JR East Tohoku rolling stock?

Another Tohoku question--is there anything online that would tell me what rolling stock is used in this area? The Wikipedia page on JR East list the regional lines, but not all of the individual line pages say what equipment is used. Those that do seem to be for the non-electrified lines, and I want to stick with electrified ones.

The Wiki pages in English are pretty limited. Sadly the best way to surf them is to use Rikiachan and read the Japanese pages until something better than the English Wiki pages are expanded.

Eeee....that's a fun way to find pictures, but I'm not sure I can figure out a complicated question like "what runs in the Tohoku region" that way.

[enter cross-eyed headache smiley here....]

Just to narrow this down--anybody know of any EMUs that run in the Tohoku region? I've started going through all the Wikipedia listings for JR East EMUs and trying to figure them out one by one. It's very time-consuming, and sometimes the results aren't all that clear. If anybody knew of some that definitely run (or used to run) up that way, I'd appreciate the help.

CaptOblivious

There aren't many! I've been looking for answers to this question for a while myself. Here's what I've managed to figure out so far:

near Tokyo (outer commuter stock):

E231-1000

211-1000 and 211-3000

North of Tokyo:

455-series Green Liner

Thanks! But it looks like even the 455, according to one website, "was very active in the Sendai area until recently." Sendai counts as Tohoku as far as I can tell, but there's a lot more country north of there.

There's also this guy who built one out of Lego bricks, and he says they were on the Ban-Etsu Line(s), which look to be in Fukushima (Tohoku) and Niigata (non-Tohoku) prefectures.

Looks like Kato has a nice 3-car 455 set (10-189).

But if it turns out that Tohoku is a relatively uninteresting region for EMUs, I might think about returning to my original plan of focusing on Hokkaido.

And if you hadn't noticed it until now Shashinka has one. Just look around in the Gallery or even in the forum and you will see some photos and videos (normally tag as "455 Series", "Green Liner" and "Shashinka Ichiban").

CaptOblivious

I think the very northern tip of Tohoku is where all the real action is, but I don't know a whole lot about the trains they run that far north.

Thanks! But it looks like even the 455, according to one website, "was very active in the Sendai area until recently." Sendai counts as Tohoku as far as I can tell, but there's a lot more country north of there.

There's also this guy who built one out of Lego bricks, and he says they were on the Ban-Etsu Line(s), which look to be in Fukushima (Tohoku) and Niigata (non-Tohoku) prefectures.

But if it turns out that Tohoku is a relatively uninteresting region for EMUs, I might think about returning to my original plan of focusing on Hokkaido.

I own that set, and love it, though it gets weird looks from the railfans at Jinja Station since it is Kyushu after all.

I think the very northern tip of Tohoku is where all the real action is, but I don't know a whole lot about the trains they run that far north.

Yeah, that's the area I was picturing. A lot of the smaller lines aren't electrified. But some lines are, and of course there are some electrics/EMUs connecting through the tunnel to Hakodate. And...

[We interrupt this marginal post with a bulletin from the back issues of JRTR:}

Limited Expresses:

485 Hatsukari:  Hachinohe [?] -- Aomori -- Hakodate

E751 Super Hatsukari -    Hachinohe [?] -- Aomori -- Hakodate

485 Kamoshika:  Aomori -- Akita

485 Viva Aizu: Koriama -- Aizu Wakamatsu [!!]

485 Inaho: Niigata -- Akita

[boy, it's a good thing I like 485s!  :grin ]

[i think there may be others; I'll keep checking, and go back through my notes]

Sendai commuter lines, subway, and possible airport line [equipment not specified...]

The article mentions several private railways, but doesn't mention if they're electrified.

It also mentions:

* Towada Kanko Electric Railway Line 14.7 km (Class 1 Railroad Operator) Eleven stations

As of April 1, 2003, the company has the following equipment:

* Moha 7200 stock: #7204, 7205

* Moha 7700 stock and Kuha 7900 stock (formerly Tokyu 7700): #7701 + 7901–7903

* Moha 3400 stock: #3401

* Moha 3600 stock: #3603

* ED300: #301

* ED400: #402

* Tora 300: #301, 302

OK, so that's a start after all.

Is there a way to start some sort of database thread or article or something on the forum where I could start assembling a more complete list, and others could chip in?

I'll also re-read the JRTR article more carefully; I think there are more details there.

bikkuri bahn

Scott, be aware (as you probably are) that the JRTR article is 8 years out of date- alot of the rolling stock may have been retired and replaced with newer types.  Also, some private/third sector lines may have been abandoned.  For example, a picture of the Kurihara Den-en Railway is provided, but this line was abandoned in 2007.

One thing is to ask about rolling stock used on specific lines, then I and other members can help in getting the info.  If this is done systematically, we can build up a roster.

For example, the Sendai Airport Line uses JR East E721 AC 20kv units, as well as the identical Sendai Airport Railway SAT721 units (these units won the 2008 Laurel Prize):

http://railf.jp/news/2008/11/08/135500.html

You know Scott, you could decide to settle upon a city and then look at the passing lines there. If you use Wikipedia (english and then japanese) and other ressources you will be able to find a small bit of informations.

I just look at Sendai and the the Joban Line and I can tell you that there runs:

- E415-1500

- E501

- E531

- E701-1500

- E721

- 651 Series

- E653

- 485 Series

bikkuri bahn

I was at the local bookstore earlier today, and I saw this book:

http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/htm/4330069091.html

It details all electric rolling stock used by JR companies.  It is broken down by shed allocation and line.  Included are trainset formations and individual car numbers.  This would be THE definitive source for train types in use on all lines.

There is also a volume for diesel units:

http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/htm/433007009X.html

*These books come out biannually.  If I happen to see these at my public library, I'll let you know.

Scott, be aware (as you probably are) that the JRTR article is 8 years out of date- alot of the rolling stock may have been retired and replaced with newer types.

That's true--but I don't mind if something is a little out of date, as long as I can still find a model of it. :-)

One thing is to ask about rolling stock used on specific lines, then I and other members can help in getting the info.  If this is done systematically, we can build up a roster.

OK--maybe I'll try to set something up on the forum that way.

You know Scott, you could decide to settle upon a city and then look at the passing lines there.

That's partly what I've done so far, mostly by looking at Aomori, Akita, and a few others, since I'm trying to see what's up at the north end.

I was at the local bookstore earlier today, and I saw this book:

Looks like a great reference; I'll see if its available here.

Looks like the book is only available in Japan (no surprise), but there's an online store with English webpages that would ship it. The total cost would be about $37, so I think I'll hold off until I get desperate. :-)

You know Scott, you could decide to settle upon a city and then look at the passing lines there.

Sorry if I bothered you then. :)

Sorry if I bothered you then. :)

No, no bother at all! I appreciate the suggestion.