Starting a micro layout some technical questions (dodgy pictures added)

Nornicle

Hi I'm back with a question!

Why does this guy use two curved turnouts instead of trying to find a space on the straights to put in a PX280 double crossover? this seems like a waste of money and unrealistic?

45 minutes ago, Nornicle said:

Why does this guy use two curved turnouts instead of trying to find a space on the straights to put in a PX280 double crossover? this seems like a waste of money and unrealistic?

A ) It looks cool.

B ) Saves space as the turnouts are on the curves, allowing for example longer platforms at a station while still having the crossovers right at the enterance of a station.

C ) Single long crossovers are the preferred method for high speed lines for the prototype. Actually this is more realistic than adding a random double crossover on the opposite side of the layout right in the middle of an open stretch of track.

ps: The Tomix curved turnouts were specifically designed to create a crossover between a 280 and an 317 mm double track oval. The possiblity of using them on a single track layout is just a sideeffect.

• Like 2

i’m back! may need to go out and buy three more MX set but have some more gear.(cross posted from what did you order)

I have no idea what i’m doing (i just have a starter kit, some random track and some locos) buuut im in tokyo and wanted to do a tram set up with b shorty and trams... i hope i bought the right stuff! i’m not versed in layouts so went with Tomix pre templated.

what’s here?

1. Tomytec bus set BRT A and A

2. Tomix mini fine track parts MA, MA, MB, MB and MX

3. Bandai yamanote line b shorty (2 sets) with kato bogey and motor.

4. Modemo hanshin type 71 and tokyo toden type 8800 (i don’t know anything about trams  just picked two good looking ones)

5. Kato uni track adapter as i’m visting the kato center tomorrow (!)

6. Tomix 2018/2019 guide

i did want a shinkansen b shorty (i don’t think i will ever have layout space large enough for a full shinkansen), but out of stock!

any tips would be much appreciated!

C989A153-EF3B-4EF6-90EC-433209898C3C.jpeg

• Like 2

That's quite a hual! Nice! 

With those pieces, you could probably build a nice city style layout with the moving bus in the centre, since the E235 B-shorties fit right in a city landscape together with the trams. It seems you have a Kato track converter there? Are you thinking of making a Kato + Tomix track layout? Or just a Tomix track layout? 

Nornicle,

great! Just getting some track up and running is the start and get on playing with things. You can fill in later and yes you will have bought a few wrong pieces inevitably but that always happens, so no worries.

you can find some btrain shinkansens on ebay, Amazon.com, and amazon..co.jp. One member here was selling off a number of sets on ebay, I think mainly 8car sets (those are a bit rarer these days and more expensive), but some 4 car I think.

cheers

jeff

Thanks Jeff also for the private messages I’ve set up a basic layout with some first of my terrain.. now I’ve started I’m already thinking on how to build a more fixed layout given I also have a raised layout (tomix layout C) 

387A30F5-330A-4012-8203-3F03F2B22C53.jpeg

• Like 3

Wow what’s a blast from the past... that little layout was a lot of fun!  it could run a nice tram on the inside and longer track on the outside. I’d forgotten how much fun that one was... anyway with COVID working from home... here i submit my WORK FROM HOME layout.   The gradient is very steep and the turns are very tight so nothing beyond trams or Thomas the tank engine can run on this, but it sure does maker the work day more fun. 

1AC9BF6C-B2AA-4728-BB0D-EB13F4D6B23F.jpeg

4D0C9340-3D0E-4EAD-B7F5-2F9842A30925.jpeg

F94BC9AF-20D3-4E39-A097-BFC64B125183.jpeg

• Like 5