Starting a micro layout some technical questions (dodgy pictures added)

Nornicle

hey kato - I queried miniatronics and they said they no longer make the RU2-1 which is strange because it is still on their website... if you are going to get one, happy to split US shipping with you as US shipping always seems to be a headache... 

Also I wanted to get a little thomas train for my setup for my 2 year old... but they go online for ridiculous prices (like >$300 for the train, and >$380 for the set)

is there a reason for that!?

Also I wanted to get a little thomas train for my setup for my 2 year old... but they go online for ridiculous prices (like >$300 for the train, and >$380 for the set)

is there a reason for that!?

All out of stock stuff goes for more coin.  and long term out of stock stuff like the Tomix Thomas range is going for big dollars.  You could buy the Thomas, Annie and Carabel set for about $150AUD 2 years ago.  Now look at the prices.  Supply and demand.  Little supply, big demands.

Will be building off this set:

Basic Set SD Blue Train (Fine Track, Track Layout Pattern A) (Model Train)

Seems like a good deal for a 5 car train, all the other starters are 3 or 4 cars. And I like the look of the blue train.

Also considering the Nagano electric railway or a DE10 or a DD16 as a second train. Trains start to add up very quickly dollars wise!!

Will then add on the track and what not!.. thoughts?!

post-1969-0-40680000-1421630311.png

(i used scarm for the design, it's not too easy to use, but it's free)

Quick question KVP  - putting my shopping cart together, what parts of this could I send up a viaduct to add some visual interest? I won't be using shinkansen!

none really.  not enough length of track to raise it to proper 50/55mm height.  you might be able to lift the bottom half of the C317 oval, but it will only be raise 5-10mm.

none really.  not enough length of track to raise it to proper 50/55mm height.  you might be able to lift the bottom half of the C317 oval, but it will only be raise 5-10mm.

hrmm i can expand another 44cm wide and 30cm high will play with that tonight (I've now allocated 4' X 2.5' for this layout as it can fit neatly under my desk, or hidden away.)

will play around with anyrail tonight to see if I can't fit in a 280mm bridge and a proper elevation :P

Edited by Nornicle

Will be building off this set:

Basic Set SD Blue Train (Fine Track, Track Layout Pattern A) (Model Train)

Seems like a good deal for a 5 car train, all the other starters are 3 or 4 cars. And I like the look of the blue train.

Also considering the Nagano electric railway or a DE10 or a DD16 as a second train. Trains start to add up very quickly dollars wise!!

Will then add on the track and what not!.. thoughts?!

EMS shipping = 4700JPY/$51AUD.  You might be better off seeing if you can get all the pieces in 4 packs etc and try for SAL shipping.  SAL shipping should only be 1580/1680JPY.

The first Tomix layout I posted about in this thread was $170AUD of track, and it was 1580 SAL shipping cost.

Edited by katoftw

Can't get sal shipping on these larger sets, the box size gets too big and probably at the weight where sal maxes out at 2kg.

Jeff

Can't get sal shipping on these larger sets, the box size gets too big and probably at the weight where sal maxes out at 2kg.

Jeff

Also all sides combined cannot be in excess of 90cm.  And longest side has to be 60cm or smaller.  Most of these boxes are approx 50x30x20cm.

Actually I take it back.  This being an older set is actually good value.  I did some sums:-

+ Box set 13,500

+ EMS 4700

= Total 18,200

+ S280 2pk 2x360=720

+ C280 2pk 4x360=1440

+ N-600 5220

+ Feeder 450

+ Rerailer 90

+ EF66 3 car set

+ SAL 1880

= Total 17000

So for 1200 yen more, you can get 2 extra passenger cars going the box set with faster EMS shipping.

I do have one question though.  You mentioned earlier in the thread about constant light feature?  Do you want it?  The controller in the basic sets do not support the feature.

Edited by katoftw

Haha that's a good catch... I figured the 90 dollars for constant lighting can be saved for a future upgrade, whereas right now more track, scenery and trains will keep my interest more than constant lighting or automation, so step one will be to enjoy the basic set and double loop so around $250 to $300

Had some sticker shock at check out (given this is my first foray into model trains) so backed off the outer loop (the double crossing is expensive)

and went for the smaller loop with sidings, so I can play with two trains using one controller. if I continue to like the hobby I will then build out from this! 

024 Fine Track Straight Track S70 (F) (Set of 2) (Model Train) Tomix N Scale Track
Item price :252 yen  x  Q.T.Y :1 = 252 yen
1421 Fine Track Buffer Track (F) (Model Train) Tomix N Scale Track
Item price :270 yen  x  Q.T.Y :1 = 270 yen
1092 Fine Track Straight Track S280(F) (Set of 10) (Model Train) Tomix N Scale Fine Track
Item price :1,620 yen  x  Q.T.Y :1 = 1,620 yen
1274 Fine Track Electric Points N-PL280-30 (F) (Completely Electrofrog Type) (Model Train) Tomix N Scale Track
Item price :2,160 yen  x  Q.T.Y :2 = 4,320 yen
5531 Points Control Box N-S (for Electric Points N) (Model Train) Tomix N Scale Control Systems
Item price :720 yen  x  Q.T.Y :2 = 1,440 yen
90159 Basic Set SD Blue Train (Fine Track, Track Layout Pattern A) (Model Train) Tomix N Scale|1/150 The Set for Beginners|Locomotive|Passenger Car
Item price :13,500 yen  x  Q.T.Y :1 = 13,500 yen
92404 DE10 & Wamu80000 Freight Train Set (Model Train) Tomix N Scale|1/150 Locomotive|Freight Car
Item price :6,750 yen  x  Q.T.Y :1 = 6,750 yen
HobbySearch Shipping Cost :6,100yen
Total cost   34,252 yen

still cost me about $350!

I realised I really would like to be able to go up to viaducts so whatever my expansion will be will need to consider that too.

Would it be strange to put the station between the two sidings? or would they be more like a train yard?

Edited by Nornicle

Tha adapter is a universal source (100-240v 50-60hz), so all it needs like kato said is a plug receptacle adapter for an Australian plug to a blade style (North America/japan), no transformer needed.

Jeff

I've done some research and I would like to make a simulation of the north west area of Kyoto, I like the older style roofing, small little tram lines right next to houses, with a larger 'proper' railway servicing it nearby.

This also makes for interesting scenery between the beautiful Japanese gardens, rock gardens and the dense housing.

• Like 1

Yep that's the one... It's an amazing area, water, tunnels, trams, commuter trains, hills, gardens, commercial and residential all in one area!

Those are some lovely photos!

Edited by Nornicle