EF510-509 transferred to Toyama Locomotive Depot

EF510-509 has been transferred from JR East's Tabata Depot to JR Freight's Toyama Locomotive Depot.  -509 is one of the two EF510-500s, along with -510, in the Casseiopia livery.

It doesn't look like English or Japanese Wikipedia is updated yet, does anyone know if JR East has sold this one to JR Freight?  I'm still a bit surprised that JRE bought all of those locomotives only to sell them on just a few years later.  Or was that the plan to begin with?  I'm just not sure what their reason would be for subsidizing JR Freight's fleet.  It will be the tenth EF510-500 transfered if that's the case.  I think -509 and -510 are two of the sharpest looking electric locomotives ever built.

http://railf.jp/news/2015/01/19/170000.html

The scuttlebutt is this unit has a major repair issue, and had to be transported to Toyoma for an examination, as JR East didn't have the means to do it on their own.

• Like 1

As far as I know the Cassiopeia only has 2 of these in dedicated livery - is one enough to run with until the train is discontinued in 2016? What do they do for spares?

Davo Dentetsu

Feels a bit more tragic than when the JRW limited expresses finished.  At least their locos served a decent amount of time in service.

Well, I already have a blue JRF EF510 on my layout pulling my cleaning cars :)

Does seem too nice of a locomotive to be pulling freight, though.

EF510-509 is moved around Suita depot.  No more shooting star decal, stripes behind headlights, or JR East marking.