railsquid's random Japanese train photos

railsquid

railsquid
Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2022 at 5:12 AM, HankyuDentetsu said:

That shot of Ochanomizu station is fantastic, really had me stumped for a while. Been working away on that for quite some time, haven't they!

Yeah, one of those long-term projects for barrier-free access, earthquake-proofing and complicated part-way through by the need to lengthen the Chuo Line platforms, all in a typically constricted site.

Talking of which:

52072008246_07f834fe03_z.jpg

Ochanomizu Station Chuo Line-platform extension (2022-04-15) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 4
railsquid

Meanwhile exciting times at Shinjuku, where this E231-800 series was transiting through the Chuo Line platforms, presumably bound for Mitaka:

52072226674_df6b97955d_z.jpg

Shinjuku Station, 2022-05-13 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

52072003416_449a0fe176_z.jpg

Shinjuku Station, 2022-05-13 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

And just after I took those I saw what I think was a Boso Line 209 series heading in along the Yamanote Freight line (similar movement to this one I presume), but it has gone before I could take a photo.

• Like 6
railsquid

So, this "work-from-home" malarkey is all very good, except having been doing it since way before most of the world had heard of "Wuhan", so every now and then for the sake of my sanity and not murdering my family I do "work-from-train", which if you know the Kanto railway network, works surprisingly well (pro-tip: there's a Tully's coffee shop in the bowels of Omiya Station in the in-between floor above the Saikyo line platforms which is rarely crowded and has power sockets). Anyway one day I decided it would be fun to spend some quality time on the Musashino Line, then it occurred to me it crosses the Edo River, which has an excellent cycle path which is on my pre-bucket list, so on a whim I got out at whichever station was close to it to get an idea of what it's like (nice, not too infested with cosplay cyclists), and thanks to the interwebs I also discovered that if I walked a little way I'd be almost at the northern terminus of the  Nagareyama Line, which was kind of surprising as it was one of those many lines I'd kind-of-heard-of but always assumed it was somewhere way outside of Tokyo, but anyway here it is:

52146671390_68928490d4_z.jpg

nagareyama-2022-04-28_01 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

in all its pink bought-second-hand-from-Seibu-glory, and I am sure there is some kind of conspiracy which keeps these kind of miniscule railways alive so big companies like Seibu, Tokyu etc. can dispose of their old stock, anyway it's the kind of line which has a timetable you can remember at a glance (every 15 minutes from start to end of the day) and in a sane world would probably be replaced by some kind of light rail, but hey Japan.

Anyway it has some interesting advertising stickers:

52146206148_150f336935_z.jpg

nagareyama-2022-04-28_02 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

52146420819_66839ac5b0_z.jpg

nagareyama-2022-04-28_03 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 5
maihama eki

The Kato advertisement sticker is related to the impending Hobby Center Kato release of this sunglasses-required-livery Nagareyama train.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10864777

Who in their right mind would pre-order that? Said the guy that is obviously not in his right mind.

railsquid

Yeah, forgot to mention those ads were on the stations as well.

Nice modellable little line.