Kato EF65 taillights question

CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious

All,

While installing a DCC decoder into my Kato EF65-1000 (this one: http://www.katomodels.com/product/nmi/ef65pf_zemki_jrf.shtml), I noticed that there are red plastic lightpipes for taillights, a hollow space in the frame for a taillight, but no actual taillights! Does anyone know, or have any links for the best way to go about installing a set of taillights into this loco? My first reaction is to go buy some surface mount LEDs and resistors, but if I don't have to solder something that small, I don't want to...

Wow Capt, that is surprising that Kato didn't make working taillights on this model, they're really great on detailing their trains.

Is it possible that since there are holes where lights are supposed to be that they forgot to install them in the model you purchased? Can you write to the place where you bought it from and see if taillights aren't apart of this model? Does the train have headlights?

CaptOblivious

No, it wasn't an accident: It's clearly by design. The Kato page doesn't claim it has anything but headlights. There is no place on the old light board for any other lights than the included headlights. Just the lightpipes and a hollow. I'll probably play around with it in a few weeks, and if I figure out anything before someone else posts some advice, I'll post it here.