railsquid's random Japanese train photos

railsquid

Sorry, very early Spielberg. Classic movie about haunted tanker chasing Dennis weaver around in the desert. Pre Steven king and sorta the start of that genera. Similar looks out the rear view mirror. 

Rear view about 7:00

• Like 2
12 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Kinda reminded me of Duel

Somewhere online there's an image of Dennis Weaver seeing that Peterbilt in the rearview mirror, I think the caption is "shoulda got the Hemi" lol

Edited by miyakoji
wrong Dennis
1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

Sorry, very early Spielberg. Classic movie about haunted tanker chasing Dennis weaver around in the desert. Pre Steven king and sorta the start of that genera. Similar looks out the rear view mirror. 

Rear view about 7:00

Saw this when I was younger and scared as hell but kept watching it and those pics from squid were a little bit creepy but O Series doesn't look so intimidating. 🙂

It is a classic, now done over in a number of ways sooo many times. I saw it at the drive in as a kid when it came out. Loved it!

jeff

This slipped under my radar, are the 500 subseries joining the 0 subseries following the retirement of the E351s?  What about the Sazanami and Wakashio services?

As far as the Chuo Line is concerned, I think from what I've gathered is that the main long-distance Kaiji/Azusa services will be consolidated to the E353s; E257-500s will take over the rest; the E257-0s will be cascaded onto the Tokaido line for Odoriko services taking over from the 185s. No idea what will happen with Sazanami/Wakashio.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, railsquid said:

As far as the Chuo Line is concerned, I think from what I've gathered is that the main long-distance Kaiji/Azusa services will be consolidated to the E353s; E257-500s will take over the rest; the E257-0s will be cascaded onto the Tokaido line for Odoriko services taking over from the 185s. No idea what will happen with Sazanami/Wakashio.

FWIW according to Wikipedia, the E257-500s being transferred are surplus to requirements on the Chiba lines due to a reduction in demand/services.

• Like 1

The first set on the 11th is after the Tohoku Earthquake, right? I'm surprised there aren't more people there and at Shibuya at night given the closure of the lines. 

Edited by nah00

Both sets (Gotanda and Shibuya) taken on the afternoon of the 11th after the earthquake.

It was certainly pretty crowded around the bus stops with people hoping to get a bus, but otherwise with no trains running there's not much point of hanging round the station. Most people, like myself, were just passing through.

The roads did get very congested approaching Shinjuku, I ended up bypassing the station area. IIRC it took me about 3 hours to walk from Gotanda to Takadanobaba.

Yoyogi Station also on the evening of the 11th:

32385283007_d8a223d402.jpg

P1040856 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Did buses run extra service to try and make up for the shortfall? Honestly though I don't know if that would have even made a dent in it. Did they start the rolling blackouts/brownouts that day or was that later?

26 minutes ago, nah00 said:

Did buses run extra service to try and make up for the shortfall? Honestly though I don't know if that would have even made a dent in it.

Not sure to be honest, though I don't imagine there's much extra capacity in the bus system (or more precisely the bus systems) or possibility to drum up drivers at short notice.

Did they start the rolling blackouts/brownouts that day or was that later?

IIRC the whole Fukushima Daiichi thing didn't really start filtering through until later on the Sunday, and I remember being at home on Monday watching fuzzy live pictures of helicopters dropping seawater on it. By Wednesday it was definitely "OMG the electricity is running out" as I met my then GF (now Mrs Squid) in a very subdued and dark Shinjuku, and on Thursday I  went into the deserted office of the company I was working for having hurriedly purchased some portable hard disks (in a serenely quiet Yodobashi Camera) to copy a few TB of data in case they needed to be evacuated at short notice to somewhere with more electricity and less proximity to the general region of Fukushima, at which point the Yamanote line was operating at 10 minute intervals with rumours the trains may need to be shut down entirely (despite that it was not at all crowded) and I was getting envious looks because I'd snaffled a 12 pack of toilet paper from aforesaid deserted office.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I kinda figured the bus system wouldn't have much play, you can't really hold a surplus and be profitable. I was half a world away but I got a text in the middle of the night here saying 'turn on your TV'. I knew they were able to make up some of the power short-term but from what I understand they had to inspect every nuclear plant before they came back online not to mention the huge drop in generating capacity from losing Daiichi (and if I recall correctly Daiini was offline for a while too). 

IIRC all the nuclear plants were taken offline for longer-term inspection and evaluation of earthquake/tsunami safety, and I think even now some (many?) are still down. It was a scramble to save electricity and get mothballed non-nuclear power stations working, not helped by the 50Khz/60Khz "border" which made it impractical to access capacity in western Japan.

As for Feb, 9 of 39 reactors were operational within Japan.  Another 16 have applications to begin operations under the newer and stricter rules.

And this is the kind of thing they were busy photographing:

33691008188_21b3825b82.jpg

seibu-shinjuku-line-sakura-2019-04-07a by Rail Squid, on Flickr

40601833953_f05666ee7b.jpg

seibu-shinjuku-line-sakura-2019-04-07b by Rail Squid, on Flickr

33691007918_3b7a8585bc.jpg

seibu-shinjuku-line-sakura-2019-04-07c by Rail Squid, on Flickr

(taken with my mobile phone in fading light, so not the best pictures)

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 4