railsquid's random Japanese train photos

railsquid

3 hours ago, railsquid said:

Possibly the last E351 I'll see in scheduled service.

One of the middle cab cars facing away from the camera looked different from the other 3. Was it really different or just my perception?

On 3/11/2018 at 2:45 PM, kvp said:

One of the middle cab cars facing away from the camera looked different from the other 3. Was it really different or just my perception?

Yeah, I saw it too, the cab roof on that car is gray and seems to be  a bit longer than on the others.

Edited by Gryphr

EF65 2101 towing hybrid shunter thing (possibly from Niiza freight yard?) through Nishi-Kokubunji station.

41017313544_2ac636994a_z.jpg

Musashino Line. EF65 2101 on 2018-04-27 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I think this might be a regular working, at least I've seen an identical working around the same time on previous afternoons.

As always, mobile camera ad-hoc shot, don't complain about the picture quality ;)

• Like 4

That color on the EF65 always reminds me of the JR Aqua Liner.  I feel like it should be headed to the beach! 

• Like 1
railsquid

No I wasn't trespassing inside some tunnels:

40076357390_878aa20dac_z.jpg

Akasaka Mitsuke Station, Marunouchi tunnel by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Discovered a hitherto unknown (to me) connecting passage between Akasaka-Mitsuke Station and Nagatacho Station, part-way along there's a very wide grill shutter protecting access to a very wide side tunnel off the Marunouchi Line tunnel from the Yotsuya direction.

• Like 5
16 hours ago, railsquid said:

Platform staff waiting to assist a passenger disembark from a terminating Chuo-Sobu line train at Mitaka Station.

41992199632_c7667c60e3_z.jpg

Platform staff waiting to assist a passenger at Mitaka Station by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Japan's leading rail service. We never find that here. They will only scramble when they happen to see a passenger in need, but often, other commuters would already have helped the passenger get off the train....

Edited by JR 500系
On 5/12/2018 at 5:59 AM, JR 500系 said:

Japan's leading rail service. We never find that here. They will only scramble when they happen to see a passenger in need, but often, other commuters would already have helped the passenger get off the train....

Well, in Europe you often need to call and preschedule helper staff with a mobile wheelchair lift to get on and off old high floor trains. It's getting rareer as modern trains have built in lifts and on board crew to operate it or just low floor commuter sets (and trams) with automatic gap bridge flaps built in. (some mini shinkansen have those too) I assume newer japanese wheelchair friendly commuter and metro sets are equipped in a similar way.

It's still a bit weird seeing a train with JR West branding on the JR East part of Tokyo station...

e7-series-logo-2018-07-27.jpg

I was of course on the way to see the 115s operating in closest proximity to Tokyo:

shinano-railway-115-series-2018-07-27a.j

Bonus (static) EF63 in the background.

Also a glimpse of a (the) Nagano-liveried one passing the other way.

shinano-railway-115-series-2018-07-27b.j

While I was at it I took the opportunity to go on the upper deck of an E4 Shinkansen while they're still around:

e4-series-interior-2018-07-27.jpg

And an E2 on the way back:

e2-shinkansen-echigo-yuzawa-2018-07-27.j

Gotta love these unlimited passes :D

• Like 11
Das Steinkopf

I'm kind of jealous here as the only JR East Shinkansens I have ridden on are the E5's and E7's, mind you I have ridden every model that JR Central, JR West and JR Kyushu currently have in service, albeit the vast bulk of those are 700 or N700 Series.

It's be simple enough to do all the JR East (or West if you include the W7s) types in a day.

Man I miss the full Japan Rail Pass, kept having to check I wasn't going out of area. Still, it was nice to be able to randomly hop on some Shinkansens.

Meanwhile, back in the line of zairai, I bumped into this very spruce-looking EF81 95 at Omiya Statiio.

ef81-95-omiya-station-2018-07-27b.jpg

ef81-95-omiya-station-2018-07-27a.jpg

• Like 8

EF81 95 sure looks bright and clean.  I still wonder why JR East didn't keep some of the EF510-500s rather than selling them all on to JR Freight.  I would think they'll always have a need for a few electric locomotives, and these JNR era ones won't last forever.

On 7/27/2018 at 8:08 PM, railsquid said:

I was of course on the way to see the 115s operating in closest proximity to Tokyo:

shinano-railway-115-series-2018-07-27a.j

A bit of video for a change, from inside the above 115 series.

• Like 8

Another video I rescued from my camera from one of the final days of above-ground operations at Shimokitazawa. Looking east (towards Shinjuku) from the end of one of the platforms, a scene now gone for ever. Quality is not that great as the file was corrupted and I had to use some hackery to get it processed, and unfortunately video cuts out around 1:55.

Part 1 of the file, in much better quality:

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 4

I had a nightmare that I was trapped on a train with the scariest shanaihanbai attendant ever.

creepy-attendant.thumb.jpg.849658650f41a6addf075ecc2c1af999.jpg

I ran to the back of the train to try and get away, but it was being pursued by a wraith-like Shinkansen.

pursuing-shinkansen.thumb.jpg.64f73dafdb63ea8b5423044314185110.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
2 hours ago, railsquid said:

I ran to the back of the train to try and get away, but it was being pursued by a wraith-like Shinkansen.

pursuing-shinkansen.thumb.jpg.64f73dafdb63ea8b5423044314185110.jpg

Kinda reminded me of Duel

• Like 2