railsquid's random Japanese train photos

railsquid

I've been coming across this 189 set for the past couple of weeks but it always ran away before I could take any decent pictures, but today I happened to reach the platform at Mitaka when it was departing towards Shinjuku on a Kaiji service, and managed to catch up with it there.

33936250784_267aafb200_z.jpg
shinjuku-189-azusa-2 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

33969338363_1ce22593f6_z.jpg
shinjuku-189-5 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

33936250974_e9caa5f148_z.jpg
shinjuku-189-4 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

34737782186_bcdc553c90_z.jpg
shinjuku-189-3 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 8

Different roof structures at Yurakucho Station:

yurakucho-station-roof-variations by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Interesting, which roof is the newer one?  Looks like the taller one covers part of the train too, while the shorter one just covers the platform.

Tokyo Station, as viewed from the terrace on the old Post Office building:

tokyo-station-from-yucho-building by Rail Squid, on Flickr

tokyo-station-square-1 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

tokyo-station-square-2 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Plaza in front of the station is now almost complete, after being dug out to build Yet Another Underground Passage

Looking good, I remember when I was there in late summer of 2015 the whole plaza was a dirt lot from one end to the other.  Amazing view from the post office, is there a public viewing spot up there?

Interesting, which roof is the newer one?  Looks like the taller one covers part of the train too, while the shorter one just covers the platform.

I presume the taller roof is newer, added when the plaform was extended from the original 7 cars length or whatever. If you look on Google aerial view: https://goo.gl/maps/sLaTcZ4HZzm there's a short section added to the north (Tokyo end) too. I don't think it sticks out any further than the older roof.

Looking good, I remember when I was there in late summer of 2015 the whole plaza was a dirt lot from one end to the other.  Amazing view from the post office, is there a public viewing spot up there?

Yup:

34783275721_86496ebf6c_z.jpg

post-office-building-terrace by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Offers a good view over the rails on the south end of the station, but it was in the shade when I was there.

• Like 2

The far ends of the platforms of Yurakucho and Tokyo stations are about 500 meters separated. There's plenty of stations in the Tokyo metropolitan area separated for about that length. Makes sense if demand is strong enough.

I think Yoyogi/Shinjuku take the biscuit for closeness.

The narrowness is very likely a consequence of the platforms being extended beyond their original design length at a constricted viaduct location.

• Like 1

Tobu train at Yorii:
34561187473_cb5ce7a85b_z.jpg
yorii-tobu-train by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Emtpy Chichibu hoppers passing through Yorii:
34528115014_447a6c4391_z.jpg
Empty hoppers passing through Yorii Station by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Unfortunately the train was already passing when I got to the platform. I had  a work-related IT issue to solve the other day, so rather than stay stuck at home as always, I took the laptop on a tour of some random train lines where I could be sure of a seat, ended up taking the Hachiko line from Hajioji to Kawagoe (route I've never done before) then the Tobu Tojo line north to Yorii, another new route. Interestingly Kawagoe, where I took a short break, is much livelier than I remember. By contrast Yorii is really on the edge of civilisation, despite being the interchange of 3 lines (Tobu, Chichibu and JR Hachiko lines) - you know if you have trouble finding a vending machine outside the station that you're pretty far off the reservation. For the record there are two on the south side, as well as a single taxi and a little old lady pushing a little old lady shopping trolley , who evidently provides enough business for the "clothes for little old ladies" shop just outside the station entrance, but not enough for a convenience store. The north side, despite being adjacent to the local yakuba, is even barer, though there was a cigarrette vending machine for those with the inclination and a TASPO card. Plenty of vending machines on the Chichibu and Tobu platforms, at least.

• Like 9

This railway wagon (some sort of YO?) has been decorating the garden of a house in the neighbourhood for many years:

35511419041_c85e8d2898_z.jpg

railway-wagon-garden by Rail Squid, on Flickr

However I went past recently and the house was being torn down (it must have been ancient, like 40 years old) and the garden wall had part-vanished, allowing a better shot from the road. I went past the other day and both house and wagon have vanished completely.

• Like 6

Again, not exactly a train, but taken from a station platform (observant observers can even take a guess at which one):

36335358975_b553e1d29e_z.jpg

salon-de-moebel by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I guess if you have any furniture which needs to be beautified, this is the place to go.

Again, not exactly a train, but taken from a station platform (observant observers can even take a guess at which one)

According to the knowledge from the clouds, it's at Oku station in Tokyo. The location is not visible on streetview.

Speaking of which, I've noticed a lot of JNR Class EF64's are still in service in 2017. They're common sights in the Nagano area (if you've seen YouTuber ichi pika's viceos).