Prototypical Examples of Overhead/Flyover Stations?

Krackel Hopper

Krackel Hopper

Kato, Tomix (Tomytec) and GreenMax have some good variety with train stations. Many of the ground level stations are fairly accurate representations of what you would expect to see.

Overhead stations seem to be a different thing all together. The only flyover type station that comes close to anything I have seen is the GreenMax 2133 5-Story Station w/ Flyover. Which doesn't quite count as it is just a flyover bridge.

Has anyone seen examples similar to say..

Tomix 4033

post-180-0-10292600-1421694366_thumb.jpg

Kato 23-200

post-180-0-22062600-1421694430_thumb.jpg

Kato 23-122

post-180-0-62685700-1421694458_thumb.jpg

I'm not looking for an identical prototype, just something vaguely similar. Does anyone have any examples?

Krackel Hopper

Examples i know of is Ochanomizu on the Chuo-Sobu line and Mejiro on the Yamanote.

Those examples are close, but both those examples the station is on ground level (at least on one side) with tracks below.

Other than big office building type stations, I cannot find anything where the tracks are at ground level, you take stairs above to the station and then another set of stairs down to platform. I have seen this plenty in reverse, where the station is below ground and you take stairs back up to ground level for a platform.

Maybe the best option to make stations like this seem prototypical would be to build them into a hillside so the station is at "ground level" for the entrance and it drops off below to the platforms? Which is basically what Ochanomizu Station does.

Maybe the best option to make stations like this seem prototypical would be to build them into a hillside so the station is at "ground level" for the entrance and it drops off below to the platforms? Which is basically what Ochanomizu Station does.

I think for ease of use, manufacturers have added the stairs since most modellers wont have all the tracks in deep cuttings.

Sanuki Station on the Joban line is one. It's a little hard to find good pics of it because it's nestled in between shops, but the station itself is up the stairs, then you go back downstairs to the platform.

This is the main entrance: http://jice.homemate.co.jp/ice/image2/0001/1/337/227/S11259380609198.jpg

The station itself is that second white building in the background. The stairs/escalator are behind the white building in the foreground.

This is the exit on the other side: http://img.4travel.jp/img/tcs/t/pict/500/13/54/48/500_13544818.jpg?1281578589

Google Maps satellite view gives you a good look too (sorry, linking didn't work, but search Maps for 佐貫駅 and switch to satellite view). Overall the station is a lot like the Tomix or Kato station. Just put a couple other buildings in front of it.

Edited by spacecadet

Krackel, this is an extremely common layout (perhaps even a de-facto standard) in outer suburban stations, many foreign visitors haven't seen them (or noticed them) as they either don't venture out of the city core or whizz by on the shinkansen. Just off the top of my head, there is Takasaka Station on the Tobu Tojo Line, I use this station to get to one of my favorite lineside photo spots. Was there just last week.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB:Takasaka-st-east.jpg

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Ofuna and Saga Arashiyama are also like this.  Although the exturnal features of Saga Arashiyama is to make it look showa era.  And Ofuna is a gigantic example.

It be nice if Kato made assessories for their modern overhead station to allow multiple offices to be joined together.  And also the overhead walkway to come out at 45 degree angles.  Would add some variety to them, as they all look the same on 100s of layouts.

Edited by katoftw

Most of the stations on the Seibu Shinjuku line are on level ground, access being mainly via stairs up and over the tracks (though the stations with side platforms usually have direct access to the streets on either side). Nogata, Saginomiya, Shimo-Igusa, Kami-Shakujii, Higashi-Fushimi all come to mind.

I know there are many stations like this in the suburban or outer urban networks in Japan, but I know other prototypes.... Not in Japan, but there are several stations on the MTR in Hong Kong that are built very similarly to the Kato Modern overhead station, particularly on the East Rail line, which hosts a combination of metro and intercity passenger services and also some long distance freight to and from the Chinese Mainland rail network.