetracks i mentioned are also ballasted and come with concrete sleepers, but are 'finer' (aka more detailed).

Krackel Hopper

kvp,

thanks for mentioning "concrete sleepers" and i was able to search it

that is what im trying to ask. why does the viaduct track doesnt have the railroad tie or sleeper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_tie

Kato viaduct track is modeled after ballastless track, often called slab track. There are many different styles, the Kato slab track is built of what seems to be a fairly common style of pre-formed slabs. Slab track has a very expensive upfront cost. However, slab track is much stronger (holds rails in alignment), smoother ride (less sinking/settling), and much lower overall maintenance. This makes slab track ideal for high speed rail lines. You will find slab track on most newer high speed rail across the world. You will also find slab track used a lot in tunnels where maintenance and drainage can be major obstacles.

Some pictures of slab track in Japan.

Seikan Tunnel - connecting Hokkaido with the mainland.

post-180-0-35680200-1422724403_thumb.jpg post-180-0-94716200-1422724823_thumb.jpg

Shinkansen lines. The 2nd photo shows pre-cast slabs that look very similar to the Kato design with the interlocking/alignment circle.

post-180-0-13033500-1422724587_thumb.jpg post-180-0-52054600-1422724605_thumb.jpg

Edited by Krackel Hopper
  • Like 1

@krackel

yep you are right. just look at the derailed shinkansen

but how come some kato viaduct have concrete sleepers? 

pls check the 2 pics :)

post-2093-0-11897200-1422880532_thumb.jpg

post-2093-0-18742500-1422880534_thumb.jpg

post-2093-0-20476200-1422880898_thumb.jpg

Edited by jrcrunch

Both types are in use. The concrete sleeper version is the older one and still present on many older lines, especially slower speed non shinansen ones. Tomix even sells viaduct track with wooden sleepers, which were the first and oldest version. You can mix them on a layout without problems, but if you want a nice new high speed line, then build that from slabs, the commuter line from concrete sleepers, while the freight line could be wooden.

Krackel Hopper

does kato sell viaduct with sleepers? if no sleeper or ballastless i guess it suits best with shinkansen

All Kato single track viaduct uses wooden ties, as seen in your picture above.

As for double track, the only way to get concrete sleepers is in the V12 track set.

• Like 2

does kato sell viaduct with sleepers? if no sleeper or ballastless i guess it suits best with shinkansen

kato sell both concrete tie/ballact and slab base in viaduct pieces. but both have a mini turn radi of 381/414mm
  • Like 1